X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14.4V vs 18V cordless drills

Can someone enlighten me as the the difference between 14.4V and 18V cordless drills? Doess the difference in voltage show in power or duration?

3.6 volts dont sound like much does it? but that is the main differnce. the 18 volt tools should have longer run time due to the fact it shouldn't be working as hard. think of like this, you have 2 chevy V8 engines both are 100% the same but one has a blower on it giving it 75 more horse power witch engin now has to work less to move the same weight? more or less it is the same thing with the drill, just think how much more run time and power you will have with the 24 volt drill as that has to work even less then the 18 volt stuff. i hope this helps some.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Two big differences are price and weight. If you want a drill/driver that you will be using all day to make a living then the 18V would be the better choice. However, if all you're looking for is a drill to use in your shop and around the house, the 14.4V is all the drill/driver you'll ever need. Chances are real good that you'll never discharge one battery before the other is recharged so why pay more for the 18V and also have to lug the extra weight of the 18V around when it isn't necessary?
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

So the 14.4V and the 18V drills are the same, its just that the 18V model can run longer due to the fact that the drill doesn't have to work as hard to achieve the same amount of work.

Is this why hammer drills are offered in 14.4 models as well?

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug
          So the 14.4V and the 18V drills are the same, its just that the 18V model can run longer due to the fact that the drill doesn't have to work as hard to achieve the same amount of work.

well sort of the motor in the 18volt has more power and torque than the 14.4 i also think but am not sure there in a gear box diffence as well(harden vs non harden metal gears)and there used to be a 14.4 hammer drill avalble but i am not sure if they still are or not.
          9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

It depends on the manufacturer. Some of them have the same drill model with different batteries/motors but share the same gearboxes and construction. Others cheapen down the 14.4v models and they are actually inferior. I know dewalt for example uses the same parts for 12/14.4/18v.
            The biggest advantage to an 18v drill will be its run time. They run considerably longer but weigh a little more and the battery is bulkier. Depending on the application and run time aside 14.4v should be able to do almost anything 18v can. For drilling regular holes in wood for example I think it would be hard to feel a difference. When using it for applications that really push the drill like hole saws, self feed bits, the 14.4 will probabaly die fast and feel a bit inadequate. When it comes to hammer drilling the more power the better. I would not consider less than 18v for this. 14.4 hammer drills can handle softer materials like brick or block almost reasonable runtime before needing charging but for serious stuff like poured concrete, reinforced concrete, and stuff with stone aggregate it will really struggle and it won't get more than 3 or 4 holes.

Comment

Can someone enlighten me as the the difference between 14.4V and 18V cordless drills? Doess the difference in voltage show in power or duration?
              I would think that the main difference is the 14.4V contain four 3.6V cells and 18V contain five 3.6V cells, thus resulting in increased size, weight and most importantly amp hour rating of the battery, which in turn allows the tool to perform at a higher level for a longer duration.

Woodslayer

Comment

actually, the MA/h or milliamp hours will determine the total energy capacity of the battery. You could have a 14V battery pack with greater MA/H than an 18V.

The power/gearing of the tool will determine the torque. All tools are not created equal. Some really are better.

All batteries are not created equal. Some really are better.

Everything else being equal, an 18V will provide more power than a 14.4V. This power can be used for longer run time, or doing things the less powerful cannot do. That's up to both the user and the manufacturer.

To make it more complicated, the type of battery makes a big difference. An 18VLiIon will provide more power than an 18V NiMH, which is an improvement over 18VNiCd.

Comment

Working...
                X