X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hammer Drill Question

I had a customer come in today looking at some of the bigger Bosch Hammer Drills. Specificially models 11241EVS,
    11263EVS, and 11245EVS.

He had a question i couldn't answer and i told him i'd try and find out for him. He needs to use a 2" diameter bit; This one. According to the specs the only drill that should be used is the 11245. His question was why wouldn't the other drills work? The capacity isn't a huge differance. Is it the amps of the motor or is it something else?

Thanks a bunch for any response.

they made that bit to with stand impact power,the modle theyn want that bit to be used in has the most impact power out of the three.now i can tell you as far as a better built machine the 11245 is the best out of the three.the other 2 have a few problems,and i personally from a tool tech mech.do not like the way the other 2 are designed.(but that is just me).buy the way that bit should fit a hilti too.
    A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

I've never dealt with SDS bits of that size but I think it should work on any of those as long as its SDS-Max type. The maximum size rating by the manufacturer is probably based more on their recomendation based on the tool power output. You can see how the impact energy in particular increases rather dramatically with each model. My guess is the 2" SDS bit will work fine on all but due to its size might feel inadequately powered if not downright ineffective on really hard concrete with the smaller ones.

Comment

personally with a 2'' hole, i would use diamond core bit. this is much faster and will cut rebar if needed. also they make both wet and dry cutting bits.

i have a handheld electric 3 speed, gas hand held and 2 rack mounted coring machines. for 2'' i would use a hand held for speed and ease. unless you need exact precision or large holes the 3 speed is perfect.

ps. 2'' diamond core bits are a lot less expensive than a sds max bit. in fact a dry cutting diamond core bit will connect to a grinder and even has a vacuum attachment. still less expensive than the 2'' sds max bit.

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

The facts-

The drills will work with a little patience. I would guess from your posting that the user is a not a pro and probably won't be doing a 2" hole very often. if I am wrong, just say.

If I am on it, then you can rest assured that any of the old dinosaurs that HD carries will get the job done at least a couple of times.

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK
            personally with a 2'' hole, i would use diamond core bit. this is much faster and will cut rebar if needed. also they make both wet and dry cutting bits.

rick.

Right when he told me about a 2" hole i recommended a dry core bit for cost reasons and he said he doesn't like those and would rather use a normal bit. Oh well, to each his own.

Originally posted by donutboy
            The drills will work with a little patience. I would guess from your posting that the user is a not a pro and probably won't be doing a 2" hole very often. if I am wrong, just say.
            He's some sort of professional but only needs to drill holes like that maybe 4-5 times a year and he's rented a drill each time so he figures he's paid for about a quarter + of the price of a drill so why not buy one then have it pay for itself in a couple of years. Thats why he's looking into buying one.

Thanks a lot for the info. He's comming in tommorow again and i'll relay this information to him.

Comment

I have to agree with Rick on the dry core bits, they are great and fast. Maybe this person is worried about the core bit fetching up and twisting his arm off, so he elects to use the slower speed hammer drill & bit. If that is what he is most comfortable with using I would say that is the better tool for him.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X