Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24v Battery Life

Hello,

I would like to know what people are experiencing as far as how long their new 24v lithium batteries are lasting. Mine were terrible at first; but have only improved a little after several weeks of use.

I am going to post specific examples (length of screws, material used, settings, etc) and wonder if anyone else could comment on their experience with these new batteries.

To cut to the chase: subjectively they seem to last only half or even less than half as long as my dewalt 18v tools.

details to follow...

mr Z

Why don't you exchange them at home depot? You have 90 days. You spend that much you should get your moneys worth? Sitting on the issue is just going to get you more fired up in the future.

Comment

I probably should...i just want to know if they are bad or if that is just how they are. I'd hate to exchange them and the new ones did the same thing. How is the battery life on yours, do you have the 24v?
      also, doesn't HD give you grief if you have already used them?

mr Z

Comment

I have the Milwaukee 28V Li. They seem to run for days, and it's basically the same technology as they're from TTI.

From what I've read, Ridgid's 24V charge is nothing short of great. You should at least call Ridgids customer service. It might be a hassle to call or visit HD, but you won't regret it.

The only tool I ever exchanged at HD was my Ridgid MSUV. It was used for 2weeks. It would bob up and down every time I made a cut....it was defective. I thought I would just live with it, but the movement really tested me, and I'm so glad I exchanged it.

BTW, if you exchange it rather than go through Ridgid, you probably won't have to wait for repairs, etc. And did you register for the lifetime service agreement?

Comment

That is odd, you may have a dude battery.

Honestly it is the same battery as the V28 pack, minus one 4v cells. The V28 has 7 cells, the 24xli pack has 6. They are rated at 3amp hours.

Comment

I purchased the 24v tools recently and after a little use, have experienced the same result. I'm thinking of taking the batteries back to Home Depot where I bought them. Although, I find it strange that more than one person would have the same issue if it was just one bum battery.

When I used the battries to drill holes in masonry, I drilled just a few holes before the battery went dead. Then it only took about 20 minutes to get a full charge. Seemed odd to me.

Comment

I was in the store the other day checking out the combo kit a guy told me he bought it and the batteries had a terrible run time barely able to drive any screws before the battery died. Also he said the fuel gauge was screwy said he had a full charge then drilled a screw and the battery was dead. I love ridgid tools and was really looking forward to this new set but I am very nervous now.

I do know that my cell phone that uses lithium ion batteries said that the batteries need to go through a couple of charge and discharge cycles before getting to optimum performance. Now the phone runs great. Could this be the case with these batteries? I sure hope so.
              Last edited by davy; 09-07-2006, 06:19 PM.

Comment

just bought 24v combo

Has anybody had problems with the 24v combo? yesterday my drill suddenly went dead (it has 3 lights on the battery before this) I put the battery back on the charger and it came to full charge,in minutes. Maybe the battery is defective. Will Homely Depot allow a single battery exchange without returning the whole combo?

Comment

Originally posted by FURPEOPLE View Post
                  Has anybody had problems with the 24v combo? yesterday my drill suddenly went dead (it has 3 lights on the battery before this) I put the battery back on the charger and it came to full charge,in minutes. Maybe the battery is defective. Will Homely Depot allow a single battery exchange without returning the whole combo?
                  what some of you may have experinced is the overload circuit in the battery tripping, it happens occasionaly and the fuel guage registers no charge and the drill wont go, but all you have to do is put it in the charger for about 3 seconds to reset the circuit and it works fine again.

Comment

This is a concern.

