Upgrading worklight to LED....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading worklight to LED....

I was wondering if anyone has upgraded the work light to an LED bulb. If so, what voltage bulb would I need?

Ive found a bunch of flashlight-type LED bulbs that would fit, but nothing is 18V (of course). I dont know how low the light steps the voltage down to (6V or 12V Im assuming). I suppose I can check with a multimeter but Im not at home right now

Thanks!
    -Chris

The bulb is actually 18V in the light. You would need to use a voltage regulator to drop the 18V down to the LED bulb voltage. All the LED lights I have run on 1.5 volts including a 19 LED light that runs on 3 AAA batteries. The batteries are configured in parallel to provide more current at 1.5 volts.

Comment

Ive found 12V LEDs, I wonder if it would be worth it to get a 12V Ridgid battery to use for the worklight only, then get a 12V LED array in place of the stock 18V bulb.

-Chris

Comment

Don't know if the battery would fit, I have a 14.4 impact and the 14.4 will not fit on the light. The other thing to consider is the friend factor, buddy thinks he is being helpful by changing batteries and puts the 18V on cause it says 18V on the light.

Comment

Actually, it looks like white LEDs represent a 3.6V drop per LED. 5x3.6 = exactly 18V, so technically a 5 LED array of white LEDs will be a perfect match for the 18V. Assuming all of the voltage regulation circuitry is built into the worklight already, all you need to do is build the 5 LED array to fit into the existing bulb socket.

I read in the manual that the current it draws is 65ma, LEDs are suggested to run around 20-25ma, so I dont know if that makes a difference (the LEDs would need to be run in series, Im not sure if that adds the current ratings together, or if the overall current would be the same as one LED. either way, 5x25 = 100ma, not much more than the current 65ma draw).

-Chris
          Last edited by chrisexv6; 10-02-2006, 12:45 PM.

Comment

I havent really even used it much, but Ive always wanted an LED worklight (figuring they would be a ton brighter than just a regular bulb). Honestly I only had the worklight on with a 1/4 charged battery, so I havent seen it at its full brightness yet.

I guess I should try working with it first just too easily persuaded by my brain to come up with new projects (prevents cabin fever in the winter when Im stuck inside watching the snow).

-Chris

Comment

LEDs come in different voltage requirements.
              When tied in series the current flowing through each LED remains the same as the single rating. When tied in parallel the current rating adds for each bulb added. Either way the draw is negligible compared to the draw of the other tools that use the same battery.

Comment

Wow, I haven’t stopped by this forum for sometime, but this is a kwinkydink because a few weeks ago I went through my 2 bulbs and just started looking into how to mod the light to accept LEDs.

My search lead me to http://www.luxeonstar.com/ they seem to have some of the best LEDs on the market. A good feature is that some of their leds have a built in heat sink.

Sadly I don’t know how to figure out the specifics, but I would think that a few of them in series would work.

Comment

Working...
                X