Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24v Battery Life

Road

Try putting the batteries back in the charger and let them fully charge. That is after they have been indoors an hour or longer. Keep the drill inside too. Then give it a try. There may well be an overload protector in your drill that either needs to be reset or it might be like a fuse that has to be replaced. If you can think of anyone else with a Ridgid 24 Volt tool or if you have one, try your batteries in it. About how long has it been since you purchased them? If still pretty new and you have all your papers and the box, you could exchange them at Home Depot. Before doing that I would bring everything inside, let it sit an hour or so and then try recharging the batteries again. When cold sometimes a battery just doesn't properly charge up. The same if hot.

Comment

I have found that mine work well only if the they are not too cold. I live in upstate NY, and my kit gets left in my truck every night. If I try and run them with the batteries cold, like 10 degrees cold, I get no run time. They go from full charge to empty in literally a few seconds. I now put the batteries in the cab of my truck while driving and that little bit of warming allows them to run at full capacity.

I like the set, but I have to say I am a bit disappointed at the battery life/power of these tools. I have owned and used just about every brand and size of cordless drill out there, and these are no better than my Milwaukee 18V drills as far as power and they have less run time. I guess you get what you pay for. The tools themselves (not batteries) do seem to be very well built and look like they will hold up to a lot of abuse. The sawzall works very nicely, the circ saw and drill are adequate, and the free sabresaw is amazing. It is built like a tank! The flashlight, well, it's a flashlight..... it lights!

Comment

Maybe Ridgid having a huge problem with these batteries because the R932 24v kit is discontinued.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10656

Comment

I've had my Ridgid 24v LI drill for about 3 months, and it has been great and had plenty of power up until now. I think something is wrong with both of my batteries. If you're using it to drive little screws, the batteries will last for days, but if you try to put a load on it, such as a 4 inch hole saw, it will die immediately. For example, i had one of my batteries on the charger the entire night, went to go use it this morning, and it took about 10 seconds to go from a full charge to totally dead. Now i know a 4 inch hole saw isn't over doing it either, because this thing has more torque than most corded drills or hole hogs. Even if was to hold the chuck with my hand and pull the trigger, i can kill a fully charged battery in seconds. I don't know if both of my batteries died in about 3 months because i work outside in the cold, or what the deal is. I'd try taking it to a service center, but i don't want to pay for new batteries allready. I mailed in my registration and upc for the lifetime service thing the day i got it, and never got a confirmation or heard anything from Ridgid as it stated they would, and that was like 3 months ago. So i'm not really sure what to do now, any suggestions?

Comment

I have the combo kit as well and there is a 3 year warranty on the entire kit regardless if you register for the Lifetime Service Agreement.

Like everything in today's world, I would call first to make sure of RIDGID's procedure in your area.

Also, you can check the status of your warranty or LSA at this link https://www.customernation.com/pls/p...=&p_supergroup=
            http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

I have the same issues as everyone is describing. I've had my drill for a week and the first time I tried to use it, one battery worked okay and the other didn't work at all. Got the clicking after a couple seconds. I called Rigid and they said they don't know of any issues with the batteries. I doubt that. Home Depot doesn't carry the 24 volt batteries separately in my area but they said I could return the drill. I got a good price and can't find it anywhere now, so I don't want to return it. I went to a service center and they told me they haven't seen too many 24v tools coming back. They said there was a problem with a switch in the 18v drills that was killing batteries for some reason. I asked him about the warranty issue and if it's really necessary to register the tool to get the lifetime warranty. They told me that Rigid is pretty good about the warranty and he has never had a problem with any kind of time limit or lack of registration with them. I dropped off my entire drill kit. He said they'll check it, order parts and I should have it back by the end of the week. I can live with that if it works. I'm keeping the box though.

Comment

The link to that website doesn't work...

