Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my batteries do the same things. they can be fully charged and right away click,click. dead.put them in the charger for 2 seconds, shows fully charged.try again and works.warm or room temperature same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Before any of you go doing something wild, please try this and maybe it will help.

1. Be sure all of your batteries have been removed from your tools and have been sitting on a bench or table that's at normal room temp for a few hours.

2. Make sure your charger(s) are at room temp too.

3. Charge up each battery until the charger indicates a full charge.

4. Remove battery from charger and let it cool for 1/2 hour or longer.

5. Now try each of the charged up batteries in your tool(s) and see how they work for you.

6. If you notice a good improvement, then try doing the above again.

Temperature is a problem with many types of batteries. They need to be about 65 - 80 F to properly charge and discharge. When hot they will either only part way charge and stop (over heat protector trips) or may not charge at all. When cold (especially really cold) they sometimes just won't charge up much if at all. I've had this happen with the older Ni-Cad cell batteries and even with the Li-Ion battery in my cell phone. Letting the battery sit an hour or more at room temp before charging and then letting it cool after charging really helps.

If they really are defective, I'm pretty sure that if you do have your receipt(s) that Ridgid will work out something with you. Home Depot may as well. I would try to talk with the tool department manager before you try returning them.
      I'm sorry but if you must do this to get the batteries to work properly, then they are defective. These aren't Harbor Freight tools that you have to jump up and down and hope the planets are aligned in order for them to work.

Comment

One issue with liion batteries that they don't want to let out is the lifespan of them.
        Typically they have about a two year life. Doesn't matter hor you use it, they start aging from thetime they are manufactured.

Heat kills these batteries too. One thing that worries me is when summer rolls around and these batteries are sitting in a 140*+ temp truck every day with air temps in the 100s. The batteries are going to loose capacity very very fast and will they shut down because they are too hot.

I can see having to modify an ice chest to put your charger and batteries in while on the job.

I like the advantages of this type of battery but I'm waiting until they get a real life workout and see what happens. I wouldn't buy one without it being backed up by a good warranty. If ridgid will really swap them out for life without a hassle, that's a deal.

Here is a good write up on li-ion batteries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_ion_batteries

I think they will be short lived and replaced with polymer batteries which are safer and have better lifespans.

Comment

very impressed with battery life

I bought a 24 volt Ridgid 4pc combo kit and the 24 volt drill kit and I must say that I am very impressed with the power and batt. life of these tools. I bought the tools at christmas when they went down to $317 , I just couldn't turn that deal down. I have been reading about all the problems with the batteries so I thought I should test the four batteries that I have from the two kits against themselves to make sure I didn't have any duds. I had cycled the two batteries that I carry to work about six times and hadn't noticed any difference in capacity but I had not cycled the the other two since I've bought them. So I tested all four in the Max select planer running no load with a tie wrap holding the trigger down. The batteries that had been cycled a few times ran 18 min and 30 seconds and the brand new batteries ran 18 min. I was really impressed with the consistant run time between all the batteries. I compared the 24 volt drill to my 18volt dewalt XRP and the ridgid spanked the dewalt thoughly. I used a one inch self feeding wood auger bit in pressure treated 4x4s. I got 25 holes with the dewalt with a new and properly broken in battery and I drilled with the Ridgid 24volt until I ran out of wood which came to 50 holes and I still had one bar left on the battery. Also the dewalt battery was so hot that it would not accept a charge but the Ridgid 24 volt lithium battery was hardly warm and went right to charging when I put it on the charger after drilling all those holes. I am sooo happy with my Ridgid tools. I told my co workers about the 24 volt Ridgid kit and how impressed I was with it and they had better get one while they are still avalible. Well they listened and all of them until now, were di-hard dewalt XRP fans and I too one of them. They have called me in the middle of their jobs just to thank me again for telling them about these Ridgid 24 volt tools and their long run times. Four guys bought the 24 volt combo kits and one bought the 24 volt drill kit. I also took the 24 volt drill apart and the motor has a front and rear ball bearing unlike the 18 volt Dewalt XRP drill or the milwaukee V28 drill which have one ball bearing on the P.T.O. end of the motor and an oil impregnated bronze sleeve bearing on the brush end of the motor. Also the 24 volt recip saw and the skill saw have true four pole motors with four brushes unlike Makitas four pole motors in their XLT LI-ION drills and impact wrenches which use two brushes spaced at a 90 degree angle---not a true four pole motor. I hope this post of my findings has been helpfull. Thank you

