Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee Tool Talk

Welcome

It's great to find some of the old regulars from the Milwaukee HD Club are over here now.
    Last edited by AllanToolGuy; 11-03-2006, 06:55 PM.

Hey this is cool! I used to be on the Milwaukee Tool Talk forum under the same name as here.

Is there anyone else on this board that used to be on that forum? I miss you guys! I miss all of us getting together to talk about our tool feelings.

Comment

Milwaukee Tool Talk went to the dogs!!!!!

Originally posted by Sceeter W Wheels View Post
      Hey this is cool! I used to be on the Milwaukee Tool Talk forum under the same name as here.

Is there anyone else on this board that used to be on that forum? I miss you guys! I miss all of us getting together to talk about our tool feelings.
      I useds to be on tool talk;Milwaukee never edited anything and let it run wild-then TTI put it in the crapper,they do not even accept tool testimonials anymore!!!!!!
      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

I used to be on Tool talk until it shut down. I was on for about 4 monthes off an on. It's a shame they closed it down. They said they were going to re-open it but obviously that hasn't come about. BS the way I see it. We also haven't had a heavy duty club newsletter for quite a while either. Something is up.

Comment

Tool Talkers

Hey guys,
          I was on Milwaukee's forum too. Used same logon as here, Jim Don. Bought a bunch of Milwaukee items based on info gleaned from people talking about what they did and did not like about certain Milwaukee Electric tools. Buy them now when they're still the ones that were made in USA. I imagine we'll start seeing the Chinese junk start rolling in soon, if it hasn't already.
          Jim Don

Comment

Steel = C-AP

Hey Allan,
            Part of my reluctance with Chinese made stuff dates back to earlier this decade when Big Blue, the crane building Milwaukee County Stadium collapsed and killed 3 ironworkers in Milwaukee. Long story short, the next load of replacement steel they brought in to rebuild was from CHINA. They check the steel and it was all C-AP. Didn't make the inspection. Says a lot for what kind of "quality" is being turned out over there with their slave labor. They then had to wait and re-order all AMERICAN MADE, USA STEEL to rebuild. Yes, boys and girls, American made products and materials, are for the most part better than what is obtained from other parts of the world. Because of standards, inspections, controls, and good, old American ingenuity and dedication to GOOD PRODUCTS. Allan, that was my only point about buying what you can now of USA made Milwaukee. Get the good stuff while you can, and if you can. And I do agree with everything else you said, I just wanted to clarify my reasoning and beliefs. For what it's worth.
            Jim Don

PS. Now, not that I'd ever do anything like that, but if you lived in a government run country, that told you how to live, how many kids to have, forced you to make products and goods at slave labor wages, and really didn't care about you. How good of a worker would all you good ole American boys and girls be? I bet with our inherent rebel heartbeats that throb in the chest of most of us Americans, that there'd be some sabotage going on in the factories as a reply to government control. Now, HMMM, do you think that might have crossed the minds of all those Chinese industrial workers over there too? Just a thought!

Comment

Their whole website hasn't been updated in a long long time. Well they stuck the V18 ad on there and the new catalog, that's about it.

The V18 drill, for instance, is really just a Ridgid drill with a red housing. It's virtually the same design as Ridgid's.

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
              I used to be on Tool talk until it shut down. I was on for about 4 monthes off an on. It's a shame they closed it down. They said they were going to re-open it but obviously that hasn't come about. BS the way I see it. We also haven't had a heavy duty club newsletter for quite a while either. Something is up.

Comment

Man, Milwaukee got the s**t end of the deal because they were owned and then sold by Atlas Copco right? Remember how it was all like "TTI is going to to leave Milwaukee alone and do what they do best designing heavy duty tools". Well that only lasted a few months..

really, do you think V28's getting it's a$$ kicked? do you think they released it too soon instead of trying to go for 36V or something else?

Comment

I see where you're coming from, but you can't continually keep upping the current draw from the 18V batteries because there is a limit to how much current (and therefore wattage) they can put out, and this is the limiting point for 18V power. Yes, theoretically if you double the current draw, you could get "36V power", but the cells can't do it, not to mention overheating. Plus the more cells, the more runtime, so if you draw too much current from the 18V, the run time would be useless anyway.

The more cells you have in the battery, the more power you can put out (at a given current draw) and the more runtime you'll have (at that same current draw).

Comment

I bought the Milwaukee V28 set about 4 months ago and have used it almost daily. I like them and I've had no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by AllanToolGuy
                      Bosch 36 Volt Li-Ion tools are making the Milwaukee V28 tools run for the dog house with their tail hung low. V28 got @$$ kicked hard. Home Depot has V28 on special trying to rid of them so they can make room for something else.

