X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver vs Wrench

I'm considering purchasing an impact driver/wrench. My question is besides one having a collar for bits and the other a doohickey for sockets what other dicernable features are there? Can the driver do wrench applications with the appropriate conversion bit(for lack of the appropriate word) and visa versachi? I will use it for lag bolts, heavy screwing(be nice now) and any other heavy applications that my bosch 14v brute drill won't. Are there +/- to both? Your thoughts will be appreciated.

I have both the 14.4 Ridgid 3/8-inch drill/driver and the 14.4 Impact Wrench. For normal drilling and typical wood screw assemblies, I like the drill/driver. Its adjustable clutch is useful for not overdriving the screws and possible stripping out the hole.

However, for heavy duty screws and and almost any bolt and nut type of assemblies, the impact driver has the advantage because once the screw or bolt is tight, the impact mechanism kicks in. This is great for building work benches, decks, porches, etc., where the hardware needs that extra torque. It is also very helpful when these bolts need to be loosened.

The impact driver that I have is also smaller than the drill/driver and is therefore easier to get into some areas.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I use the impact driver for just about anything from #6 wood screws to 3/4 nuts and bolts. I use it for working on the car and ATV and have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 socket adapters. The right angle impact driver would be useful in tight spots like between the rad and engine etc. The automotive uses compare to an air ratchet and an air 1/2" impact gun.

Comment

I assume you're actually referring to Impact driver (not drill driver) with the 1/4 hex shaft and Impact wrench with with 1/2" socket mount. As far as I'm aware Ridgid doesn't have a square wrench version of their impactor but others like Dewalt do. They are basically the same tool with different collar. The most notable difference is the 1/2" socket style drivers have considerably higher torque ratings of up to 3X more than the 1/4 hex driver. You can definately use one for all applications with the proper conversion but using the 1/4" driver with large sockets extensively can probably damage the collar in the long run and might not have the power you'd like for large fasteners. Likewise, using the huge socket models for screw driving could be too powerful and damage screws and work.

Comment

Thanks Velosapien, It looks like the driver will be my first buy for now. I'm judging it will fit most of my needs.

Comment

Working...
          X