Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compound Miter Saw Problem

Hi,
    I have a Ridgid 10" Compound Miter saw, and the adjusment screw that allows the blade to tilt for compound cuts is locked up. When I turn the rubber knob, it slips as if it's stripped. I've tried using a pair of pliers to grip the shaft under the knob... no help. The screw is clean, no sawdust, and I sprayed it w/ WD 40. The guy at the service center near me said to bring it in, but it'll take a few weeks to take a look at it!

I can't understand how it got locked up, and it seems there should be a simple solution. Anyone ever experience this problem? Thanks.

Originally posted by rjoseph
    Hi,
    When I turn the rubber knob, it slips as if it's stripped. I've tried using a pair of pliers to grip the shaft under the knob... no help.
    i've had the same problem with the plastic knobs on a ridgid drain cleaning machine. the head of the bolt is just under the plastic knob and i can use a wrench.

what happened when you tried pliers on the shaft? could you not get a grip? or was it too tight. i would break off the plastic portion to allow for a vice grip to grap the stud. a replacement knob is much cheaper than driving the saw to the service center. i would think that they would mail a replacement knob to you from c/s.

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

compound miter problem

When I tried pliers, it just slipped as if it was stripped. Maybe I'll have better luck with a vise grip. Thanks, Rick.

Comment

compound miter saw problem

Hey... I solved the problem. The adjustment knob is basically a plastic shaft, with a rubber grip, that fits over a bolt with a slot at the knob-end. The plastic stripped where it meets the bolt. So, I sliced off the base of the rubber knob and cut through the plastic to break it off the bolt. Now I can just turn the bolt with a pair of pliers. Or I can call c/s and ask them to send me a new adjustment knob/bolt.

Comment

Working...
        X