X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 - Loose Drive Belt

After working on one of the $99 tablesaws for as long as I could stand, I graduated up to the TS3650. It's an awesome saw and I absolutely love it (platonic of course), but have run into a problem with it. This may happen to any saws that are belt driven, I am not a professional, so I really dont know.

After about three months of use, the belt on my TS3650 has become loose. When the blade is not raised above 2" or so, it starts slipping when making cuts. The lower the blade, the easier it slips.

Is this a common problem? Are there adjustments I could make to prevent this? After using the saw, I have always left the blade height wherever it was set to cut, should I always lower the blade after use?

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by magoo2003; 10-06-2006, 08:42 AM.

I usually don't lower my blade after each use.

Probably would be a good idea to dig out your Owners Manual and redo the steps for mounting the motor and the belt. It sounds like something has been knocked out of alignment.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would check and see if your motor slipped and is no longer pulling tight on the belt. As BD said, check the manual for setting up the motor and ensure it is properly tightened and the bolts are tight.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

Comment

The plate the motor mounts to should freely pivot the full length of the curved slot. Sounds like something is causing it to drag or hang up. To check it, remove the belt and lift it up and down by hand. There should be a spring on the forward side of the motor plate (on the same side as the slotted ear) that pushes it out with several pounds of force so you get the same tension whether the motor is all the way up or all the way down. From your description, I doubt the spring is the problem because it adds tension to offset loss of motor weight as it pivots up. In your case, the loss of tension is when the motor pivots down. Sounds like something is interfering with the motor pivoting down: Gunk in the slot or on the shoulder bolt in the slot; Wrong type bolt in the slot which is tight against the mount plate; Corroded/gunked-up bottom pivot pin: or Something rubbing against or hitting the motor the motor not letting it go fully down. If you are using a separate bench/saw horse/table etc to catch your outfeed, make sure the motor isn't hitting it when you lower (or bevel) the blade DAMHIKT!. If you have added something to the cabinet to help catch dust, make sure it isn't interfering with the motor or belts as the motor pivots.
        I always lower the blade when I'm done using it. If nothing else, it helps keep the sawdust from gumming up the threads on the jackscrew. I also vacuum off around the motor, as I have seen some major build-up of saw dust/chips occasionally (especially when cutting fresh treated lumber. The moisture + the pine sap can make the debris very sticky, so it just stays glued to where it hits unless you hit it with a strong vac or brush.)

Hope this helps

Go

PS, The manual with mine was incorrect on setting the belt tension. In step 6 it says to lift motor up until the edge of the washer is even with the end of the slot. On mine,the slot was cut too long, so the motor mount bolts end up pressed tight against the in-out slide bracket when the blade is all the way up. I had to set mine with about 1/4" between the washer edge and end of the slot. After adjusting, make sure you can still pivot the motor by squeezing the belt with the blade in full up position.
        Last edited by Gofor; 10-06-2006, 08:01 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I had the same problem with my saw.
          Here was the fix from Ridgid.

RIDGID Response: (09/15/2005 01:42)
          Barry:

Improper belt tension at that blade height. I experienced what i believe is the same thing with a saw I set up a couple of years ago.

Normally, we recommend the customer go back to start, and go through the motor installation and belt tensioning sections, which resolves the problem.

Try this, elevate the blade so it is about 1" high coming out of the table. Go around (stand) behind the saw and look at the motor mounting bracket. The spring loaded plate that attaches to the motor has an elongated slot in it on the right side and a guide screw goes through it into the other plate attached to the slide rods and bracket. Check to see how much space is between the guide screw and the end of the elongated slot (the end of the slot that is away from the motor). There should be around 3/4" to 1/2". If there is not, loosen the two screws that secure the bracket with the slide rods, pull outward until the spring loaded plate cause the distance to be at or around 3/4" to 1/2", tighten the screws for the slide rods back down. It should be adequatley tensioned, try the saw.

If not, go back over the motor installation and belt tension steps in the manual.

Best regards,

Tom C.
          Consumer Response
          One World Technologies, Inc.

Hope this info is useful to others.

Comment

It was indeed a simple adjustment needed to tension the belt back up. Pretty much as swampyankee's post describes. I am guessing the belt was just getting "broke in" from when I originally assembled the saw and needed a bit of tightning?

My apologies for taking so long to reply & thanks to all for the good advice.

Comment

Working...
            X