Comment

From what I have learned, these batteries of the V28 Millwaukee and the 24 volt Ridgid and all the other high powered lithium tools are the newer lithum-magnesium design which is the first lithium based battery that can be discharged at a rate of 20-30 times the amp hour capacity safely without overheating or being damaged. The older style lithium-ion and lithium-poly batteries could not be discharged at the high rates needed to power cordless tools of high power and were therfore suited only for use on low current draw applications like laptops and cell phones. The lithium magnesium battery also has a much higher cycle life (around 2000 cycles) compared to about 450 for li-ion and li-poly cells. Also the voltage of lithium magnesium is 4 volts per cell compared to 3.6 volts per cell for the li-ion and li-poly cells. The reason the lithium batteries in all these tools have electronic circuitry in them is to protect the cells from overdischarge-(no lower than 3 volts per cell) which will result in a damaged cell that may overheat and catch on fire during recharge, excessive discharge current-(more than appox. 30 times amp. hr. cap.) which may also overheat the cells and cause them to catch on fire, over charge-(more than 4.3 volts per cell) which will damage cells and cause the battery to overheat and catch on fire, and overtemp-(more than 150 degrees F.). If not protected by these circuits Lithium cells of any kind can be a very dangerous fire hazzard. Unlike ni-cads, lithium batteries are not allowed to be shipped by aircraft. Makes me wonder how we get on airlines with our laptops and cellphones?? Lithium batteries are best stored in 40% charged at 40 degrees F. This results in the lowest loss of permanent cap during storage, which is about 2% per year verses being stored at 100% charged at 80 degrees F. which results in approx 20% cap loss per year. The Dewalt Li-ion 36 volt batteries are the latest in the lithium development, it is called nano-phosphate-lithium ion, which has a very low internal cell resistance making it possible to charge the battery to 100% in just 15 min. I hope this info helps answer any questions on lithium batteries. Thank you

Comment

The problem I have is the capacity loss.

Like stated you loose 20% when the battery is stored at 80*. Now when a contractor is using these here the batteries will be 100*+ during the day and typically not even cool off to 80* at night. It's hot here in the summer.

So with the hot temps and the fact that the battery if it isn't fully charged it will be in the charger the batteries are going to die pretty quick. Will they last two years here?

If Ridgid honors the warranty on the battery and swaps them out every year or two I would be interested in their kit.

Comment

Originally posted by elcam84 View Post
                The problem I have is the capacity loss.

Like stated you loose 20% when the battery is stored at 80*. Now when a contractor is using these here the batteries will be 100*+ during the day and typically not even cool off to 80* at night. It's hot here in the summer.

So with the hot temps and the fact that the battery if it isn't fully charged it will be in the charger the batteries are going to die pretty quick. Will they last two years here?

If Ridgid honors the warranty on the battery and swaps them out every year or two I would be interested in their kit.
                I think you'll find they degrade less than NiCds or NiMh batteries which easily lose that much capacity per year and are capable of far fewer total charge cycles.

Comment

Last edited by Christopher Lambert; 04-30-2009, 02:34 AM.

