X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Difference between an impact driver and a drill

What is Difference between an impact driver and a drill?

The impact drive works like a drill when a small amount of torque is required (like driving small screws or starting screws) , as the torque requirement to drive the fastener builds the impact begins its hammer operation (same as an air powered impact gun for automotive) to drive the fastener home. The hammer allows the small gun to deliver 3X the torque of a large 18V drill and that action also keeps the driver seated in the screw unlike what usually happens with a drill (bit slips and tends to strip screw heads). With an impact there is little torque transfered to you wrist and arm where as the full torque of a drill must be held by your arm and wrist. If a bolt jams the impact will just sit and hammer away trying to tighten it more but a large drill will try and snap your wrist

Comment

this is an article on the dewalt website that i think does a pretty good explination of the difference. Better than me at least.

http://www.dewalt.com/us/articles/ar...ordless&ID=899

Comment

great article, thanks for the link

Comment

Thanks...it's probably in the top 5 questions i get at work. I get it so often i had my DeWalt rep get a nice laminated version of that article so i could put it right by our impact driver displays

Comment

What I have not found on any of the impact drivers I have seen is an adjustment for the amount of torque. Seems like it would be too easy to shear screws with these tools. Does anyone make an impact rdriver with torque adjustment?
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, I have driven 1000's of screws with mine and the only ones I have ever sheared the heads off of were the ones that came with some blinds. I almost never use the hardware that comes with anything I buy because it is usually crap. You likely would have twisted these heads off with a hand held screw driver. I have however sheared the hardened tip off a few driver bits when securing jack posts to beams

Comment

That's good to know Wayne but there are times when you might need to run a nut down to a specific torque (with a tolerance of course). I not talking the accuracy of a torque wrench here but for instance No-Hub clamps should be torqued to 60 in/lb, yes, many if not most get tightened to more than 60 but probably not above 100 in/lb. So, if you could set the impact driver to ~60 or 70 in/lb it would be a good tool for tightening these clamps and I am sure there are many similar situations in other applications.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                X