X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why would i buy v18 ?

I picked it up today in Ferguson and the bloody thing is huge! I would say 2 inches taller than my yellow POS and they weigh the same if you ask me. I know that this is a Ridgid place, but hey since "we are family" why would i want to buy v18? You gotta say something better than "lithium man!" because here in NC the Lithium is crapping out in peoples vans.

Donutboy,

Obviosly I can't speak for everyone, but I'd guess it's a matter of "POWER" for most folks. IMHO, it's too big for my use. I'm a homeowner and not in the trades, so my needs are occasional (but I'm working on two houses at the moment... so more occasional than I prefer right now). In my case, I have a 14.4 volt drill/driver and the 14.4 impact driver. Everything else is corded. The 14.4 size fits my needs and is not too big, has plenty of power, etc.

LIkewise, I picked Ridgid, because with "occasional" use the batteries are not going to get the frequent cycling that they need for longevity. Hence, the free replacement under Ridgid's Limited Lifetime Service Agreement is a major attraction. (That's why "Ridgid", whatever your preferred battery size.)

CWS

Comment

When you say v18 are you refering to Milwaukee. If you are there are many reason to buy the V18. As far as crapping out did those people charge and discharge their batteries at least 10 times to get the batteries up to optimum performance. Read instruction manual if you are like myself and most guys who don't normally. The lithium ion batteries are much lighter than any counterparts even than the yellow crap. They have a longer run time after they are properly cycled. There is no memory effect you can simply top off the battery at anytime and at any level. Built in fuel gauge to let you know where the battery level stands. 2000 plus charge cycles waranted make sure you take batteries to authorized service center 1-2 times per year again in manual. Computer chip in battery date stamps the first time you charge the battery. The best thing is that the v18 charger will charge 18v nicad in 30 minutes, 18v lithium ion and 28v lithium ion. The sawzall is awesome although the hatchet is damn cool too. The drill has more torque up to 600in/lbs almost twice the yellow which has a measly 312in/lbs. Comes in a hard case instead of a bag. Also far better tolerences to both heat and cold will charge in temperatures in which the yellow won't. The yellow has far slimmer charging temperatures similar to the nicad batteries. Also you have to burn a charge cycle to use the fuel gauge on the yellow.

If you are referring to ridgid the same pretty much applies except that Ridgid is 24v and will run on the 18v batteries nicad and lithium but the 24's won't fit the old nicad tool. Also you can't use one charger for all the batteries yet. And of course Ridgid has the free replacement batteries and lifetime service agreement including the lithium ion. Also the 24v batteries are definitely lighter than the 18v nicads. Comes in a bag would prefer a hard case. Also I like the 24v recip much better tooless shoe adjustment much better handle and grip. Also the right sided blade on the circ saw is easier to use as well.

And the best thing they are both lighter than that yellow pos which is way to heavy.

And I agree with you CWS 14.4 is all you are really going to need around the house 24-28 would be overkill.
      Last edited by RedBaron; 09-13-2006, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Thanks Red!

I really appreciate your comments and suggestions on the batteries. Maybe that is why I am hearing such negative things about v28 here. NO ONE IN AMERICA READS!

But what I am reading from online inside folk is that the yellow team has a far superior lithium chemistry, and that they just screwed up when they launced such a large battery. I don't really care about the fuel guage, that is just way to Hokey for me. I just want to grab it and go. I don't like the fine print on the v series stuff. I like the 2 year date coded stuff on the yellow. Heck i took a battery in that was 20 weeks past date code from Dewalt and the service center took it. In Seattle that would have been impossible due there was no center.

I hope we keep this topic open, you bring up some good points.

Comment

I got such a killer deal on the V28 4pc set, that I couldn't pass it up.

Things I really like about the tools:

The hammer drill is friggin unbelievable. I had a decking project that required coupious drilling on pressure treated 3X6's, etc. with an auger bit, and it performed awesome. It made my life super easy when I drilled my Ridgid MSUV to accept my miter saw.

The recip is awesome, and the circular is cool, I just wish it was a 7 1/4--for depth of cut reasons.

The battery/power dynamic is the coolest part. There is no loss of power when the battery is on its last legs. The batteries charge in about 35 minutes, and the battery level is actually cool because I use them so much, I actually have an idea how much life is left.

My drill is lighter than some 18v drills, like my buddies bosch.

I have no complaints, as of yet, and I have used the heck out of em.