I need to add that DeWalt is also kicking the V28 tools hard. This is not about Voltage but rather about tools that get work done and the V28 tools have had way too many problems. I'm sure the V18 are made for a price too and not the quality we came to expect from Milwaukee.
                      Amazon sells many more tools than HD and Lowes combined, and the V28 is way ahead of any other Li tool. The V28 is doing very well.

the V28 drill ranks #302
                      the v28 combo kit ranks #82
                      dewalt 36V combo kit ranks #4801
                      dewalt 36V drill ranks #2268 on there tool sales list
                      makita lags behind too

Comment

Okay, yes you could have more cells for more capacity and power, but that's no good for hand-held protable tools like a drill because you're now back to adding weight. But from the bench tool standpoint, sure like a cordless tablesaw would be cool. But I'm sure that's far down the road at this point. Maybe something you could plug 3 or 4 battery packs into to up the run time.

As far as Milwaukee's higher amp-hour ratings..whatever. It comes down to this: the watt-hours of each single cell combined with the total number of cells in the pack...that's what give you the runtime. Milwaukee or DeWalt can tell you aH this and that, but that's only half the story. As far as maximum power, that depends on how much current the cells can put out safely..combined with the number of cells. These specs will never be free of marketing bulls**t unfortunately.

Either way, I'm don't know whether Milwaukee runs longer or harder than DeWalt or Bosch. Like you say, it's what the tools do in your hands that counts. I don't have a V28 set to compare so I personally don't know.

now I will say that I've heard some bad things about V28. Ron Ruiz I remember (from MET Tool Talk) tore the V28 drill a new a**hole in his reviews saying that he burnt out a couple of motors and that the "corded power" is hype. Okay sure that's his experience, but here and there you here some bad things...but that's probably because the set has been out on the market way longer than Bosch or DeWalt, so the long term feedback starts to come in.

Originally posted by AllanToolGuy
                        Sceeter

True, but have you ever thought of using larger cells or connecting them in both series (as they do now) and also in parallel if needed? That would be more for cordless benchtop tools than the hand held ones. By the way the Milwaukee V28 has higher capacity cells than most other Li-Ion battery packs. I would like to see some serious testing run of Bosch, DeWalt and Milwaukee. Besides tests to see which one works hardest and fastest, there needs to be testing where they are run hard and long. That's the way to see how they hold up or don't.

I'm not wanting to cut down the V28 series but if they had done more field tests and de-bugging before they came out, I feel sure there would have been far less returns and/or warrenty repairs. The problem and this is with all companies is their cost to produce a given item. (Please keep in mind the high markups by distributors, dealers and the like before we buy them) Would we be willing to pay lots more for a really great tool, or do we set spending limits? The sad part is that few people ever figure out the true cost of ownership of over time. Let's say that brand A costs twice that of B but that it holds up better and does better work. Which one will most of us tool men want and actually buy?

As for the Ridgid 24 Volt Li-Ion, I think that unless they have some serious design or engineering defects (then just may) that the DIYer and pros for that matter should be happy with them. This is even more so with the price reduction at HD which makes me wonder if there has been some quality cuts we have yet to find out about.

Note to myself: STOP POSTING and let this forum rest from your constant PLPLPLPLPL
                        Last edited by Sceeter W Wheels; 11-02-2006, 11:29 PM.

Comment

Yeah I've noticed that too on amazon. V28's had a good head start in the market over the other Li tools, so Milwaukee did have the advantage of being first on the scene. Plus they're quite a bit cheaper in price.

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post
                          Amazon sells many more tools than HD and Lowes combined, and the V28 is way ahead of any other Li tool. The V28 is doing very well.

the V28 drill ranks #302
                          the v28 combo kit ranks #82
                          dewalt 36V combo kit ranks #4801
                          dewalt 36V drill ranks #2268 on there tool sales list
                          makita lags behind too

Comment

It's going to take a long time to convince a die-hard carpenter to ditch his favourite corded saw in favour of a 36 volt saw. Trust me, I've talked to a few carpenters on job sites and they don't believe it when I tell them of the claims, or they always have some ho-hum about a particular aspect. Some even own 18 volt circ saws from Dewalt/Milwaukee/Bosch, etc, and they say these cordless tools can't do it (the main one is they can't "rip"), and they are left with this impression that cordless tools in general can no where near match their corded versions. On the other than the V28's, while there is a hint of trying to incite some corded tool buyers to buy, and some have according to the tool testionials, seem to be taking more of an aim at the traditional 18 volt too owners in giving them more power and run time to do jobs. As 18 volt tool buyers buy V28's, and bring them to jobsites, and show them to diehard carpenters and other tradesman who are non-beleivers that's when you may get guys converting. Remember that the best marketing on job sites comes from word of mouth. Guys who buy quality buy Milwaukee because their Dad had a MIlwaukee sawzall or Hole hawg (house hold names) that lasted 20 years without issue and that still won't die.
                            I don't think Milwaukee is outgunned at all in their V28's.

Hell I had been looking at 18 volt sets for years, and when the V28's came out, I was going to buy them. But then I heard a rumour here, a rumour there about various other manufacturers coimng out with the same lithium ion tools, and I waited and saw what was presented. I saw the DeWalt 36 Volt tools, I saw the Makita's, I saw the Ridgids, and I still set my eyes on the 28 volts for a few of the reasons I outlined in a previous post.

Comment

Working...
                            X