Central Machinery Sanders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Central Machinery Sanders

Does anybody have reviews or opinions on the Central Machinery 6x48 Belt/9inch Disc sander and the Central Machinery Spindle Sander sold by Harbor Frieght.
    I was at HD and Lowes and most of their tools (Delta, Ridgid and etc) are also made in China. So, my thinking is, why spend hundreds more at HD and Lowes when I can get more tool for the money ( Central Machinery) at HF when they are also made in China (some in Tiawan)a nd appear to be made just like the otehrs. Ron

Ron, the difference is that the major brand names are contracting with Chinese factories to build tools to brand specifications. The stuff designed and built by Chinese manufacturers to their own specs is hit and miss at best, mostly miss....lol! There are a few good ones, but for the most part you're taking your chances, especially if you need parts or service later.

Comment

bobg nailed it Ronald. It's not where the tool is made it's how the tool is made that determines its level of quality. For the weekend woodworker, Harbor Freight does have some good bargins on things like their 2HP dust collector, some of their pneumatic nailers and drill presses but generally speaking if it has a power cord attached it's a buyer beware situation.
      ================================================== ====
      All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Hello
        Are you saying not to buy these two items? I looked at them again for comparison to the Delta sanders and really the Central MAchinery exibits the same (if not better fit and finish, at least on the display models) than the Delta sanders. I think that if I would buy them, I would ask to look at them before leaving the store. As for warranty/guarantee, I don't know.
        I have read the Delta BOSS reviews and it didn't fair too well, motors burning up or quitting after about a year.
        So, for now, not sure. For a weekend workworker, it sure doesn't make too much sense to spend the extra money on just a name. Maybe, I have answered my own question! Ron

Comment

Ron, not necessarily. Obviously you're close enough to HF to have a look first. Try to get them to plug the machines in and check for vibration, noise, etc. Ask about warranty and return policy. Also check the motor to see if it's a standard that can be easily replaced later if need be. Like we've said, some of those tools are actually good, it's just hard to know which ones. Many are worthless junk.
          If I were you, I'd take a look at Grizzly before making a decision. They have some inexpensive units you might like.
          And about that Shopmaster line of tools, Delta should be ashamed for putting their name on those. I think that's one exception to putting your trust in a brand name.
          I understand your not wanting to spend too much for "weekender" tools, but make sure you get tools that will do an adequate job for you. I've seen too many people get discouraged and give up a great hobby because their tools just wouldn't do the job.
          Good luck
          Bob

Comment

Originally posted by bobg
            I've seen too many people get discouraged and give up a great hobby because their tools just wouldn't do the job.
            Bob,

You've convinced me to go buy new golf clubs .

Comment

Re: Central Machinery Sanders

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
              Does anybody have reviews or opinions on the Central Machinery 6x48 Belt/9inch Disc sander and the Central Machinery Spindle Sander sold by Harbor Frieght.
              I was at HD and Lowes and most of their tools (Delta, Ridgid and etc) are also made in China. So, my thinking is, why spend hundreds more at HD and Lowes when I can get more tool for the money ( Central Machinery) at HF when they are also made in China (some in Tiawan)a nd appear to be made just like the otehrs. Ron
              I have a 6 by 48 sander by central machinery, to tell you how good is it, OK! I bought new , the manufacturing date is 1987 the serial is 0012. How about that for old, it works super, well worth the money I paid for it. Remember in 1988 the prices were not as cheap as they are NOW. I just came from HF this very day, I look at the model they have now, my motor is larger, and maybe the sander a little heavier, BUT allmost the same.
              I hope this helps: Charles

Comment

Every tool is different and needs a good look on it's own merits. I'm justifiably fairly skeptical about HF tools in general but there are some good bargains. The $100 mortiser has been worth every penny for my needs, and their 13" 38142 DP has been down right impressive for $144. Their return policy is good so if there's a store near you the sander might be worth a try.

Comment

If this is the sander you have in mind stay far far away from it and all other brands of similar sanders. They are all POC machines that will only frustrate you to no end.
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93981

If something more like this is what you have in mind, I would recommend looking for a good used solid cast iron one by Delta or better yet Powermatic. You'll have a beast that's an investment. Even if ball bearings and belts need replacing they are generic parts and easy to find. Then you'll be set to really sand away.
                  http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=40643

Don't use cheapo belts or disks either. Good quality brand name products work sooo much better.

Comment

this is the 12'' disc sander i bought a couple years ago. i use it more for metal than wood. has plenty of power and runs very smooth.

on sale it's under $100.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=43468

rick.
                    phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by cjh20 View Post
                      Bob,

You've convinced me to go buy new golf clubs .
                      Golf clubs are no different, you get what you pay for.
                      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        Golf clubs are no different, you get what you pay for.
                        So thats why I play like crap and here the whole time I thought it was me....

Thats what I get for buying a set of clubs at a yard sale for $40.00....

Does the rest effect the ball behavior???
                        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I must be a natural and equipment does not matter.

I just bought a new set of Callaway Irons last month and my handicap has not changed its still a 12. The only thing that improved was a slight reduction in weight due to my wallet being a heck of a lot thinner.

I agree with what others have said at HF tools, some are OK, however most are junk. See if you can check it out before you leave and/or what their return policy is.

Later,
                          Last edited by biscuit; 07-27-2008, 09:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobg View Post
                            Ron, the difference is that the major brand names are contracting with Chinese factories to build tools to brand specifications. The stuff designed and built by Chinese manufacturers to their own specs is hit and miss at best, mostly miss....lol! There are a few good ones, but for the most part you're taking your chances, especially if you need parts or service later.

Bingo! Anything electrically-powered that is sold at Harbor Freight should be bought with caution. That said, i have 4 of the orange angle grinders taht have been serving me well for the last year or so....

The HF warranty is generally pretty decent. If you don't like the tools, you can usually take them back. Just be aware that they will not be as refined as tools made to specs for major brands... but they might do exactly what you need at a lesser cost.

Comment

Working...
                            X