X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid R1000 Grinder

Was there a problem with this grinder? My hd has them clearanced for 50% off.

I can get the ridgid 4 1/2 inch for $55 (from $89) or I can get the Milwaukee on clearance for $79 (from $99)

I was also looking at the Makita 4 inch regular priced at $48 with 5 free grinding pads.

I am re finishing old cast iron stadium chairs from cleveland browns stadium.

Anyone have any good ideas to remove about 4 layers of lead based paint and 80 years of rust?

I tried a stripper from HD, but that didnt do a thing after being soaked for 48 hours. My original idea was to sandblast it, but since there is lead paint, the guy who has the sandblaster, said I would have to completely replace the sand for him (which is about $40). I am thinking a grinder may be my best bet since it would cost about the same as the new sand, and I could keep the grinder. (which i may or may not ever need again.)

opinions welcome and appreicated.

go to advance auto parts and get "mar hyde" paint striper it in in a spary can and works wonders and works in less than 20 minutes in most cases
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I agee on removing the paint, use a good brand of stripper, and not a grinder, wire brush or other abrasive. The lead dust will be a real detriment, requiring proper filter/resparator and taking care not to contaminate your house or yard with the lead paint dust.

As don't recall seeing any negative comments about the Ridgid Angle Grinder, but then again, I don't recall seeing any post regarding it's positive aspects either. Bottom line, IMO, is that it just wasn't a big seller and if so, Home Depot would be looking to clear it off the shelves to make room for other products.

HD does this very often, especially in the fall. It affords many of us to pick up some pretty decent tools at an unbelievable savings. Last year I picked up the Ridgid 14.4 Drill/Driver Combo and the Ridgid Carpenter's Combo (10 CMS and Straight Finish Nailer), for less than just one of the tools would have cost. So, even if you don't need the Angle Grinder, keep your eye out for other bargains.

CWS

Comment

The Ridgid for $55 is an excellent deal from everything I was able to ascertain about it when I was in the market. It is being discontinued because Ridgid has severed its relationship with Metabo which the Ridgid is a clone of.

Woodslayer

Comment

Can I use "Mar Hyde" on the wood slats also? I will pick a can of the stuff up, worth a shot.

Comment

yes there are diraction on the can for the wood though if i remember it is like $ 12-15 a can but it does work on all sorts of paints please if you can post before and after shots i am sure there are alot of users here that would be interrested in your project
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

I will post pictures for all

Comment

The makita is the better grinder out of all of the ones mentioned.just my 1 cent worth.
                A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

I have to say in the past 3 years the metabo has slipped and started to skimp on quality and the makita has gained ground and has surpassed them in the grinding area.
                  A fishing pole is the best cordless tool!

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the Bosch 4 1/2 inch with a free diamond wheel from HD. I dont know how it will end up working out for me, but its been a while since I got my last tool (Ridgid 18v planer) so i think it was time.

I have already started to look for a new router. In a couple months I will just have to have one.

I am more of a wwer, dont do much of anything with steel and the closest i have come to welding is a little bit of solder, which is to say not very close.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the Bosch 4 1/2 inch with a free diamond wheel from HD. I dont know how it will end up working out for me, but its been a while since I got my last tool (Ridgid 18v planer) so i think it was time.

I have already started to look for a new router. In a couple months I will just have to have one.

I am more of a wwer, dont do much of anything with steel and the closest i have come to welding is a little bit of solder, which is to say not very close.

Comment

Working...
                      X