X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium ion battery question

I've had a Dewalt 18v nicad drill for years and the problem I have is that I don't use it every day. I charge it up, then throw it in my truck. Several days later, when I pull it out to use it, the battery is almost fully discharged. Will I have this same problem with a lithium ion battery tool?

Pretty much the answer is no. Some lithium ion tools claim to be able to be stored for up to 18 months and still have 80% charge left on them.

I can't find an article on the internet confirming this but i know i've read it a couple of places. i'll keep looking and update this post if i find an article.

*Edit:* This is the article i read but it was in a magizine and i can't seem to find a transcript of it online. It's in this month current issue of Fine Homebuiling though.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...fh_180_055.asp
    Last edited by cellardoor; 07-16-2006, 04:09 PM.

Comment

you stated the following: "I charge it up, then throw it in my truck"

If you are in an area where the daytime temps are high, and that drill is in a box on the back of your P/U or even in a van parked in the sun all day long the heat is going to affect any battery's performance. Hot enough might even permanently reduce the capacity of the battery.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob - yes, I put the drill in the tool box in the back of my pickup. And I live in Florida. High summer temp capital of the world. So you're saying that if I continue doing this when I buy a new lithium battery tool, I'll probably have the same problem? The only other alternative would be to keep the drill in the back of the cab of the truck, and I believe it would be hotter in there when the car sits than in the tool box because the tool box is diamond plate and probably reflects the heat pretty well. I don't remember ever opening the tool box and having any of the tools be overly hot to the touch.

Comment

1- do you keep the battery in the drill when not in use?

if you take the battery out of the tool the charge will stay longer.

2- if you do keep the battery out of the tool do you cover the top so it does not touch any metal ,so it does not short it out.

and like the others said the heat . i keep mine in my van all day and it can get up to 95 and it does not effect mine.
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

To answer your original question. The li ion batteries do not lose as much power over time as the ni cad. A nicad battery will lose as much as 80% of its power over the first 48 hours and then slowly drain over the rest of the time. LiIon is not suppose to do that.

Second question about how to store...the cooler the better. If it is at all possible the best thing to do is to keep it in the charger. This use to not be the case but all manufacturers have gone to an electric charger and it will better maintain your battery

Comment

LXi 24V loose around 1.15V per month. It is because of the idle current that consume by the electronics inside.
              When the pack is fully charged, the pack voltage is around 24.90V max, and the pack electronic will shutdown the output when pack voltage drop below around 21.00V. Thats meant the Lxi 24V pack should able to store for 3.5 months before change into shutdown mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo_hamrick
                A nicad battery will lose as much as 80% of its power over the first 48 hours and then slowly drain over the rest of the time. LiIon is not suppose to do that.
                They loose power pretty fast but not quite as bad as that. According to Dewalt their Nicad batteries will loose 20-25% of their charge in the first 24 hours and subsequently about 1% per day. I would imagine things like battery age and condition will directly have an impact on this. I have several of their 18v XRP batteries and those numbers seem to be consitantly accurate to the amount of work I get from each battery when its been off the charger for a few days.

Comment

I've got a Dewalt 18v XRP battery powered drill that doesn't hold a charge very long. I keep it in my tool box in my truck, which granted is in the sun a lot (I've heard about the heat and voltage loss relationship). The battery is less than a year old, and if I fully charge it then put it in my truck, it will have far less than half a charge when I pull it out to use it 2-3 days later. I'd say from experience that 25% the first day and 1% after that is a pretty favorable estimate on Dewalt's part. I'd say more like 50% the first day and 10% per day after that is realistic. But I don't have one of those fancy stamps that you get with an engineering degree. Hope there aren't any engineers on this board (electrical or otherwise) that are easily offended.

Sorry to rant, but I can't believe that my experience with keeping my battery powered tools in my truck are unique. All of the subcontractors that we use when building homes keep all of their tools in a box trailer or van, which I have to believe gets hotter than my shiny, heat reflecting, diamond plate tool box. If the tool companies expect their batteries to be stored in 80 degree temps on a consistent basis to keep a max charge, then they need to come visit some real world scenarios in the Florida construction environment.

Comment

Working...
                  X