What is Ridgid's Plan?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Ridgid's Plan?

I recently bought the TS3650, and love it. I have become an overnight fan of Ridgid, but I continue to be frustrated that I have to go to HD to purchase the stuff. I'm in the market for a jointer now, and having a terrible time finding a store that stocks it. It's not the easiest thing to even find an "associate" that knows what a jointer is!

I can only speak for the stores I've been to here in Phoenix, but usually, the display models look terrible, obviously thrown together by someone that could care less, and they are covered with dust and handprints, not very impressive, for sure. Had it not been for stumbling onto this forum, I probably would never have even considered Ridgid for the table saw.

I assume Ridgid has some sort of sweet deal with HD, but I sure wish I could buy their products at a real woodworking store, with knowledgeable sales people, and hey, here's a concept; maybe even have a wall full of accessories for the tool once you've bought it!

Now, I'm looking at the nice enclosed base Craftsman Jointer (#OR40503) with another 1/2 horse of motor and thinking if nothing else, it may be less of a hassle to buy and find parts for.

Ok, I'm through ranting.

Steven,

I'm not sure what part of Arizona you live in, but doing a search via Ridgid's website came up with quite a few other places where you can purchases their tools, other then HD. They've also got online retailors as well. Hope that helps a little. Good luck and keep us posted.

Midnite

Comment

I understand there are other retailers, but a vast majority only carry plumbing stuff, it's nearly impossible to find anyone that carries a good variety of the Ridgid woodworking tools. As far as the online vendors, you'll pay 100 to 150 in freight, and in the case of the JP1610 Jointer, that moves the price range where you have to consider some other brands very seriously.

Comment

StevenD,

Your concerns are shared by many! Unfortunately, TTI (who manufactures these tools under license from Ridge Tool Company) has an "exclusive" deal with Home Depot; and it appears that HD has the upper hand with this contract. Ridgid and Ryobi (both owned by TTI) are distributed and sold only through Home Depot, here in the U.S. Since HD is the only authorized retailer, my concern would be warranty coverage should the tool be purchased elsewhere.

You are absolutely correct regarding the setup and display of these tools and I really wish Ridgid would take Home Depot to task on this. Furthermore, Home Depot seems to have the final say on what it will and will not market and unfortunately, we've see a few tools disappear from the market because HD decides it's not in their best interest. The "orange aprons" rarely have a clue as to what they are selling. Education within HD is very poor and you'll get an awful lot of dis-information. Sad though, as I think a lot of the associates want to do a better job and certainly the tools are of a quality that deserves much better.

CWS

Comment

will home depot order it for you?

that's a concept i'm sure the category killers shy away from

Comment

It it were me and I was going to consider a jointer other than the Ridgid I'd look at the Delta over the Craftsman. I think the Delta X series jointer is a much better machine. It will cost a few bucks more, but it is worth it.
            I too thought the Craftsman looked good on their web site and in the catalog, but when I went and saw it first hand, twiddled the knobs a bit, and gave it a good overall look-see, I was not impressed. I then went and bought the Delta for which I got a free mobile base and a $50 rebate check from Delta. When you factor those in, the Delta was cheaper than the craftsman plus I had a mobile base.
            "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
            John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Cheeky, the store did not seem to have any interest in ordering it for me, said to go to the website. That's when the $121 shipping charge came into play.

Bob, until I bought the TS3650, I've almost exclusively bought Delta, and agree that the X series stuff is pretty nice. I haven't found any current rebate and/or mobile base deals for Delta, (except for a band saw, which of course was not in effect when I bought mine) and it's just killing me that a purchase I had planned out for $349 (HD) would run over $600.

I guess the other thing that really torques me about all this, is that like most of you guys out there, you tell the wife how much you're going to spend, rat-hole the money $20-$30 at a time, get ready to make the purchase, and then it all goes gunnie bags on you.

Ah well, nobody forced this hobby on me...

Comment

Steven, I too feel your pain. I don't know where in Phoenix you are located, but if it helps I did see the Ridgid Jointer in stock at the following two HD:

Loop 101 & 51st Ave
                I-17 & Thunderbird

I will admit that it has been a couple of weeks since I have been there, but they each had a few in stock at the time.

WWS
                Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

typical that when they have free shipping on HD.com that it doesn't apply to jointers, etc. i realize the added cost of shipping these large items, but it's a shame a customer has to absorb the added cost (much more than sales tax).

wouldn't it be nice if you could order it online and pick it up at the store without the shipping charge.

why don't you email HD corporate about your experience......seriously. i usually do in similar circumstances and am rarely disatisfied.

Comment

[QUOTE=StevenD]I recently bought the TS3650, and love it. I have become an overnight fan of Ridgid, but I continue to be frustrated that I have to go to HD to purchase the stuff. I'm in the market for a jointer now, and having a terrible time finding a store that stocks it. It's not the easiest thing to even find an "associate" that knows what a jointer is!

I can only speak for the stores I've been to here in Phoenix, but usually, the display models look terrible, obviously thrown together by someone that could care less, and they are covered with dust and handprints, not very impressive, for sure. Had it not been for stumbling onto this forum, I probably would never have even considered Ridgid for the table saw.

I assume Ridgid has some sort of sweet deal with HD, but I sure wish I could buy their products at a real woodworking store, with knowledgeable sales people, and hey, here's a concept; maybe even have a wall full of accessories for the tool once you've bought it!
                    QUOTE]

Home Depot is a joke. They act very together and professional on tv but when you actually go there it is nothing like they claim. HD's only redeeming quality is the wide variety of products they carry far better selection than Lowes. I will admit there are some great employees working for HD but they are hard to find and usually are worked to death and treated like crap by HD and dont stick around. Most of the time you find the usually idiots who don't know anything about anything much less where they are. I find that talking with the Dewalt/Ridgid/Makita reps in the stores accomplishes far far more. Thay actually know about the tools and can be very helpful.