Comment

RE Battery fit on Ridgid

Hello I own both the millwaukee V28 and the Ridgid24vXLI and I think their pretty close to the same a far as battery mounting securely. I prefer the Ridgid myself for battery mounting, it just seems more secure and with less play once it's mounted. They both have the little clips that engage into the battery to keep it from sliding out their about the same size but located in different spots on the batt. I like the RIDGID 24 VOLT DRILL better than the millwaukee drill, The Ridgid drill in low gear turns at 400 r.p.m. , which makes using large hole saws and bits a lot easier and you don't have to try and use the trigger to slow the drill down so you don't burn the bits up not to mention that the variable speed triggers get really hot when your trying to modulate the drill speed under heavy load. The Millwaukee drill in low turns at 600 r.p.m. - too fast for big hole saws in steel. The Ridgid does'nt heat up as much as the Millwaukee drill under the same load. The Ridgid drill motor has a front and rear ball bearing and the Millwaukee drill motor has a ball bearing at the p.t.o. end but a oil impregnated bronze bushing at the brush end hope this info has been helpfull Thank you

Comment

Steve

If you need to use larger hole saws and especially in steel, look into getting yourself one of these. I think at first you may laugh, but if you get to use one, you'll soon really love this drill.

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba...139_189333_362

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/partpdfs.nsf/PDFView/B8A6956FC4EAD586862570AD0054497E/$file/58-14-1563d9.pdf (owner's manual)

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/partpdfs.nsf/PDFView/40FF3C4E8720AAB28625680A006C1E39/$file/54-10-0225.pdf (parts list)

Note: This posting is in no way directly related to battery life or to cordless power tools. Maybe I should have sent it as a PM, but then maybe some other members of this forum will find it interesting reading.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/us/en/partpdfs.nsf/PDFView/F73D8AA39001A7BA8625680B0059FF99/$file/0675.pdf (wiring)

The electronic speed control on the model 1663-20 is a great feature and this drill has the beef to get the work done. It's no toy for sure.

Note: Look for new old stock. That is one that's been sitting around unused or has seen light use and was made before the TTI takeover.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 01-15-2007, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Chris, you may want to reconsider that pending Milwaukee purchase. I bought 3 of the 18V sets. What a mistake. The batteries fail quickly. I've gone through 5 chargers, they fail with some regularity.

Milwaukees take on their warranty, and this came direct to me from the Milwaukee home office, the warranty specifically excludes wear related failures. If it worked before it failed, the failure is wear related and not covered.

It was previously a proud and capable company. Today, it's just ryobi (which bought them out a year or so ago).

Comment

Re: 24v Battery Life

The battery shutoff again,I went to Depot and they told me that the entire combo had to be returned. So,that's just what I did.
                          Later that day I bought a Makita l-ion 18v combo on ebay for 400,which I am very happy with.(Makita makes some nice stuff)
                          Ridgid-Home Depot needs to be more customer friendly with problems such as mine,if so, I may still have the Ridgid combo. Their loss!

Comment

With all the "combos" being returned to HD for one battery failure, it's no wonder there are so many Ridgid products for sale on eBay for cheap!!! I"ve seen brand new drills go for 20 bucks!! Regularly!
                            Someone must be sneeking all the returns out the back door after closing! LOL

Mark
                            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Have had mine for 3 mos. no problems. I would say they last amost twice as long as my nicads.

Comment

Using my new Ridgid 24V drill on the job for the first time. Things are going well. Impressed with the torque and raw power balanced by the nice slow speed sensitivity and control.
                                Left drill and batteries in the truck overnight with temps in the teens.
                                Second day was going along running thee inch tap cons and other general drilling and screwing when the battery I started fresh with that morning abruptly died. Pulled out battery which I had been using the previous day and had been delivering excellent power at quiting time. Drill was dead with this battery also.
                                That night I charged both batteries and they came back to full charge in approximately 15 minutes.
                                1) Since neither battery would operate the drill is the there a "shut off" in the drill that was somehow triggered?
                                2)It doesn't seem like I was working the drill hard enough to overheat it.
                                3)I wasn't worried about the low overnight temp because the owners manual states that batteries can be used below zero degrees F. Maybe you can't leave them out overnight however.

Comment

Working...
                                X