Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electricity, even in battery form, doesn't mix well with water! Better seals would probably help the battery, but not sure how one would go about sealing the motor on a power tool and still have it vent and cool properly. Certainly possible, but there'd be a tradeoff for sure, both in bulk and cost. Then there would be complaints about "too expensive" and "too costly"!

Not sticking up for Milwaukie (only Milwauki I own is my Dad's old "hole-shooter"), or meaning any disrespect to any individual, but I guess one needs to be a bit thankful for "cordless" anything, with conditions like that... otherwise you'd probably get "fried". Surely, there are some applications where the worker needs to improvise additional protection for both the tool, and more importantly, for himself.

CWS
    Last edited by CWSmith; 07-17-2006, 02:53 PM.

Comment

This is bang on. If you get your tool wet you're asking for problems.

Stories like "my Milwaukee V28 blew up and the warranty guys told me to take a hike" are a dime a dozen. There's one of these for every manufacturer. Milwaukee can't affort to screw people over on their warranties, so something tells me they had a legitimate claim that you abused the tool somehow.

As CWSmith says you can improvise a solution. Use a piece of plastic sheet or something to protect the front end of the tool. I've seen this done before. It works well.

And yeah, if you're trying to do this with a corded tool, you're at risk of getting a serious shock. Keep that in mind.

The better you treat your tools the better they'll treat you.
      Last edited by Sceeter W Wheels; 07-18-2006, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Milwaukee off my sh}t list

As a result of my posting on this forum. Milwaukee has stepped up to the plate and is replacing my three bad batteries. I am pleased. I can gaurentee you these tools will be put to the maximum test daily. I will continue to buy Milwaukee tools as well as Ridgid.

Monkey
        As far as personal attacks go. I don't believe I attacked anyone personally. I questioned the validity of what you based your opinion on. Which by the way you answered. The bad thing about posting something like that is you can't hear the tone of voice.Anyways, I'm sorry you took it personally.

Thanks for giving me a public forum to make some noise about my difficulties.

Comment

Well IL, you had better luck with them than I. When I took a cordless sawzall in, the repair shop needed a battery. I took in a freshly charged battery, I tested it just before taking it to them. They gave me back a bad battery. I don't know what they did to it, but it was dead. They told me there was no warranty on batteries (18V system). That warranty repair cost me an $85. battery.

I still say, Milwaukee has no ethics, and their cordless tools and batteries are crap.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThom
            Well IL, you had better luck with them than I. When I took a cordless sawzall in, the repair shop needed a battery. I took in a freshly charged battery, I tested it just before taking it to them. They gave me back a bad battery. I don't know what they did to it, but it was dead. They told me there was no warranty on batteries (18V system). That warranty repair cost me an $85. battery.

I still say, Milwaukee has no ethics, and their cordless tools and batteries are crap.
            So you just handing over your sawzall with a battery still in it? Do you ever label your tools in some way? Mine are all blue and silver so if someone else starts to walk off with something they can't say it's theirs and start causing me a headache. That kinda sucks if they have a repair shop and the person working on your sawzall removed the battery and mistook it for another.
            "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
            "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

Water!

I am one that can tell you that the Ridgid cordless tools can with stand water coming at high volumes from a wrongly removed screw from a shower body.

I am the drill were soaking wet and had no problem. Where does this fit in to the conversation, it doesn't. I just wanted to share my aquatic testing results.
              !

Comment

Guys I work for a Milwaukee Distributor. I also sell Dewalt, Bosch, Porter Cable, Makita, Hitachi, Metabo and my milwaukee rep is the best rep we have. I have a customer that is a plumber, he has 40 trucks and every week when I see them I pick up at least 4 batteries and at least 2 chargers that have gone bad. And with no questions asked the milwaukee rep replaces them. I don't know where you bought your tools but if it is not home depot or lowes you may have better luck getting the local sales rep involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Brand
                  ...I am the drill were soaking wet and had no problem. Where does this fit in to the conversation, it doesn't. I just wanted to share my aquatic testing results.

So are we to understand that you are now squeeky clean?

Alan

It seems I'ma always lookin for trouble.

Comment

Say what you want about Milwaukee, but at least their chucks don't wobble LOL

Comment

when a milw comes in for repair,and they are asking for warranty and it is in the warranty window,they get warranty from me.now as to the battery getting wet,if it looks new to me i useually can get warranty,sometimes i have to send the battery to milw.and they make the call but mostly i will warranty it.I repair tools for our customers the rightway,that goes for dewalt,makita,metabo,bosch,portercable,and the rest thatwe are a warranty center for.the only one that gives me a hard time on warranty on some stuff is bosch,but it all works out in the end.now as far as milw.being junk,well i feel they are starting to go that way.there sawzaw is not as good as they used to be,but there quickloc blade clamp is the best design out of all the other saws on the market.and if i were to tell you that portercable sawzaws we the best for that price market would you beleive me.portercable is under rated.(and yes allentoolguy i know dewalt owns them and everone on this forum knows that tti owns the ridgid name for power tools,and milw)
                      A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

I can see signs too that things are changing at Milwaukee. The new V18 drill, if you look at the parts list, looks very similar to the Ridgid drills. Different transmission from Lok Tor, cheap Johnson motor (it's not the Milwaukee motor anymore!) with non-replaceable brushes.

Comment

The last post is a bit old but I just bought a R81030 9.6V Rigid screwdriver. There's a opening near the charger contacts and several holes on the bottom that "appear" to have a plastic screen or mesh to allow heat to escape. I might be wrong about this but it it sure looks like vent holes to me

I seen a Milwaukee 12V pack in a recycle bin at work. It's bigger of course with no vents but the charger contacts are exactly the same as the Rigid 9.6V pack! Milwaukee=Rigid??

Comment

Working...
                          X