X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tool to buy next?

Well my b-day just recently passed and received a bunch of gift cards for Home Depot. I really can't decide on what tool to buy next. I was seriously considering the ridgid spindle sander which gets good reviews but for some reason the fact that the table isn't cast iron like alot of the others kinda bothers me. What I have now in terms of stationary WW tools are the TS, DP, jointer, planer, DC, belt/disc combo sander, band saw, air compressor and CMS. I also have pretty much a bunch of hand held tools as well, drills, biscuit joiner, routers, hand held saws of all types, sanders of all types and pretty much every type of nail/staple gun.

Is a lathe the next logical choice? What I'm afraid of is I heard once you start turning wood you will pretty much neglect your other WW tools.

I know some of you will think this is a trivial post but what i'm trying to achieve is to get some feed back on suggestions which I may never have considered. Basically to see if any gaps need to be filled through the enlightenment from the collective experience of the members of this forum.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ryan.s; 07-27-2006, 04:27 AM.

Get yourself a heavy duty router and build a table for it. A lathe is a good idea but HD does not have them

Comment

Since you have most of the power tools perhaps it is time to learn some new skills. Hand tools can bring an entirely new dimension to your woodworking. However HD is not the place for these tools, places like Lee Valley or Ebay is where to find quality hand tools. Consider a good set of chisels and a Japanese rip saw, some stones to sharpen those chisels and you have the necessary tools for hand cut dovetails. Maybe a low angle block plane, or a set of cabinet scrapers.
      Warning - if you learn how to use scrapers and smoothing planes you will wonder why you have so much sandpaper on hand because you will rarely use the stuff ever again once you see the difference in clarity of your finished works.

Comment

Get the Lathe!

Not because I can speak from example, but get the lathe. Tell me how it works out and if you get addicted to it.
        Kilroy was here!

Comment

Originally posted by Someguy
          Get yourself a heavy duty router and build a table for it. A lathe is a good idea but HD does not have them
          Thanks, I forgot to mention I just recently completed building a router table based on Norm's design. I have 3 routers at the moment and have been very happy with them. They actually do have lathes on the home depot website, although the selection isn't too great.

Wbrooks - great suggestions. I never really thought of non powered hand tools. Definitely something to consider.

Comment

The spindle sander is great and I have had no problems with the top not being cast iron. On the other hand If you buy the lathe you will get sucked into the Vortex but you will not neglect your other tools. I recently bought a Jet lathe and I am making alot of pens right now. But I still use my TS, CMS, DP, and most of the other tools to prep the blanks. You can get a lathe from HD through special order or online, but you are limited to Delta.
            Jeff

Comment

Building up my collection of hand planes

A couple good hand planes are a must for any shop. Hey, even Norm uses a plane now and then when he is desperate

I just picked up a Bailey #5 last weekend at a flea market for $20 in very good shape. Japanning is 98%, only some slight chips at the heel and toe from normal use. Handle and tote are good with no chips or cracks. All original hardware (screws, knobs, etc.) Sole in good condition, no cracks or gouges. I took a photo of my 'collection' so to speak. The new (to me) #5 is second from the left in the back row, between the #20 circular plane and the #7 Jointer. Not counting the Vertias I have about $200 invested in these planes. They are all fully functional and in great shape. A few I bought new over the years and the rest came from eBay or local flea market or yard sales. Nect time I come across it in the shop and I have my camera with me I'll snap a pic for ya.

L to R top to bottom they are:

Back Row: #20 Circular, #5 Jack, #7 Jointer, #6 Fore, #4 Smooth
              #151 Spoke Shave
              #75 Bullnose Rabbit, #220 Block Plane, #H101P Trim Plane
              Foreground: Vertias Medium Shoulder Plane

All are Stanley of various vintage except for the shoulder plane.
              The #20 is roughly of 1900-1903 vintage best I can determine.

Edit: How could I have forgotten the MultiPlane. I have a Clifton MultiPlane that I bought in 1985 direct from Clifton in England. I paid something like $375 fo it then. They used to be carried by Woodcraft until last year. Their last price was $870.00 IIRC !! Other places had them at about the same price plus/minus $50. I bought it to make some molding in a house I owned then and was restoring. I could have got custom blades fabbed for a molding machine but I didn't have one. Anyway, I still have the beast and have not used it for much in the past 15 years. I should probably eBay it and put the money into a mid-range benchtop mortiser from General or PowerMatic.
              Last edited by Bob D.; 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob D: I'm drooling on my keyboard looking at those planes. Nice collection!!

Ryan.s: You have a bunch of HD gift cards? You can never have too many clamps. A good wood working vise to attach to your work table will make life easier. Lumber to put those tools to use also crosses the mind. And don't forget forstner bits, router bits, saw blades, etc.

Sometimes the little things mean a lot!

If you can't make up your mind, I have a birthday comin' up, bro (hint hint)

My $.002

Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Nice stuff Bob, thought I was lookin in my own drawer for a minute!
                  CCW from the 220
                  cheep #4
                  Type 17 #4 1/2 (great smoother - replaced blade with LV A2 blade)
                  Type 17 #5
                  Type 8 #7 (1899-1902) my favorite and in really great shape
                  draw knife
                  LV medium shoulder
                  LV Bull Nose
                  Stanley 151

Comment

Wayne, it's amazing that we have such a similar assortment of planes.

One thing about Stanley planes that confuses me if the Type designator. What is the difference between a Type 17 #4-1/2 and some other Type of the same size plane, and how do you tell one form another? I see no type numbers on any of my planes. Is the type like a series or version indicating some level of change from the previous model? When I was cleaning up the #5, I had it all apart. Under the tote cast into the body is the letter U. Don't know what that means if anything. Is it just a mold mark or something more?

BTW, are you living down under now? Round these parts CCW goes opposite of the order you put your list in.
                    Last edited by Bob D.; 08-26-2006, 12:25 AM.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    ---------
                    ---------

Comment

Hmm better go check the toilet too, guess that should be CW eh.
                      The type is kinda like a version. As the years went by Stanley made changes, usually for the worse in the latter years. Here is the best type study I have seen so far. All bench planes fit the study, meaning that a #2 through #8 type 15 will all have the same distinguishing characteristics. Have a look, its really neet to see how old your planes are, I was shocked that my #7 was over 100 years old. Kinda doubt any of my tailed tools will be functioning 100 years from now. Browse around on Rarebears site, he has a large amount of info on it, also check out his friends pages especially Cain's
                      https://home.comcast.net/~rexmill/pl...ing/typing.htm

Comment

Thanks Wayne. Found this site too which has some good info.

Plane Dating Flowchart
                        Last edited by Bob D.; 08-26-2006, 12:25 AM.
                        ---------------
                        ---------------
                        ---------
                        ---------

Comment

Working...
                        X