Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24v Battery Life

Originally posted by mteng View Post
    I have the same battery life problems. I am often forced to get out my old, worn out 12V Dewalt drill to finish a job. The worn out Dewalt drill has a longer battery life by far. When I place the "dead" Rigid lithium batteries on the charger it takes only 2-5 minutes to show a full charge. Hot, cold does not matter.
    Two possibilities.

First; Are you judging the battery charge by the indicator on the battery? I have found that to be useless. It quickly shows full on the battery with all my 24v cells a few minutes after I plug them in. If I take them off they quickly go back to zero. However, if I let them charge till the light changes on the charger...not the battery...indicating a full charge, they work fine.

Second possibility is you have a bad charger.

I really doubt you got that many bad batteries.

Comment

I have a 24V Ridgid Skill Saw and 3 batteries. I only use this occassionally because sometimes I have a small cut to make and I don't want to drag out the extension cord.

But this saw and batteries are only good for a small job. Ripping a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood will completely exhaust a fully charged battery. In addition, the batteries have very poor charge shelf life. In a matter of weeks in warm weather and days in cold weather, the battteries self discharge to 1 or 2 bars.

I have the lifetime guarantee on this and have received 5 battery replacements over the past 2 years but they make it as hard as they can to get a replacement as they insist you return the tool with the bad battery and loose its use for weeks.

I have 4 year old Bosch 36V batteries that out perform these Ridgid batteries by a factor of 5. If I had to relied on my cordless skill saw more I would have dumped the Ridgid a long time ago.

Incidently, I also have 9v and 12v Ridgid tools. The 9v is just a screw gun and it seems to have pretty good battery life but the 12v impact driver is good for about a dozen good size screws on a battery. I just bought a Bosch 12v impact that puts the Ridgid to shame.

Comment

what is a skill saw?

Comment

Originally posted by pesciwasp View Post
          what is a skill saw?
          Means a "circ saw" like sawzall and recip saw. Look, when will you all realize that this LSA is used to lure you into buying these cordless tools. I have stopped buying anymore Ridgid cordless. The lack of a local service center annd the hoops they make you jump through to get a replacement is absurd. I have to take my entire 8 pc set for a battery replacement? By the terms of LSA they might require it. Give me a break, theare doing this to discourage you from seeking a new battery. What other company , under warranty requires this? Milwaukee, which is the same TTI, does not require this. You just send in the battery, nothing else. I have stopped drinking the orange Ridgid Koolaid. Sorry I ever go into their cordless lineup. The 24v batteries are a major disappointment whatever the reason is, and there seems to be zero interest on Ridgid's part to address the problem, just keep replacing them with same problem batteries. They hope we will go away over time, I guess. This is not rocket science. My guess is they are using cheaply made cells.
          My 18v NiCd Milwaukee, DeWalt tools all out perform them, even the Ridgid 18v designed tools too, not the dual voltage ones, as the run at too slow of a speed at 18v. I now think the cordless Ridgid line up is a "dressed up" Ryobi lineup with a premium price. These are not true professional tools. You rarely see them on job sites and other than here are not talked about much by pros.
          Constant new models, never having a good refined design to start with that is improved over time as most othe manuf. do, such as the type 1,2..etc. They just ditch the model and make another design, limited production runs for HD. Think about it who else does this? Think about how many drills have they come out with that are all basically the same. I would like to know why they really do this.

They could easily , if they were serious about CS, just have the HD store exchange the batteries, even just give exchanged rebuilt packs, if the pack is OK then they could give it out again , who would care if you could easily get an exchange, or with a simple in store battery test, determine the condition. How Roadrashray got HD to exchange the kit after 90 days is not in the realm of reality in any HD stores here in SoCal.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
            How Roadrashray got HD to exchange the kit after 90 days is not in the realm of reality in any HD stores here in SoCal.
            Huh? Andrew, if you would stop ranting and start reading, you might notice that my post was from 2007 and was within 90 days of my purchase of that kit.......Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
              Means a "circ saw" like sawzall and recip saw. Look, when will you all realize that this LSA is used to lure you into buying these cordless tools. I have stopped buying anymore Ridgid cordless. The lack of a local service center annd the hoops they make you jump through to get a replacement is absurd. I have to take my entire 8 pc set for a battery replacement? By the terms of LSA they might require it. Give me a break, theare doing this to discourage you from seeking a new battery. What other company , under warranty requires this? Milwaukee, which is the same TTI, does not require this. You just send in the battery, nothing else. I have stopped drinking the orange Ridgid Koolaid. Sorry I ever go into their cordless lineup. The 24v batteries are a major disappointment whatever the reason is, and there seems to be zero interest on Ridgid's part to address the problem, just keep replacing them with same problem batteries. They hope we will go away over time, I guess. This is not rocket science. My guess is they are using cheaply made cells.
              My 18v NiCd Milwaukee, DeWalt tools all out perform them, even the Ridgid 18v designed tools too, not the dual voltage ones, as the run at too slow of a speed at 18v. I now think the cordless Ridgid line up is a "dressed up" Ryobi lineup with a premium price. These are not true professional tools. You rarely see them on job sites and other than here are not talked about much by pros.
              Constant new models, never having a good refined design to start with that is improved over time as most othe manuf. do, such as the type 1,2..etc. They just ditch the model and make another design, limited production runs for HD. Think about it who else does this? Think about how many drills have they come out with that are all basically the same. I would like to know why they really do this.