Comment

Superior battery chemistry isn't that what Dell was claiming before all their laptops exploded? The yellow guys spout so much crap they actually start believing it. If their mix is so much better why is the temperature tolerence the same as a nicad battery printed on the manual? And why do you have to let it sit on a charger for 8 hours once a week to set the cells or something just like a nicad battery in the manual also?

The fuel guage is attached to an embedded computer chip that helps to monitor each individual cell allowing for proper charge and discharge also it keeps track of all charge cycles. The best thing though is that the chargers will actually cool or heat up the batteries to get them to optimum charging temp. I agree about the fine print though wish that would change or make more sense. However one thing the yellow guys can't say anything about is that you can reuse you old Milwaukee batteries instead of having to buy a new system and start all over. Black and Decker seems to like making their customers do that alot considering they just changed their B&D lines and batteries so why not with their yellow/black B&D line too. Also with ridgid you get free replacement batteries you can't beat that with a stick.

Cheeky have you used the impact driver or portaband yet. They are incredible. I have to say that Sawzall is unbelievable it has a great handle and the grip is amazing. I have used the others including the yellow it is ok at best. But when I have real work to do give me the V28 or any Sawzall for that matter.

Anytime Donutboy hope you keep posting this is really good forum with really great people that know alot and of course there are some trolls but you get them everywhere.
            Last edited by RedBaron; 09-13-2006, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Red,

I don't own the impact driver, as I haven't seemed to have a use for one yet. I've been able to get by with the V28 drill.

maybe, when i build the new deck, i can justify the expenditure

i take it you love yours

Comment

I can dream of having one I am actually refering to the impact wrench not the driver although I would love to have an impact driver too. I was able to try them out at a demo tent HD had this weekend. And they are incredible the impact wrench is insane but so powerful it would not be practical to have around the house unless i need to change lug nuts on a truck. Howver it was alot of fun to play with.

Comment

Just a little side story... I haven't had much use for my 14.4 impact driver yet, but have used the 14.4 drill/driver quite a lot. Well, this past weekend, I decided to put together some steel shelving for use in the garage and it would give me an opportunity to try out the impact driver. I figured it would surely beat using the manual ratchet to run all those nuts up onto the bolts.

Well, the instructions were very poor and the illustration even worse. So, the first pieces to put together were the 2-piece angles used at vertical supports/legs.

Oops, that first one I overlapped too much (too busy talking to the neighbor's son). Oh well, just a minute while I loosen the two nuts....

Well, the bolts were Phillips head with hex nuts. The impact driver sure was slick putting them together... ziiiip & ziiiip. But there was no way I could get a solid bite on those Phillips heads in order to let the impact driver do its thing. Man, those nuts were, like welded into place.

After some, under my breath, grumbling (the neighbors son is only seven), I got the 14.4 drill and drilled out the heads in order to get the two pieces separated.

All in all, it worked out. I learned first hand what a terrific little tool that impact driver is (and learned not to use it on anything that I may want to take apart...unless it has hex head bolts). I also made a brand new friend (and maybe future project partner), as the young chap helped me put the whole thing together with a regular ratchet. (I think he now wants one for himself).

The impact driver is impressive,

CWS

Comment

You are exactly right I have learned the hard way to that an impact driver is too much for flat or phillips head screws unless you run it very slowly. It is way to much torque for those screwheads that's why you really should only use them for hex, torx or square head screws. With those you can run full speed no problem. And the driver will run them without twisting your wrist either which is a huge plus.

Comment

RedBaron,

I didn't use the impact driver on the Phillips head, I held the head in place with a screw driver and ran the nut up with the impact driver. Problem was, it tightened it to such an extent, that I couldn't back the nut off. That's where the Phillips head failed. I tried holding the Phillips head with a screwdriver and using a hand wrench to loosen the nut, but the torque was such that I simply couldn't hold the head in place.

Good lesson for sure, but I was impressed with the impact driver's ability to tighten the nut to such an extent.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by RedBaron
                        You are exactly right I have learned the hard way to that an impact driver is too much for flat or phillips head screws unless you run it very slowly. It is way to much torque for those screwheads that's why you really should only use them for hex, torx or square head screws. With those you can run full speed no problem. And the driver will run them without twisting your wrist either which is a huge plus.
                        I love my impact driver for driving phillips screws. Maybe yours is too powerful. I have the Crafstman 19.2 volt, it puts out 950 inch pounds. The battery makes it a little heavy, but it's my favorite driver.

Comment

Working...
                        X