Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v Lithium battery wierdness

Hello,

I just got my new 4 pc kit in time for the weekend and after 3-4 days of using mostly the drill (but also the circular saw) i have experienced horrible battery performance...I initially charged the batteries for several hours each (the light turned green in way less than an hour, but i was too busy to remove them at that time.) When i went to use the batteries in the drill i found that they died after only a very short time of moderate use (driving 3 1/2" deckmate screws into 2x6's - something i do all the time with my dewalt 18v) i was able to use the drill for maybe an hour, driving maybe 8 - 10 screws (with a little drilling also)

Needless to say i was shocked and chalked it up to fresh batteries needing to be broken in, but no the second battery did the same thing. so i recharged both and tried again - same poor battery life. With the saw it seemed to last longer but not as long as i would like.

Anyone else notice this? are the batteries or maybe the charger bad? They seem to charge way too fast (30-40 min) i thought it was supposed to be an hour?

This drill definately has much more torque than my dewalt but what good is it if the batteries drain so fast? i will keep using these tools and see if there is an improvement but if now i will be returning to try another set...

mr Z

Update:

After almost 1 week of use i am almost certain there is something wrong with these batteries or the charger. For example: using the circular saw to cut 3/4" plywood i cannot run the saw long enough on one charge to allow the spare battery to fully charge. I am cutting maybe 8 - 10 cuts during that hour. Same thing goes for the drill: I am doing the exact same things i always do: driving 1 5/8" wood screws, drilling holes for romex, etc. Also the charger is very erratic: sometimes a battery shows one light and my tool stops, but when i put it in the charger it goes up to 3 lights...10 min. later the charger light goes green. Other times the battery takes a little over an hour to get a green light but dies after a ridiculously little amount of screw driving.

I hope this is not indicative of lithium batteries or of rigid tools. I am definitely taking these back to HD this weekend and exchanging them for another set. i am also considering calling rigid; i think i will do that tomorrow.

Anyone else have complaints about their battery life?

mr Z
    Last edited by mrZesty; 08-08-2006, 12:48 AM.

Comment

With any new product there are going to be a few bugs to work out!this happens to all the tool makers.good luck on your new set.
      A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

One of the reason is you may have a unbalanced cells inside the 6 cells pack. The charger will stop chaging if any cells reach voltage higher than 4.16V.

Just return these pack to service station and ask for a new replacement.

Originally posted by mrZesty
        Update:

After almost 1 week of use i am almost certain there is something wrong with these batteries or the charger. For example: using the circular saw to cut 3/4" plywood i cannot run the saw long enough on one charge to allow the spare battery to fully charge. I am cutting maybe 8 - 10 cuts during that hour. Same thing goes for the drill: I am doing the exact same things i always do: driving 1 5/8" wood screws, drilling holes for romex, etc. Also the charger is very erratic: sometimes a battery shows one light and my tool stops, but when i put it in the charger it goes up to 3 lights...10 min. later the charger light goes green. Other times the battery takes a little over an hour to get a green light but dies after a ridiculously little amount of screw driving.

I hope this is not indicative of lithium batteries or of rigid tools. I am definitely taking these back to HD this weekend and exchanging them for another set. i am also considering calling rigid; i think i will do that tomorrow.

Anyone else have complaints about their battery life?

mr Z

Comment

I believe these batteries build to their full charge capacity over the first several charge/discharge cycles. They will last longer with each consecutive charge.
          So many saws, so few fingers...

Comment

Working...
          X