Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Router

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which Router

    I am thinking of buying a router and wondered which was the best. I have settled on the Dewalt or Porter-Cable. I am leaning toward the Dewalt ( plus it is made in the U.S.) as it comes with 3 bases. What kind of router table would I need for it? I know these are general type questions, but any help is appreciated. Thanks, Ron

  • #2
    the best router bar none is bosch , porter cable a close second the de walt router not bad but for the same amount of money you get a better router by going with the bosch as far as the table believe or not craftsman has a very good metal table made out of metal with a very good bit storage cabinet and excelent dust collection, now going back to the router the reason why bosch is a superior router is one because of the size and two is the only router with the power assistance meaning if the bit starts to bog down or slow down because of a hard knot in the wood the router senses the change and increases the power and as soon as you pass the hard spot in the wood it turns back to previous speed , hope that was helpful

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Ron
      I just made a table that works like a charm ,it is 2 pieces the table and a storage cabinet that fits together.I couldn't be happier with it .I posted a pic of fit in the general woodworking discussion under "lets see some project pics" by lorax

      PM me if you have any questions and ill be happy to help

      Nelz

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tonnydoodles
        the best router bar none is bosch , porter cable a close second the de walt router not bad but for the same amount of money you get a better router by going with the bosch as far as the table believe or not craftsman has a very good metal table made out of metal with a very good bit storage cabinet and excelent dust collection, now going back to the router the reason why bosch is a superior router is one because of the size and two is the only router with the power assistance meaning if the bit starts to bog down or slow down because of a hard knot in the wood the router senses the change and increases the power and as soon as you pass the hard spot in the wood it turns back to previous speed , hope that was helpful
        Do all Bosch routers have the power assist? I have the 1617EVSPK and have only used it a couple of times. It would be very cool if it did have this function.

        Comment


        • #5
          Most modern variable speed routers that I know of will compensate for load variations to keep rotational speed as constant as possible. That is not a Bosch exclusive, although the sales hype may lead you to believe it is. I know that the Hitachi M12V will do that. I suspect PC and Dewalt routers will do it too.

          I like the Bosch router also, but I think that nearly all big name routers are well built and reliable. If I were going to select a new router, it would be based on how easy it is to set up the plunge feature, how easy it is to change bits and how easy it is to use in a router table. There is currently little information availablel on the new Ridgid router, but it has all the features I am looking for. I might take a (small) chance and buy that one.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tonnydoodles
            the best router bar none is bosch , porter cable a close second the de walt router ...
            I can't recall any other wwer or magazine ever making such an absolute statement, and I don't agree with it. One single feature does not necessarily make one router significantly better than the rest of the field. Some routers have exceptional above table features, some have excellent dust collection, some are more versatile than others, some have a better collet, more jigs available, lower center of gravity, etc. The Bosch is not without it's achilles heel...several have had some corrosion and sticking issues.

            There is no one best router, but there are several that are excellent that offer different features, and that have different strengths. Bosch, PC, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Freud, Fein, Festool, Makita, and Hitachi are just some. Pick the one with the features you like that feels best to you.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by hewood
              Bosch, PC, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Freud, Fein, Festool, Makita, and Hitachi are just some.
              What, no Ridgid???
              Jeff

              Comment


              • #8
                Hey Ron, If you check around at HD they have the PC694vk on clearance for around $150. You just have to be lucky enough to find a store that has any left.
                Jeff

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Ridgid is so new that I don't think it has picked up a "following" yet. Maybe it never will, but it certainly seems to have some very nice features, including above the table adjustments.

                  I've been eyeing the router market (and the opinions on a few forums) for some time and hope to finally make up my mind this fall (gee, it would make a nice Christmas present).

                  Like most tools, there is an abundance of opinions about what's the best. On a few occasions I read those absolute statements like "best * bar none", and certainly such exuberance needs to be taken into consideration. (But it also gets some "grins" as it sounds too much like a Ford commercial)

                  In any case, from what I've seen and read, Porter-Cable seems to be at the top of a lot of opinions. From purely an observation point of view, the Ridgid looks pretty good, competitively priced, and the warranty rather spectacular, but compared to the P-C, it's rather large I think. I sure would like to see some comparison reviews including the Ridgid.

                  CWS

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I agree, I too am in the market for a new router(have been for over a year) but I just haven't been able to make up my mind. I think I may do some Demo's at work with the Ridgid and see how well it works.
                    Jeff

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cuj0HD
                      What, no Ridgid???
                      Oh, is the a Ridgid forum?!


                      "Bosch, PC, DeWalt, Milwaukee, Freud, Fein, Festool, Makita, and Hitachi are just some." ....Ridgid and the Bosch made Craftsman are most of the others!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I was at HD today trying to decide and STILL DIDN"T get one! I was leaning toward the Bosch (fixed and plunge base) and then looked at the Ridgid. I like the price but didn't like the "Made In China" label, whereas the Bosch is made in the USA. Then again, I may not be able to pass the Ridgid up. I have a 15.00 gift card,10% coupon and then the Ridgid mail-in rebate. with all that I think it brings the cost down to 146.19 before tax. Almost too of a deal to pass(regardless where it is made, right?). Does anybody else have the Ridgid and what do you think? Ron

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          by all means if you have the money go with fein or festool but if you read my posting i stated that for the amount of money pc ,de walt and bosch are more or less the same price i would go with the bosch it got more features, easier to use , lighter and as far as the ridgid i have the laminate router wich i got a couple weeks ago as all my ridgid tools is very good so maybe the full size router is also good so if you get the ridgid please let me know how it performs

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by tonnydoodles
                            by all means if you have the money go with fein or festool but if you read my posting i stated that for the amount of money pc ,de walt and bosch are more or less the same price i would go with the bosch it got more features, easier to use , lighter and as far as the ridgid i have the laminate router wich i got a couple weeks ago as all my ridgid tools is very good so maybe the full size router is also good so if you get the ridgid please let me know how it performs
                            Hello toondoodles
                            Well, I got the Ridgid. For ecomonics, I just could't pass it up. I hope I made the right choice! Haven't used it yet, but hope to this week. The Bosch and Ridgid both had features I liked. The Ridgid had one I really liked and that was the LED that lit the workspace (I wished my BS1400 had that).Everthing is very nicely finished (something my BS 1400 lacks). I thought the storage bag was a waste as I don't plan on storing them in it after each use. Ron

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Router bits

                              Hello
                              Hope this is not too dumb, but what router bits should I use for general routing, 1/4 or 1/8 (shank) or is is just a personal preference?
                              Also, what is the advantage of the the plunge feature? I could probably do everthing with the fixed base. right? Thanks, Ron

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X