X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty sweet Delta deal: 10" Table saw & compound miter for $149

Amazon has a deal if you spend $199 on tools you get $25 dollars off. And Delta has a $25 rebate on the purchase combination of the tools below:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...9?ie=UTF8&s=hi

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...770369?ie=UTF8

The total for the 2 tools is $198, so you have to find something for one dollar to get the Amazon $25 off.

I realize the rip capacity of the ts is limited and it's not a slide miter saw, but it's still a great deal, and the ts comes with a stand. Good for ppl on limited budget.

That particular table saw will be just a tick better than useless. Very light, underpowered, inaccurate, loud, and likely not overly reliable. Even the small table size is a safety hazard...I'd heartily recommend saving your money for a heavier duty machine. If that's the top end of your budget, a used machine is a better choice IMO....I see used cast iron contractor saws every Saturday for ~ $100

The CMS should work ok....

Comment

IMO in the long run, you'll end up being much happier with a good used contractor style saw and a good miter gauge then you will be with the two Delta saws. In general any cut that you can make on a 10" CMS you can safely make with a contractor style table saw.

My first TS was one similar to that Delta. I had it for around a year and was continually frustrated by its lack of capabilities. As hewood stated, it was underpowered, very loud and you can also forget about doing any single pass dado's over 1/2" wide.

I know that for many money is a driving force behind what tool to purchase and I understand that. However, it's also said that the most expensive tools are the ones you have to buy more than once.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

"That particular table saw will be just a tick better than useless"----
        LOL, hewood, you give it a lot more credit than I would.

Keep in mind, also, the fence and miter gauge are junk and aren't standard size, so there aren't any aftermarket units that will fit this POS when you finally get fed up with not being able to make an accurate cut.
        I agree you'd be better off to buy a decent used saw that can be upgraded later if need be.
        And probably the worst thing with those little saws is that they're top heavy and can tip over if you try to push a sizable piece of wood through them. Forget trying to cut any kind of sheet goods unless you build a table all the way around it and bolt it to the floor, but even then it wouldn't have the power to do it well and you'd have spent the cost of a better saw.

So do yourself a big favor and look for some good used or reconditioned tools.
        Let your woodworking be fun, not frustration!!

Comment

all good points. what on earth was i thinking posting that

just seemed like a good deal, but after further review.....i'm a moron!

i'm not that dumb, considering i bought the ts2400 (unfrigginbelievable saw), but on this instance i was

Comment

No need to be so hard on yourself....you did good when it was crunchtime!

Comment

Badger Dave.. Just curious..How would you use a TS to remove 3" from the length of a 10' 2x4?("In general, any cut that you can make on a 10" CMS you can safely make with a contractor style table saw.")
              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

FINER9998, you read but you don't comprehend grasshopper. The key part of my statement were the words "In general". I didn't say that ALL cuts that can be made on a 10" CMS can also be done safely with a contractor style table saw.
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

i dont know i have a delta table saw and find it very useful for a hobbest saw. i would not want to rip down 4x8 sheets of ply wood but it is fine for 1bys up to 4-5 foot in length. it is not a great saw but for the money it does a fine job.
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

What's so hard about cutting 3" off of a 10' 2x4 with a TS? Use a sawhorse or something similar to support the end opposite the cut. I do not have a CMS and I have done that dozens of times.
                    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Badger Dave...My question wasn't meant to be offensive. Be assured that my post was sincerely based in understanding if there were techniques to table saw crosscutting that I was not aware of.

Comment

Rafael... Do you really find that easier that using a guide and a circular saw? Again, as a novice, I'm just looking to gather information concerning technique(s) .

Comment

I find my circular saw far more dangerous than my TS for such a cut. It is easy.
                          The CMS is the best way to do it, but I don't have one.
                          www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Working...
                          X