X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifetime Service Agreement

The batteries in my Dewalt and Makita cordless tools are going bad and faced with the cost of buying new batteries it might be better to buy a complete combo and tose the Dewalt and Makita.

I saw the Ridgid with Lifetime Service Agreement covers batteries.

Has anyone used this?

What did you have to do to get new batteries?

What is the policy?

Once you get new batteries are they also covered or is it a one time shot?

Before I do anything I want to explore all my options.
    Thanks so much for any feedback
    Ed
    Rev Ed

Originally posted by RevEd
    I saw the Ridgid with Lifetime Service Agreement covers batteries.

Has anyone used this? I haven't had to use this yet.

What did you have to do to get new batteries? Bring or send them to an authorized Ridgid Service Center for exchange.

What is the policy? If a normal wear and tear part breaks or wears out prior to you being planted six feet underground Ridgid will fix or replace it.

Once you get new batteries are they also covered or is it a one time shot? The replacement batteries are also covered for the life of the original purchaser of the tool. The LLSA is non-transferable should you decide to sell the tool later.
    If you do a Search using LSA or LLSA as your search subject you'll find alot of info on this subject.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I take you just can't go back to HD for replacements?

I wonder if the service centers stock them or do they have to order you a replacement?

Thanks again for your feedback
      Rev Ed

Comment

RevEd,

I have yet to need a replacement or repair for any of my Ridgid tools; but in the couple of posts that I have read, the service center had them in stock. Of course I fully understand that in the event that I ever do have to replace a battery, my nearest service center will be out of stock!

You will have to either send or visit your nearest Ridgid Authorized Service Center for any repair or replacement. Home Depot is NOT an authorized service center and therefore should not be able to help you.

Here is a link to Ridgid's LLSA announcement: http://www.ridgid.com/Manuals/RidgidLSA.pdf

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

In order for HD to replace your tools you have to pay for their warranty, which is a total waste of money IMHO. I went and got another couple of batteries for $30 a piece so just keep your eyes open for deals like that. I now have 5 batteries and a back up 18v Dewalt. (which I'll sell as soon as i get my hands on the 24v set.)
          "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
          "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

I would really love from someone that actually used the LLSA. I have done a search and again most of the info is "what if" or I can't get registered.

I would like to here about the experience of someone that actually used the LLSA to replace batteries. Also I did a list of service centers near me and for the most part the one they list I don't think I have ever seen Ridgid Power tools being brought in there.

Hope for some first hand information
            Ed
            Rev Ed

Comment

According to the agreement, it doesn't apply until after the 3 year warranty. Since it has been available for less than three years, no one will have used it yet.

The last section of the agreement would give one a reason to question its value. It is not a warranty and " is not intended to create any implied warranties or rights of any kind..."

This is the same company that owns Milwaukee. They have a 5 year warranty on their tools and chargers and a one year warranty on batteries. Their warranty specifically excludes wear related failure. I've had 5 charger failures in 4 years. Milwaukee will not repair/replace because, if it ever worked then failed, it is wear related. The warranty is really 5 years or first use, whichever comes first.

Warranties tend to be about marketing a product. Make it look real durable by giving a long warranty. Many companies give themselves a slight out in their warranty so they will not have to honor the warranty you thought you had. Will you spend several thousand dollars to sue the manufacturer? Will a successor company honor the old warranty? Will Rigid tools (the IIT guys) even be in business 5 or 10 years from now? Will it even matter when the tool is obsolete in several years? Will you be able to find your service agreement card?

Comment

House-Medic

Rev Ed,

Looks like House-Medic has used the LLSA:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...ight=%2ALSA%2A

Comment

Originally posted by BigThom
                  According to the agreement, it doesn't apply until after the 3 year warranty. Since it has been available for less than three years, no one will have used it yet.

Perhaps your right, nobody has actually used the LLSA yet, everything to this point has been under the 3 year warranty.

I just find it hard to believe they are simply going to replace batteries as they go bad for life. If so why even offer replacements for sale? You would be crazy to buy a replacement battery if you can get it replaced for free.

My problem is I need either to replace my old Dewalt and Makita batteries or buy something else. I have even thought of Ryobi, at least you can buy two 18 volt batteries for the price of one 9.6 Dewalt. It is almost cheaper to buy all new tools than to buy just the batteries. That is why I'm asking about Ridgid because of the this LLSA and not having to buy new tools when the batteries go out. But it seems no one really knows how this is going to work through experience.
                  Rev Ed

Comment

Of course its been used already. With all of the use the Ridgid cordless tools receive from trades people there's no way that all the batteries that have been replaced were due to a manufacturing defect.

The 3 Year Warranty covers claims for defective product. The LLSA covers claims for product that wears out. If for some reason a manufacturing defect happens to show up after the initial 3 years of coverage has expired I seriously doubt if it will be covered under the LLSA. On the other hand, if a battery fails to hold a charge during the 3 year warranty period it will be replaced at no charge under the LLSA.

The LLSA program is not rocket science and I'm pretty sure that there is no deep dark secret agenda on Ridgid's part to cheat anyone. Personally, the last reason I would consider buying any tool would be the warranty or a program like the LLSA unless the tool was worth buying in the first place. Ridgid offers both quality tools plus a one of a kind service agreement that is offered by no other tool company that I'm aware of.(End of commercial)
                    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I agree with Badger Dave, the LLSA has been in effect for some time now and surely if customers were being "let down", you'd be hearing a lot of screaming.

With the exception of maybe some registration problems, the LLSA is really rather unique to the Ridgid line of power tools. IMHO, even if a so-called defect was discovered after the initial three years, why wouldn't it be covered under the LLSA? I mean, what are we talking about here, a winding burn out, a fractured case, or a switch spring that fails. All such items can probably be claimed as a result of "wear and tear", which is covered under the LLSA.

This story about Milwaukii having a terrible warranty because all things can be considered to be "worn out" has been around a couple of years now. I can't imagine that if there is a failure during the warranty period, the service center folks will tell you, "Sorry, you must have worn it out, so it's not covered!" IMHO, do believe that's a tale from a disgruntled cusomer who may have abused the tool. If it isn't, all I can say is that being turned down for "worn-out" reasoning, wouldn't hold a drip in any state's consumer protection agency. In any case, this story was circulating long before TTI purchased the company.

So, on one hand we see opinions that manufacturing defects won't be covered under a "lifetime service agreement" that covers wear and tear and, on the other hand, we have opinions that warranties that cover manufacturing defects are invalid because it will be claimed the failure was due to wear and tear. All I can say is, "Interesting!"

I guess all we can do is buy the tool that best fits our needs and pocketbooks and prepare to do battle when and if we have a claim. Personally, I'm not overly concerned as I keep the manufacturer's promises readily at hand and am more than ready to "do battle" should the need arise. But I don't think it will.

CWS

Comment

Hey there RevEd:

I have used the LLSA and have had great results. 1st time a drill switch died and killed 4 batteries. Got the switch replaced and 4 new batteries, in just 3 days. Second time a charger died. Got a new charger at the same time i dropped off other one. Ihave nothing but praise for the LLSA. The only thing I would recommend is go to a service center or authorized repair facility. DO NOT go to HD, they send their repairs out and it can take up to 6weeks. As for the HD extended warranty if you are in the building trades this in my opinion is worth the extra money because if the tool breaks you take it back to HD and they will give you a new tool on the spot. No repairs. (how to get new tools every 3-4years!!! ) Good luck on your decision.

Comment

Working...
                        X