Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Need a drill press - which should I get?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a drill press - which should I get?

I want to purchase a drill press. After reading different reviews and forums, I am very confused over what brand to get. Was considering Home Depot's Rigid floor type for $289. Looks good to me, but I don't have much experience with Rigid tools. I do love my Rigid shopvac, but have only had it for one year. Considered Craftsman, but was told they're not real good quality anymore. Grizzly looks good, but their reviews were awful. Any recommendations for a decent drill press for about $300? Just need one as a home hobbyist, but would like it to do the job and be dependable. Thanx.

Floor model, go with the Ridgid. If you can use a bench top, the 12" Ryobi at less than half your budget is a great drill press.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Although I have never disagreed with papadan, I would have to say that I would not buy the 12" Ryobi. I unfortunately did a while ago and continue to regret it. The chuck wobble is horrible and I have gotten no help to resolve it. Even for the price I would not consider the wobble to be within my expectations. The instructions for even installing the chuck are unusual and unreasonable. I would highly suggest that you go somewhere other than Ryobi. I own other Ryobi tools and haven't much problem with them, but would never suggest the 12" benchtop drill press to anyone.

Just my $.02 worth.....

WWS
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

This one from Harbor Freight, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43378 consistantly receives high marks from its owners. If you happen to live near one of their retail stores and also have one of their 20% off coupons then...........well, you do the math.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I’ve had the Ridgid DP for a couple of years and I have no complaints with it. It runs smooth, quiet and has ample power to do anything I have asked of it. If by chance you are active duty military, guard, reserves or a veteran (or perhaps someone in your family could make the purchase if they qualify) you get 10% off this weekend.

Woodslayer

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
            This one from Harbor Freight, http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43378 consistantly receives high marks from its owners. If you happen to live near one of their retail stores and also have one of their 20% off coupons then...........well, you do the math.
            Harbor Freight?

Yea, that's a quality Chinese built tool.

See the posts above on the plumber's forum regarding Harbor Freight.
            the dog

Comment

Thanks, guys!

Thanks a lot! Y'all have been very helpful. I probably will try the Rigid floor model from my local Home Depot. Will let you know how I like it.

Comment

Look at the Jet® DPs also, Sears carries some of their line and they are available elsewhere too.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by plumbdog10
                  Harbor Freight?

Yea, that's a quality Chinese built tool.

See the posts above on the plumber's forum regarding Harbor Freight.
                  I have to say most of the stuff from Harbor Freight is not quite the best quality but there are some gems to be found like the above mentioned drill press. I personnally don't have it but have heard good things about it time and time again.

Isn't most of Ridgid's stuff chinese built as well? I have a bunch of Ridgid stuff like the TS3650, Mitre saw, planer, numerous drills.. etc. Really liked it at one point but not so sure of the quality anymore. I was in the market for a floor model drill press to replace my bench top model and thought the ridgid would be the logical choice. Did on search on here and the first two posts I came across regarding the DP was not too flattering. After using the miter saw for a couple of months of very light use the main support table of the miter saw is showing cracks. Need to get it fixed or replaced.

Comment

Working...
                  X