Comment

I have to start by saying I wish I'd never looked at this thread. I too bought a 24V LI kit around Christmas for $317, however I have had little trouble with the batteries. I love this kit, it is amply powerful and seems to have plenty of lasting ability. For example, I had to cut jet blocks on an angle for my boss who forgot to do it, the blocks were 2x6 and like i said it was an angle cut. When i grabbed the battery it had 3 bars. I was able to cut through 30 of the blocks before the battery finally died. I dont have a lot of experience with cordless tools yet but i asked my boss what he thought of it and he was impressed by it. The only time I have ever had trouble with these is I went to use the drill once when it had set in my truck overnight during one of our colder nights, (well below zero) and it did the same thing it said full charge and died immediately. I proceeded to throw it on the charger for about 5 minutes and it worked fine from there. I feel bad for those who have had poor luck with these kits, but in my experience thus far I am extremely happy.

Comment

It hasn't even been that cold where i am lately, usualy between 30 and 40 degrees, and the batteries are supposed to be good to below zero. I've tried charging them indoors, and I can still take one of my fully charged warm batteries, put it in my drill and hold the chuck still with my hand, while pulling the trigger. something is really messed up with mine, but i don't think i can do anything about it until Ridgid sends me my warrenty card in the mail.

Comment

I have the 932 kit and have had no problems with my batteries. When I first got it I ran them and charged them under no load a few times to test them after reading about problems on this forum. I have used them on a few jobs and am still happy I made the purchase. As for HD not selling the 932 kit, they now offer the 3pc kit for nearly the same $ as the 4pc 932 kit, same tools.

Comment

Originally posted by Death By Spooork View Post
                        The link to that website doesn't work...

just click on the my MYEBOX link on the bottom middle of the pag. Sorry, the link was working at the time of the post.
                        Last edited by onlycordless; 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM.
                        http://www.cgiconnection.com/download

Comment

Originally posted by christoper View Post
                          I have the same issues as everyone is describing. I've had my drill for a week and the first time I tried to use it, one battery worked okay and the other didn't work at all. Got the clicking after a couple seconds. I called Rigid and they said they don't know of any issues with the batteries. I doubt that. Home Depot doesn't carry the 24 volt batteries separately in my area but they said I could return the drill. I got a good price and can't find it anywhere now, so I don't want to return it. I went to a service center and they told me they haven't seen too many 24v tools coming back. They said there was a problem with a switch in the 18v drills that was killing batteries for some reason. I asked him about the warranty issue and if it's really necessary to register the tool to get the lifetime warranty. They told me that Rigid is pretty good about the warranty and he has never had a problem with any kind of time limit or lack of registration with them. I dropped off my entire drill kit. He said they'll check it, order parts and I should have it back by the end of the week. I can live with that if it works. I'm keeping the box though.
                          I suspect some batteries have their overload protection set way too low. Hopefully you've got them registered so you can get a replacement.

Comment

I talked to a Ridgid rep today who said; the 24v batteries had a problem with a defective cell causing low run times/failure in some of the early units.

Comment

I exchanged my R932 kit last weekend at the Auburn, NY Home Depot due to defective batteries. They still had 5 of the R932 four tool kits left in stock. If they don't have any at your store I believe they can do a store transfer.

Comment

I have the same battery life problems. I am often forced to get out my old, worn out 12V Dewalt drill to finish a job. The worn out Dewalt drill has a longer battery life by far. When I place the "dead" Rigid lithium batteries on the charger it takes only 2-5 minutes to show a full charge. Hot, cold does not matter.

I have taken the batteries in to a local repair shop three times and received a replacement battery ...but sadly...the same problem persists.

I like the tools but I am really sorry that I purchased them. The lifetime warranty is not worth the aggravation. A friend of mine bought a Dewalt set the same weekend and he is singing its praises.

Has anyone found a solution to this problem. I called Rigid and they referred me to the local repair facility. The local guy is good but what is he going to do besides sympathize with me.

Comment

Working...
                                X