Bandsaw Vibration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw Vibration

Just how much vibration is normal for a 1402 BS? I read the Wood magazine article and did the mods. I put a 3/4 piece of plywood between the saw and table and in addition installed a 3/4 inch plywood shelf on the frame. I did keep the original belt though. I installed a 3/8 Craftsman blade. You can run your fingers over the weld and over the back and it is as smooth as the rest of the blade, no bumps or uneven area. My question is after all this, I still have some vibration. You can see the table shake somewhat and that bothers me. What else can I do? Ron

Change the belt to a link belt, that should cure most of the vibration. Craftsman is not really known for quality bandsaw blades, try a timberwolf

Comment

I setup my saw per the manual and with the stock blade it passed the nickel test. I have since put on urethane tires and a better blade. I have no vibration that is noticable.
      Are the feet nice and flat on the floor? Did you tune the saw per the manual or some other guide so as not to miss any potential adjustment issues?
      My only complaint is it is underpowered, but aside from that it should run fine.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

I set it up exactly like the owners manual says. The feet are on level and the saw is rock solid. I am thinking more of an out of balance wheel.
        I didn't think the Craftsman blade was good either untile I compared to the Timberwolf. Just as smooth. Other than that, what is the advantage of the 27.00 Timberwolf?
        But, do you still have any vibration? After all the mods, will there still be vibration?

Comment

Does it still vibrate with the blade off? With the drive belt off?
          The advantage of the timberwolf will likely be very evident when you try to resaw. I find they cut very true with little to no wander and a very quick and clean cut.
          Give the bottom wheel with a good spin with nothing connected then try the top wheel, does it vibrate?

Comment

I don't do any resawing, so the Craftsman will be just fine. When I have the blade off and jsut run the bottom wheel, no vibration. I think it is the out of balance wheel (this is the second wheel I have tried from Ridgid) ,but find it strange that 2 wheels can be bad. The first wheel would always stop on the same spot, so I knew it was out of balance. The second wheel stops at different points but vibrates like when the first wheel was on. I am going to call Ridgid in hte morning to have them send another one.

Comment

It may be bad tires, any chance you have something that can spin the upper wheel at about 700 RPM (no load speed is 737 rpm) by itself?
              A 6" rubber sanding pad (the type meant for a drill) attached to a drill running at 1600 rpm would get you 685 rpm, plenty to see if it is the upper wheel that is out of balance. You just hold the pad on the edge of the wheel and bring the drill up to speed

Comment

Working...
              X