How to prevent indent mark on G.I. pipe during pipe threading/cutting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent indent mark on G.I. pipe during pipe threading/cutting

Indents or scratch were marked on my threaded/ cut G.I. pipe while using the power threader machine model 1215, can this be eliminated as the piping are rejected by the client.
    Any rubber like shoes can be added to the clamp to prevent the marking and where to buy.
    Is the pipe stand/support are rubber rollers to prevent scractch at the orther end too.

with this type of jaw, there will be dimples that are going to appear. galvanized pipe has a softer coating than steel pipe. as long as the jaws are tight, the pipe won't slip and the scarring will be minimal. if the jaws are slipping then there would be an objectional scar.

what size pipe, how long of pieces are being threaded and where is this going to be installed?

there might be a way to solve this if it's short pieces. don't thing wrapping the pipe will work since the tape will cause the jaws to slip.

i have a 1210 and 300, both use the same style of jaw. neither one has an objectional burr.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick;
      F.S. pipe range from 1" to 4" installed to ceiling and wall, pipe length ranged from 2 feet to 12 feet.
      Did you use the pipe stand/support for the long pipe, is the roller make of rubber?

Comment

the stand can be wrapped with a rag or sticky felt to allow for the pipe to slip in the stand. if the stand is making an objectional scar, then i think the owner is a little over the top.

the jaws are going to make some scar to grip the pipe properly.

how to you thread 2.5''- 4'' with a 1215 machine?

what is the pipe being used for? is it going to be exposed the whole time?

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

Hi Rick;
          I did use 1224 for large diameter pipe too.
          The Fire service pipes are exposed to view, the client - a local authority great conern the removal of galvanising, and I did admitted to coat with zinc riched primer or the likes.
          Indeed some remarkable indent were found made by continuing using the machine to screwing up fittings to the pipe during my site visit to-day.
          The plumber screwing up the fittings thus causing jaw slipping thus result in the continue indent/marks on the pipe.
          I try to lobby them to accept the pipe but additional coat of galvanising paint like rust oleum/Zinga, any suggestion?
          WK

Comment

Originally posted by swkleung
            Indents or scratch were marked on my threaded/ cut G.I. pipe while using the power threader machine model 1215, can this be eliminated as the piping are rejected by the client.
            Any rubber like shoes can be added to the clamp to prevent the marking and where to buy.
            Is the pipe stand/support are rubber rollers to prevent scractch at the orther end too.
            I am not familiar with the 1215, but I will say that if you wrap the pipe with 1/16 inch (~2mm) thick red silicon rubber and clamp down on it well, the friction generated should be more than enough to prevent spinning of the pipe and prevent any damage to the galvanised surface of the pipe.

try it with a test piece and let me know how it works out for you. I've used this trick with stainless steel piping for the bio-pharm industry.

Comment

Working...
            X