X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miter saw capacity?

I have a Rigid 12" compound miter and I am trying to cut down a 5" piece of cedar 4X4 into a 5" piece of 2.5 X 2.5". I am using this as corner blocks (to which I will attach short legs) for a platform bed. Of course the saw crosscuts the 4X4 perfectly, but when I cut the 5" piece on the grain (lengthwise to get a 2.5 X 2.5" block) it cuts at an angle. Its narrower on end away from me, and gets wider toward me, by about 1/2 to 1/4". I have recalibrated the fence/blade, and have tried to change the miter angle, but just cant seem to get a perfectly square 2.5 X 2.5 piece of 5" wood.

Help! I am so frustrated--maybe the saw cannot do this? Any advice would be appreciated (before I go out and buy a table saw).

To me, a miter saw is a cross-cut saw. And, (if I understand you correctly) you are wanting it to do something it was not designed to do - cut along the grain, or rip the wood. I think you need a table saw or at least a band saw ( either one with the correct blade) to do it with and accuracy, not to mention safety. I can't see that you'll ever be happy with the results on a miter saw.
    Phil
    Tools Rule

Comment

Table Saw

Hey there Banglemail,
      Read your post. I agree with Phil, you need a table saw to do this. While it may not be feasible to go out and buy one, check around with your neighbors. Chances are you've got somebody nearby, (or even at work), who has a table saw that you can get those pieces cut up for you. A good table saw is a relatively hefty investment so unless you're going to be doing a lot of work on one, it may not be in your best interest to purchase one at this time. I see you're in Wisconsin. If you're anywhere near Appleton by chance, send me a PM. I could cut it for you and get you up and running in no time. Jim Don

Comment

sounds like you need a temporary fence to help align the back of the block. also check with a square to make sure your original crosscut is 90 degree square. safety is another issue. be carefull of a kickback

you might have better luck to rip the piece to 2.5'' out of a longer board, then cross cut to length

not quite plumbing, but still in the same general field

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

"not quite plumbing, but still in the same general field"

yeah, I was ripping a piece of 6" pipe down to 3" the other day...it didn't go so well
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I'd be happy to rip those pieces for you if you're in the Madison area. Just send me a PM.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

see reply to your other post ...
              but the above offer is better than my suggestions

Comment

I agree that a miter saw is not the right tool for this job, but since you only have a few pieces to cut perhaps you can screw a 2 foot length of 1/4" plywood perpendicular to the 4x4's that you want to cut and then make your cut. This way you can hold the pieces safely and they will be square to the fence. Since they are corner blocks you won't see the screw holes in the finished project.
                Just a thought...

Comment

elbow grease approach

I agree with all others that your miter saw isn't designed for ripping. And trying to cut a 5" long piece on a 12" cms sounds like a finger taker.

If you only have a couple of pieces to cut, why not use a handsaw? I've done this with an el cheapo 15" toolbox saw from HD. Not furniture grade finish, but it worked, and I still have my fingers. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                  X