X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powermatic Model 73 Dust Collector

Has anyone heard of or had any experience with this dust collector? I found one on craigslist for $150.00 used. There seems to be virtually no information on the net regarding this item in terms of reviews. I found a couple of links showing specs but other than zip. Any info would help. I like the small foot print and the power seems to be on par with most popular models but just want to make sure it's not a POS. Thanks.

Powermatic and Jet are sister companies and it wouldn't surprise me if both brands of DC's weren't made at the same facility. Powermatic is a well respected mfg and makes high quality tools so I think you can feel safe that it isn't a POS.

My 2005 Powermatic catalog doesn't list a Model 73 DC so unless it's a brand new model $150 sounds sorta pricey for an older discontinued model. You can buy a brand new 2HP(?) Harbor Freight DC for less than $150 if you live near a HF retail store and have a 15% or 20% off coupon.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave
      Powermatic and Jet are sister companies and it wouldn't surprise me if both brands of DC's weren't made at the same facility. Powermatic is a well respected mfg and makes high quality tools so I think you can feel safe that it isn't a POS.

My 2005 Powermatic catalog doesn't list a Model 73 DC so unless it's a brand new model $150 sounds sorta pricey for an older discontinued model. You can buy a brand new 2HP(?) Harbor Freight DC for less than $150 if you live near a HF retail store and have a 15% or 20% off coupon.
      Thanks for response Dave. The model 73 is a discontinued model. I know that most of the stuff from powermatic is quality stuff but just couldn't find any info on this specific model. This makes me wonder if there a reason why the production life was so short.

I did consider the HF DC but heard too many cases where the motor or switch had problems plus I would need to spend more to replace the 30 micron bag with a canister or better bag.

Comment

Ryan, I've had the HF DC for going on 3 years and haven't experienced any problems at all. All I do is turn it on and off and empty the bags when they get full. As a matter of fact, I just got back from Harbor Freight where I picked up a 2HP HF DC for my brothers shop. He was so impressed with mine, both quality wise and price tag wise, that he said he had to have one too.

IMHO, I think you shouldn't put all that much weight into a few reports of a problem switch or motor here and there. A year or so ago there was a thread at the WoodNet site that dealt with the HF DC. There was over 1200 posts in that thread IIRC and the vast majority sang the praises of the HF DC. For an average size shop that doesn't have a great deal of duct work, this DC is a real bargain but most of all it works well.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 07-19-2006, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Dave, it's good to hear the postive comments about the HF DC, I'm glad it's working out for you and many others. Definitely makes it another available option to consider. Have you upgraded the 30 micron bag to something else or are you also using one of those ventilator type air purifiers? Thanks.

Comment

So far, I haven't upgraded the OEM bags but I do plan on doing that eventually. The bags that I plan to purchase are the Grizzly G5556 2.5 micron bags, $24.95 ea., or possibly the G5558 3.0 micron ones, $19.95 ea.

In conjunction with the HF DC I also run a Jet AFS-1000B Air Filter. Even though the DC still has the OEM 30 micron bags, between the DC and the AF my basement shop remains fairly dust free. Normally, I let the AF run for an hour or two after I'm done working and that seems to do a very good job of scrubbing the air of all those nasty little dust particles that are floating around the shop.

Comment

Thanks for the info Dave. I ended up getting a good deal on the delt 50-760 which comes standard with a 1 micron bag (figured I could save some money not having to upgrade the bag) from amazon. It should be arriving in a week or so, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
              X