Comment

Well, to end the saga, I found a jointer at the HD Cheeky had mentioned. Of course, instead of being $349 like it was on the web, they had it listed at $399. But, since I like my tablesaw so much I went ahead and bought it. Got it put together, ran some pine and cherry through it, and that made me happy again.

I realize that on their website, HD says that "Local store prices may vary from those displayed on the web", but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and certainly borderlines on bait and switch tactics. Not to mention that a 13% difference is quite a "variance".

I guess it's just a good thing that Ridgid is building a good tool, because I got pushed about as far as I could on this deal. At least now I'm done with it and I can get back to making sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith
                        StevenD,

Your concerns are shared by many! Unfortunately, TTI (who manufactures these tools under license from Ridge Tool Company) has an "exclusive" deal with Home Depot; and it appears that HD has the upper hand with this contract. Ridgid and Ryobi (both owned by TTI) are distributed and sold only through Home Depot, here in the U.S. Since HD is the only authorized retailer, my concern would be warranty coverage should the tool be purchased elsewhere.

You are absolutely correct regarding the setup and display of these tools and I really wish Ridgid would take Home Depot to task on this. Furthermore, Home Depot seems to have the final say on what it will and will not market and unfortunately, we've see a few tools disappear from the market because HD decides it's not in their best interest. The "orange aprons" rarely have a clue as to what they are selling. Education within HD is very poor and you'll get an awful lot of dis-information. Sad though, as I think a lot of the associates want to do a better job and certainly the tools are of a quality that deserves much better.

CWS
                        Interesting comments but most Ridgid displays are assembled and maintained by Ridgid Reps they are called vendors and are charged by their company to come in and insure their product is properly displayed, a ready inventory is on hand and that the sales associates know the product to sale it.
                        If your HD has a sloppy display, poorly assemblied products, no inventory or associates that don't know anythng about Ridgid tools, it is Ridgid's fault not Home Depots.
                        I'm very familiar with the Dewalt vendor in this area and see him in Lowes all the time. He dusts his displays, hold impromptu training sessions and uses customer questions to train the Lowes employees. I have ran into Ridgid vendors in HD and they usually are looking for a place to hide, know little or nothing about their products and tend to be smart mouthed.
                        I think Ridgid is shooting itself in the foot. At one time Ridgid marketed directly to dealers and Emerson to Sears but now they are in the market place and keep dropping the ball. They need their vendors to do their job and encourage HD employees to be more involved with their products. Until this happens sales will slip.
                        Rev Ed

Comment

Ed I agree with much of what you said however until Home Depot changes its attitude towards its employees very little is going to get better.

How many times do you go into a HD and see a new face vs the times you go in and see a long term employee? At the HD nearest to me, I can easily count on one hand the number of employees that I know have worked there more than six months.

Granted the reps could do a better job of training HD employees but all the fault can't be put into their laps either. Part of employee training consists of training employees who then in turn train the new employees as they come on board. I can't blame the RIDGID Reps for not wanting to go through RIDGID 101 with new people every few months. What I don't know is whether the RIDGID Rep that handles HD is also the same RIDGID/RIDGE Tool Rep that also takes care of commercial wholesale supply houses. If they are, then they certainly don't have the time to give Home Depot's new employees the training they require. Should RIDGID be blamed for Home Depots in-house failure to retain employees?
                          ================================================== ====
                          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Originally posted by RevEd
                            Interesting comments but most Ridgid displays are assembled and maintained by Ridgid Reps they are called vendors and are charged by their company to come in and insure their product is properly displayed, a ready inventory is on hand and that the sales associates know the product to sale it.
                            If your HD has a sloppy display, poorly assemblied products, no inventory or associates that don't know anythng about Ridgid tools, it is Ridgid's fault not Home Depots.
                            I'm very familiar with the Dewalt vendor in this area and see him in Lowes all the time. He dusts his displays, hold impromptu training sessions and uses customer questions to train the Lowes employees. I have ran into Ridgid vendors in HD and they usually are looking for a place to hide, know little or nothing about their products and tend to be smart mouthed.
                            I think Ridgid is shooting itself in the foot. At one time Ridgid marketed directly to dealers and Emerson to Sears but now they are in the market place and keep dropping the ball. They need their vendors to do their job and encourage HD employees to be more involved with their products. Until this happens sales will slip.
                            I partly agree with you Rev. Reps should maintain displays and train associates and help correct inventory levels. However HD needs to try and hire and retain good employees that come through instead of working them to death. Turnover is ridiculous in HD never see the same person it seems.

I used to work @ Lowes and when I worked there we dusted and downstocked and corrected inventory levels everyday as well as downstocked and helped customers with products in other departments. We also made sure out of stock product was ordered and we could order what we needed. Very little of this is done at HD. It is not just tool displays that look bad HD stores are very filthy.

Also as far as inventory levels there is only so much that can be done if there are no associates in the stores to make the corrections. And you can not keep turning on and off products from the order systems.

I am not saying all depot associates are bad there are many very good ones who bend over backwards but the majority are worthless. Also I am not saying all reps are great there are some very bad as you mentioned. The higher ups are the ones at fault they make decisions from behind some desk where ever they may be based on who knows what. You cannot run a store on a skeleton crew as HD keeps trying to do no matter how many reps you have.

Comment

Working...
                            X