Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure if I should go with the 10" or the 12". I am by no means a professional and only do my own work and helping friends out, but I want to make sure that I get what I need without losing out on any future needs also. I guess if the difference in the 10" and 12" is minimal, I would probably just go with the 10". I need to do some more looking and see just what I am giving up going with the 10" instead of the 12". My philosophy is usually go big or go home, but if i can get a quality saw, save some bucks, and have it smaller for transport, etc., why the heck not.....
    Last edited by ndv5623; 09-13-2006, 06:46 PM.
    Nate

Comment

While looking at the difference in saws, also check out the difference in the cost of blades between 10" & 12". A good quality blade makes a world of difference, but you will probably want several tooth configurations if you use yours for both furniture work and rough work like I do.
      I have an old(?) craftsman 8 1/4" SCMS (bought in the early '90s). I recently built two 20' handicapped ramps and a 12' x 16' deck exxtension this summer and it did all I needed except for the 4 x 4s (8 1/4" has only about a 3" depth of cut, so I had to rotate them). When it dies, I plan on a 10" to replace it, but at present am very happy with its accuracy. Realize that with a sliding saw, you'll have wider capacity, but may have some wobble from the slide mech, especially as it gets older. The smaller the blade, the less pronounced this will be.

Just a thought
      Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

The 10 inch makita will cut a nominal 4x12 lumber - ask yourself if you will need more than this. Also as Gofor mentioned, the price of 10" vs. 12" blade is something to consider.
        Lowes has $100 off on the Dewalt TS if you are interested...

Comment

OK, so did we ever decide whether the "Reconditioned" tools on the HD website are really reconditioned? They do have the 2400 TS on there. What are everyone's thoughts on that?
          Nate

Comment

I don't know off the top of my head what a NIB TS2400 costs but it seems to me that you could get one cheaper than what you'll end up paying for that recon TS2400. $349 for the recon is an OK price I guess but when you add in the $136.33 it'll cost to ship it, you end up paying $485.33 total. Not a very good deal.
            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I think $449.00 was the price I saw last weekend on a new TS-2400 over my way. Probably doesn't vary much from that around the country. I would go new over the reconditioned TS as Dave suggested. You are not saving anything and many times reconditioned tools are not elligible for the same warranty coverage as a NIB item (Ridgid's policy may or may not cover it the same as a new tool).
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
              X