cleaning saw blades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning saw blades

how do you clean TS and MS blades? I have some build up on mine and need to clean 'em!

I use CMT Formula 2050 but I have heard simple green work well too

Comment

I use Easy-Off oven cleaner, a small brass brush, and wash it off with warm water. This works like a charm - completely removes resin and pitch and it only costs $4 vs. $20 for "special" saw cleaners.

Comment

I've tried several different methods and all have seemed to work well. Of those methods, oven cleaner is by far the messiest. My favorite is the LA's Totally Awesome (as seen on TV ) Costs $1....if it was $5, I'd still think it works best.

- 409 (w/brass brush)
        - Simple Green (w/brass brush)
        - Goo Gone (w/brass brush)
        - LA's Totally Awesome (w/brass brush)
        - Dawn and warm water (w/brass brush)
        - Boeshield BladesnBits (w/brass brush)
        - Oven Cleaner (w/brass brush)

-

Comment

Any of the methods hewood mentioned would be fine except for the oven cleaner. Nasty stuff, not very environmentally friendly and could possibly weaken the brazing that hold the tips on the blade.

I find it best not to wait until the pitch is caked on the blade before I clean mine. By cleaning them often, I don't have to use a brass brush to get them to come clean. I use one of those row boat shaped bathtub cleaning brushes with a handle on it. I spray a little Simple Green on the blade, let it sit for a minute then scrub with the brush. Takes me less than 3 minutes to clean both sides.
          ================================================== ====
          ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Is "simple green" available at home depot? I assume its a cleaning agent.

Comment

I've seen it at Home Depot, automotive supply stores, grocery stores, and hardware stores. http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_buy.php
              ================================================== ====
              ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Working...
              X