They could easily , if they were serious about CS, just have the HD store exchange the batteries, even just give exchanged rebuilt packs, if the pack is OK then they could give it out again , who would care if you could easily get an exchange, or with a simple in store battery test, determine the condition. How Roadrashray got HD to exchange the kit after 90 days is not in the realm of reality in any HD stores here in SoCal.
              What other company , under warranty requires this? Are you serious? What other company gives free batteries for life?! Free batteries to people who use them for a living, that is unheard of pal! I agree with some of your gripes, but get real.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                Huh? Andrew, if you would stop ranting and start reading, you might notice that my post was from 2007 and was within 90 days of my purchase of that kit.......Ray
                I stand corrected on the date. My mistake. I do not feel that I am as you say "ranting" as my issues are shared by many concerning the LiI battery issues. The exchange comment by me was only 1 aspect of my thoughts. I have a right as you do to express my opinion . The " cheerleader" is fine but serves little value in having any practical real help We are talking about powertools not being critical about personal morals or something serious.
                I also think some statements made are biased toward Ridgid fans and others are really rants, usually those with 1 or 2 posts. Can you explain what I said that you consider invalid? I own over 20 Ridgid cordless tools, so I think I have enough experience to make valid points. Again I have some Ridgid tools that are good to very good., The cordless especially the 24v lineup is what I am most displeased with. I consider myself to blame most at going for the bait in using LSA as the main reason for buying into Ridgid cordless when I knew by just looking at most of the tool designs and build that these were not much above Ryobi , which I do own as well and are a good value for the money.

Comment

We have 2 of these kits, all the batteries died an early death, Home Depot said call Ridgid, we did that but we didn't get the warranty cards turned in in time. They advertised a lifetime warranty on the tools, 3 years on the batteries ,but it doesn't mean anything if you haven't turned in your card. I will not buy any Ridgid Power Tools ever again. They sell a product with a defect & then won't warranty the product without a warranty card turned in. A warranty is still a warranty with or without a card. So screw these guys.

Comment

Originally posted by dogman1313 View Post
                    We have 2 of these kits, all the batteries died an early death, Home Depot said call Ridgid, we did that but we didn't get the warranty cards turned in in time. They advertised a lifetime warranty on the tools, 3 years on the batteries ,but it doesn't mean anything if you haven't turned in your card. I will not buy any Ridgid Power Tools ever again. They sell a product with a defect & then won't warranty the product without a warranty card turned in. A warranty is still a warranty with or without a card. So screw these guys.
                    Let me guess, you yelled at the rep on the phone....

I to forgot to mail in the cards/upc, but I was nice to the rep, and after producing the serial numbers and proof of purchase from home depot, they honored the warranty and had new batteries, charger and a new trigger for my drill in less than 2 weeks...

Wana sell those "junk" tools, I'll buy them from you for the cost of shipping + a dollar.
                    Last edited by Alphacowboy; 04-26-2011, 11:42 PM.

Comment

If you were within the 3-year year period (and had the sales receipt to prove it) there is no need to send in the so-called "warranty card". First off, I don't recall any "warranty" card.... there's a "registration" card and I've never sent them in... ever!

But, I have always taken the necessary steps to get online and register the product into the system... what used to be called your "E-Box" and is now referred to as your "Dashboard" (stupid name, IMO).

In addition, and as required by the rules of the LLSA, I have also mailed in the original UPC from the product carton and included a copy of my sales receipt, along with my contact information and the model and serial numbers of the tools and individual components. That is a rather clearly stated "requirement" of the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement.

I have yet to have a problem or anything come up missing. I have of course had to call Customer Service a couple of times with a friendly inquiry, but that has always been answered in like by a very friendly representative who goes the measure to ensure that my records are straightened out.

But, as initially mentioned... you don't have to have the LLSA, or registration of any kind to get warranty service within the 3-year warranty period. The LLSA is however, not a warranty, or an extended warranty.... it is an AGREEMENT in which they will do their part (lifetime service), if you do your part (properly register, by sending in the UPC, receipt, etc.) So, if you don't hold up your part of the bargain.... guess what?

Now I know some of you guys think that all this is just so much BS and you consider it "jumping through hoops". Hey, whatever floats your boat, but the whole process takes less time than going through the process of buying the tool; and, considering the added value gained and the money saved in servicing, that's pretty good payment for your extra 20 minutes or so.

CWS
                      Last edited by CWSmith; 04-27-2011, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X