X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batteries

I have seen some posts of new and old batteries. I bought my 18 volt set less than a year ago and am just wondering if I have the "new" or old batteries. I seem to get pretty good run time. Thanks.

The new batteries only recently came out with the 18v drills. Also the new ones have 2.5 Ah on the side of the battery inorange letters the old ones have Max HC on the side. And you will glad to know the new batteried will work with your older tools no problem.

Comment

looks like mine are the old ones. Are the older ones really that bad? I have great performance from mine.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaron
        The new batteries only recently came out with the 18v drills.

Just a side note the Ridgid 14.4 drills are now being shipped with the new 2.5 ah batteries as well.

Comment

There are three different amp hr batteries. The max HC have a great run time I do have days that i drain all five of my batteries but i really love having the two bay charger for this reason. The 2.5 will obviously be better but once they are sold separately I'll definitely get a few of those too.

Like dewalt and other brands have,..Ridgid also has some smaller 1.4 amp hour batteries that come with the 3/8" chuck drills. While the X2 drills have the Max HC. All the new combo kits being sold now at my local HD are the 2.5 AH batteries, but the have replaced parts the tools with lower quality pieces to somehow offset the cost of the batteries.
          Last edited by Polar Sparky 1224; 05-31-2006, 11:13 PM.
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

battery info

I discussed this same topic recently. The newer 18v 2.5ah batteries are only offered with the kits and the folks at Home Depot are not even aware of the 2.5AH batteries!!

I do find it interesting though, that they are being sold readily on e-bay..I wonder if one or two of the folks selling a lot of ridgid tools work for them????
            How else can they get their hands on stuff that even this website does not show [recognize]??????

The 18vHC battery is rated at 2.0AH and if you treat them properly [nicads do not like abuse] you will get many quality run times and they should do just fine. I have 4 18vHC batteries and as a weekend warrior I find their run time etc. just fine. Of course the battery will poop out when I have that last hole to drill or screw to secure ha ha.

I doubt the extra 0.5AH is that critical! I'd be more interested in the lighter weight Lithium type battery when they eventually hit the Ridgid market.
            I do wonder then if they will design the battery to be charged with their very nice dual charger? Or will we have to buy another charging system?

Bottom line..unless you have problems with the 18vHC battery I would not be too concerned about the 2.5AH one at least for now.

Cactus man Glendale, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by cellardoor
              Just a side note the Ridgid 14.4 drills are now being shipped with the new 2.5 ah batteries as well.
              You are right the 14.4 are now being sent out with the new 2.5 supposedly the 12v are going to be 2.5 also.

As far as this website it is way behind new products really needs to be updated badly.

Comment

Originally posted by Polar Sparky 1224
                There are three different amp hr batteries. The max HC have a great run time I do have days that i drain all five of my batteries but i really love having the two bay charger for this reason. The 2.5 will obviously be better but once they are sold separately I'll definitely get a few of those too.

Like dewalt and other brands have,..Ridgid also has some smaller 1.4 amp hour batteries that come with the 3/8" chuck drills. While the X2 drills have the Max HC. All the new combo kits being sold now at my local HD are the 2.5 AH batteries, but the have replaced parts the tools with lower quality pieces to somehow offset the cost of the batteries.
                I just brought an 14.4 X2 home and noticed that it only has the single-bay charger, even though both HD & Ridgid's websites only show this drill w/the dual charger. In fact, HD's promotional ad ("free" 14.4 impact driver w/purchase) specifically shows the dual-bay charger in the ad photo and ad text. I called Ridgid customer service; they did not have an explanation, but said that maybe I could still track down the drill w/dual-charger somewhere in the HD system. They told me this was the only change.

Then after speaking with tech support at some length, I was told they had updated the battery from 1.9ah to the 2.5ah. So I guess going to the single charger is the 'offset'. Then I pointed out that the box says "475 in lbs" torque instead of the 415 on their website; they said this was a mis-print; that it's definitely 415 and they'd look into it. I asked and he specifically told me that the tool itself is exactly the same.

I think I'd prefer the updated batteries over the dual-charger. I sure hope this drill & impact are better tools than my first impression of the company would lead me to think. They don't seem to know what's going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Slice
                  I just brought an 14.4 X2 home and noticed that it only has the single-bay charger, even though both HD & Ridgid's websites only show this drill w/the dual charger. In fact, HD's promotional ad ("free" 14.4 impact driver w/purchase) specifically shows the dual-bay charger in the ad photo and ad text. I called Ridgid customer service; they did not have an explanation, but said that maybe I could still track down the drill w/dual-charger somewhere in the HD system. They told me this was the only change.

Then after speaking with tech support at some length, I was told they had updated the battery from 1.9ah to the 2.5ah. So I guess going to the single charger is the 'offset'. Then I pointed out that the box says "475 in lbs" torque instead of the 415 on their website; they said this was a mis-print; that it's definitely 415 and they'd look into it. I asked and he specifically told me that the tool itself is exactly the same.

I think I'd prefer the updated batteries over the dual-charger. I sure hope this drill & impact are better tools than my first impression of the company would lead me to think. They don't seem to know what's going on.
                  The new 14.4v drills with the new 2.5 Ah batteries are 475 in lbs of torque with a single port charger. The older 14.4v drills with the older batteries come with the dual port charger and are 415 in lbs. Why the charger change I have no idea it is a bad idea if you ask me? The website is so far behind both this one and the Home Depot site.

Comment

Yeah, they cheaped out on replacing the dual charger with the single, as far as I'm concerned. I like the idea of the cooling fan for hot conditions. However, I'm not in the trades, so it'd be unlikely I'd run one battery down using one tool before the second one gets charged, esp the longer run-time 2.5's. Though less convenient to have to swap one battery between several tools while the other one charges. Oh well, I'll have 3 once the impact driver gets here.

Anyone heard a price point yet for the Ridgid Lithium combo kit? I wonder if they're planning to eventually have Lithium for the lower voltage tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Slice
                      Anyone heard a price point yet for the Ridgid Lithium combo kit? I wonder if they're planning to eventually have Lithium for the lower voltage tools.
                      $699 for the 4 pc set

Comment

Working...
                      X