X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unifence, Biesemeyer, or Other?

This might be a stupid newbie question, but what do you guys think about my fence options?

I bought a not-bad 1975 unisaw at a state auction for $40, and I'm in the middle of fixing it up. The original fence and rails are still there, but they're a little shabby, and the locking mechanism needs some minor repairs.

Should I fix it, or replace it with something bigger & better? I'd like to be able to whack a sheet of plywood in half, even though I'd probably only need to do that once a year.

Welcome to the forum ralphtheplumber . Both the plumbing and woodworking groups will look forward to your adventures. I'm sorta new to woodworking and this forum, but one of the things I always do is try to get the manual and go thru setup to see if what I have is useable, plus check to see if the belts are in good shape, listen to bearings and the motor, and check my squares, i.e. blade to table and fence, and fence to table.

Comment

Thanks, Hector.

I'm supposed to have a manual & parts list on the way. The belts look original, but the bearings aren't loose and everything moves freely.

Everything except the fence, that is..

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the Delta Unifence is manufactured for Delta by Biesemeyer as both have the same parent company. I doubt if you'd be disappointed with either one.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

That makes sense. It seems like I read somewhere that Delta bought Biesemeyer a few years back..

So is one of them any better than the other? They're about the same price..

Comment

Thanks, Al.

I had another screwball idea to bounce off you guys..

What do you think about just getting some longer rails for the existing fence? I can get a couple 8' pieces of 1-3/8" tubing pretty cheap. They wouldn't have the scale stamped into them, but I can get a sticky tape if it's really an issue. As long as I get them square and parallel, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Comment

IMO, you're asking for a headache. In order to ensure that the rails will be square and parallel the stock you start out with will have to be flat and true. Unless the supplier can guarantee that, you may run into trouble. Just my $.02 worth.

Comment

Thanks, Dave.

I'm really more worried about my ability to attach it squarely than I am about the stock being straight & true. The tolerance on the good tubing is about two sheets of paper in 10'.

I don't know. It was just something I thought I'd throw out there as an option. I don't want to spend a bunch of time and money re-engineering this one if I can get something a lot better for a little more $.

You guys know a lot more about this than I do..

Comment

Thanks, Al. I've already been drooling all over that site.

Anybody got a review of the Unifence?

And as long as i'm typing.. is it just my imagination, or have some posts disappeared from this thread?

Comment

Not only this thread but a few others as well. One way to take back what you've written in a thread is to go back after you have posted it and delete the entire response(post).

EDIT: This one is a little old but here is a review I found comparing both the Bies and the Unifence.
                    Last edited by BadgerDave; 10-05-2006, 01:00 PM.

Comment

I think we have a winner. Thanks, everybody.

The Biesemeyer fence is more solid. The rails are stronger. The fence is heavier and stronger. It is bullet proof! It also has the double faced fence. The reason I chose the Biesemeyer fence over the Unifence the second time round was for it's strength and durability. I was always a little worried that I would dent, ding or scratch the aluminum fence or rail on the Unifence.

Comment

Originally posted by ralphtheplumber
                        I think we have a winner. Thanks, everybody.
                        Originally posted by ralphtheplumber
                        That makes sense. It seems like I read somewhere that Delta bought Biesemeyer a few years back..

So is one of them any better than the other? They're about the same price..
                        Both have happy loyal fans, and both are capable. They have different strengths. The quote above pretty well desribes the merits of the Biese....you just need to decide which attributes are for you. FWIW, the Biese is more highly copied and is more popular...enough so, that it occasionally gets a premium over the Unifence.

Comment

Working...
                        X