Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ridgid series 18v tools user comments wanted.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid series 18v tools user comments wanted.

I am specifically looking for real comments by users of the following tools:

1. the 18v circular saw, r845
    2. the 18v reciprocating saw r844

I want to know about balance, power available, battery life, ease of use, etc.
    perhaps even some anecdotal experiences with these tools too.

I also wonder about new versions VS the older/original units

For those of you who actually have used these tools your input is truly appreciated.

for those trolling or if you have never used these tools, please don't waste my time

cactus man

I have had both tools for a little over a year. I would clasify the useage as moderate, not heavy. Both tools have met or exceeded my expectations and superior to other brands that I have used/owned. I did bypass the dead man switch on the circular saw because I found that to be impossible to engage at the same time as the saw triger. I have the hammer/drill as well and the power of that tool is impressive. I put storm shutters on a house that required over 200 Tap-Con screws into solid filled block. There were two of us using the hammer/drill and the battery charger kept pace with us all day (9 hours).

Short commings: The chuck is starting to slip and the warranty wants a copy of the origional receipt and the origional UPC. Who the hell keeps the origional UPC off the box? As for the receipt, I think I had to send it in to get the extra battery and the Jigsaw. By the way the Jigsaw is not in the same class as the other tools. It is for the weekender or handyman.

Comment

I have been a user of both of the mentioned tools for about 2 months now. I purchased them, along with the 1/2" drill driver (non-hammer). All of the Ridgid 18v tools have been fantastic. I am in the process of a complete rebuild of an 1870's farmhouse and I use all of the tools nearly every day. I have to respectfully disagree with Gerry, the my jigsaw is great. It is smooth, well balanced, and handy as the dickens when I need to tweak a piece of trim board 14' in the air.

Just yesterday I knocked the recip. saw off the top plate of a wall after I sat it there to take a measurement. The saw bounced in one direction and the battery flew off across the floor in another. I picked up the pieces put it back together and it fired up without a hitch or a scratch.

About a month ago, I was drilling a waste vent through the roof with a 4 1/2" hole saw when the hole saw dug in and bound up in the wood. I had the aux. handle on my Ridgid drill and it gave me a good thump in the chest before I could let off the trigger! That thing's got some torque. I have some new respect for it now.

I will admit, when I need to really eat up some timber, I get out my 7 1/2" Dewalt CC and my Porter Cable Tiger Saw and a 50' x-tension cord. But that hassle is happening less and less every day.

Pros of 18v Ridgid tools:
      Power has been great (however I can only compare that to my 12v Dewalt drill and 18v Dewalt recip.saw...which I gave away when I began using the Ridgid saw).
      Battery life is very good, recharging is super fast.
      Fit and finish is superior to most other brands.
      Price
      Service agreement (no more $80 Dewalt batteriies!)

Cons:
      Heavy! (like most 18v NiCD tools)
      Stupid safety switches on saws seem to be in awkward positions.
      I'm color blind and wish they were a brighter orange, or yes, even yellow, so I wouldn't have to keep hunting for them after I set them down somewhere.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by gerryc1620
        I have had both tools for a little over a year. I would clasify the useage as moderate, not heavy. Both tools have met or exceeded my expectations and superior to other brands that I have used/owned. I did bypass the dead man switch on the circular saw because I found that to be impossible to engage at the same time as the saw triger.
        I have never had problems with the saws in over a year of use. As an Electrican i don't often use the Circular saw but the i'd rather take my sawzall for a walk instead of a dog. (sawzall won't pee on your leg)

balance the sawzall is not meant to be used with one hand often but when i do have to i have not complaints The circ saw is a bit heavy but that's the trade you make for not dragging 200' of wire behind ya.

power available, sometimes more than is really needed

battery life, I have found the batteries to last for some time. When you use an impact driver the batteries seem to go longer. That was aleast when i was working with metal studs

ease of use, Some people say that the trigger and the "dead man switch" is ackward, yet i have never had such problems.....

experiences with these tools. Cutting 4" Rigid 90 degree elbows with the sawzall. overall my Ridgid power tools have had more power and better overall performace than the tools of my coworkers. And i do own, and still use a the Dewalt 12v and 18v drills. just wish the batteries were better.
        "Diplomacy is saying nice dodging until you can find a rock." Will Rogers
        "If a Monkey can do your job, are you in the right profession?

Comment

No Problems Here.

I've got both saws. In fact, I have all the 18v tools. Just remodeled my kitchen and rarely had to change the battery out during normal daily usuage. I have to admit that I was suprised using the circular saw. I didn't think going into the project that it would handle what I was going to do. I was wrong, it took every cut I put it on.
          Kilroy was here!

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman
            for those trolling or if you have never used these tools, please don't waste my time

cactus man
            nice cactus man

Comment

thank you

thanks for the good information and user opinions

cactus man

Comment

you should really give the new circ saw and especially the recip saw a good hard look. The new recip that will be coming out in the max select line is greatly improved over the model you mentioned and the same with the circ saw.

Comment

new VS old?

I have read and heard that these two tools have "newer versions"
                  of course when you search this site in power tools nothing is said.
                  I looked in the power tool section and you only see the first generation specs.

Anyone know exactly what the specs are of the newer models? or what is improved or changed?

cactus man

Comment

The batteries have changed. They are now 2.5 AH instead if 1.9 AH.
                    I have the old set and ordered the new 18V impact with 2 new 2.5 AH batteries off ebay. Just for fun I did a rather non scientific test on new battery life vs old. I had some really badly warped 13' 2X4's and cut 3 of them in half then I cut each half into little pieces (crosscut). I used one half of the same board for each of the old then new batteries. The count below shows the number of complete crosscuts before the saw quit part way through the cut. I made no attempt to use even pressure in each cut I just cut the boards like you would cut a pile of 2X4's. BTW if you attempt this test be prepared for a tired and sore forearm!

Crosscut Results

-------- 1.9 AH -------- 2.5 AH
                    test 1 -- 89 ------------ 110
                    test 2 -- 58 ------------- 79
                    test 3 -- 68 ------------- 87

This test clearly shows me 2 things, one, some of my wood was harder than the others and two the new 2.5 AH batteries have at least 25% more juice

Comment

This is way behind in updating new tools almost as bad as the home depot website. If you go to the stores you can actually check out the tools for yourself most stores have them displayed.

Comment

Working...
                      X