Originally posted by TreCool88 View Post
                    what some of you may have experinced is the overload circuit in the battery tripping, it happens occasionaly and the fuel guage registers no charge and the drill wont go, but all you have to do is put it in the charger for about 3 seconds to reset the circuit and it works fine again.
                    Someone on this forum returned theirs because of this. Ridgid might have been too conservative with their battery/tool protection. The guy that returned his said the drill shut down several times on a job...likewise the reciprocating saw. Very frustrating to have to climb down a ladder and put the battery back in the charger to reset it. If they thought the battery protection was a good idea they should have had a way to reset it without returning it to the charger. I experienced this once with the drill. It was when I accidently was changing gears and touched the trigger. The trans locked up and the drill immediately died.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                      Someone on this forum returned theirs because of this. Ridgid might have been too conservative with their battery/tool protection. The guy that returned his said the drill shut down several times on a job...likewise the reciprocating saw. Very frustrating to have to climb down a ladder and put the battery back in the charger to reset it. If they thought the battery protection was a good idea they should have had a way to reset it without returning it to the charger. I experienced this once with the drill. It was when I accidently was changing gears and touched the trigger. The trans locked up and the drill immediately died.
                      i havent had this problem cept for maybe once or twice with the drill, never with the saws. you should understand why they do it.. lithium based batteries are very volatile, if they overload and vent they can cause a fire that burns at over 1000 degress and you need a special class d fire extinguisher to put it out, chances are you dont have one but the fire department does.

Comment

Should the combo go back?

I wonder if this is why the combo is so inexpensive?
                        I dont mind resetting the battery every so often,but constantly resetting,isnt going to happen (the combo's will be gone)
                        The 615 in lb of torque,sounds impressive,but is that torque available at the chuck,or will some electronic circut breaker stop the tool when under a heavy load? If so, the drill is useless.
                        Ridgids enginners have some homework to do.

Comment

Originally posted by FURPEOPLE View Post
                          I wonder if this is why the combo is so inexpensive?
                          I dont mind resetting the battery every so often,but constantly resetting,isnt going to happen (the combo's will be gone)
                          The 615 in lb of torque,sounds impressive,but is that torque available at the chuck,or will some electronic circut breaker stop the tool when under a heavy load? If so, the drill is useless.
                          Ridgids enginners have some homework to do.

i dont know, maybe you guys just got bad batteries? i use mine to drill thrjough wood, steel, concrete, aluminum and never had any trouble... i've even cut down an almunium store front door with the circular saw and never tripped the batter protection circuit... like i said earlier i did it once or twice but that was from rapidly starting and stoppingn the drill.

Comment

I just bought the 24V xli combo pack and am having issues with my batteries as well. I drilled 14 3" screws....6 thru MDF and 8 thru some cheap pine. I went thru both batteries doing this. Actually, the second battery died before finishing the last screw and I had to pull out my Ridgid 14.4 to finish the job. WTF? I can't exchange the pack because it was the last one and on clearance. Does anyone know if this is why these were clearanced? Are they being discontinued because of battery life? Is it likely that I got 2 dud batteries? Will HD just let you exchange for new batteries? I haven't registered yet because I just got the combo pack this weekend. Thanks.

Comment

Before any of you go doing something wild, please try this and maybe it will help.

1. Be sure all of your batteries have been removed from your tools and have been sitting on a bench or table that's at normal room temp for a few hours.

2. Make sure your charger(s) are at room temp too.

3. Charge up each battery until the charger indicates a full charge.

4. Remove battery from charger and let it cool for 1/2 hour or longer.

5. Now try each of the charged up batteries in your tool(s) and see how they work for you.

6. If you notice a good improvement, then try doing the above again.

Temperature is a problem with many types of batteries. They need to be about 65 - 80 F to properly charge and discharge. When hot they will either only part way charge and stop (over heat protector trips) or may not charge at all. When cold (especially really cold) they sometimes just won't charge up much if at all. I've had this happen with the older Ni-Cad cell batteries and even with the Li-Ion battery in my cell phone. Letting the battery sit an hour or more at room temp before charging and then letting it cool after charging really helps.

If they really are defective, I'm pretty sure that if you do have your receipt(s) that Ridgid will work out something with you. Home Depot may as well. I would try to talk with the tool department manager before you try returning them.

Comment

Working...
                              X