X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 5" RO Sander

I just bought a new Ridgid 5" RO Sander today to replace my PorterCable. When I turned it on I was surprised by how slow it spun. I used the speed adjuster and all that seemed to do was increase the vibration. It doesn't spin nearly as fast as my old PorterCable. Now am I dilusional in thinking that it should spin faster? If i wanted it to simply vibrate I would use my finishing sander. Any chance this is defective?

Don't have a Ridgid, but it probably has a clutch system that doesn't kick in until you put pressure on it. Does it still "just vibrate" when you set it on a piece of wood? My DeWalt (over 5 yrs old) doesn't orbit until there is pressure on the pad. The weight of the sander should be all the pressure you need. This is a feature in the electric ones that is opposite most air powered. With electric ones, you start the sander and put it on the piece, remove it and then shut it off. With pneumatic, you start and stop it while its still contacting the surface.

HTH:

Go
    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I think I agree with GoFor. I've had both the Ridgid 2600 since it was first introduced almost three years ago. It works very well and I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I do notice that if you are just holding it and not putting it to work, it's spin seems a bit slow (compared to the Ryobi I have and a Makita that I used before buying the Ridgid). But once you apply it to your work, it spins rather well. Not as fast as the Makita did, but the Ridgid was much easier to control and it does a much better job, IMO.

This is a "Random" Orbit Sander and not a disc sander which would leave swirl marks. The spin just needs to be fast enough to keep the orbiting action from leaving a pattern. At least that's how I view it.

CWS

Comment

New 5" Random Orbit

I bought a 5" and took it out of the box and it wouldn't orbit. Took it back to the Depot and got another, it would orbit slowly. Once I started using it, it started to work correctly. Apparently, the clutch needs some break-in time. I've used it now for about two years with no problems.

Comment

I went through several of the 5" ridgids and they were all lemons, the variable speed adjustment wouldn't work whether or not the sander was on wood. I got the 6" model and it is leagues better than any 5" I have used, the dust collection even works well.
          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I went through several of the 5" ridgids and they were all lemons, the variable speed adjustment wouldn't work whether or not the sander was on wood. I got the 6" model and it is leagues better than any 5" I have used, the dust collection even works well.
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Re: New 5" RO Sander

Originally posted by Rafael View Post
              Have you ever connected a shop vac hose to your machnes?

I've tried twice on two diferent machines and they both died within 10 seconds. Never to run again. I brought them back to HD for a complete refund.

Unfortunate , because it's a great sander.

G

Comment

Re: New 5" RO Sander

I purchased my Ridgid 5-inch ROS when they were first introduced. I think that's was four years ago. In any case, I've used it quite lot and it's still going strong. Never a problem with the variable speed or anything else and I've used the vac with it quite a bit, although I prefer not to have that hose lugging off the end. Therefore I try to do as much work out doors as possible. This past summer, I refinished all the oak wainscoat in the old home we recently purchased. The ROS was definitely a work horse on that project with the 4-inch wide boards needed sanding on all sides. I had to chisell off the glue on the backside, and then sand to get a level mounting surface, and the face and edges had to be completely dressed and refinished, thanks to the previous owners cats.

CWS

Comment

Working...
                X