X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid BS14002-HD DAMAGE!???

I bought the Ridgid band saw the other night the box had what looked like a little damage but didnt look bad, until I opened it up after putting my new Ridgid Jointer together.
    The styrofoam was broken into 20 or so pieces .
    I started unpacking it looking for damage once I saw the stands legs were bent and the paint on them peeling off I repacked it back into the box and hauled it back to a HD that had originally Refused to honor there 10% off online purchases price and exchanged it there.
    This box also showed signs of being mishandled, but less that the last one, was up on a top shelf on a pallet of 3 they took them down took the top one off so I thought to myself ok thats cool it was on top of the pallet wrapped in the shipping plastic wrap around the whole pallet, and the top band saw was protected by the two underneath it , (so I thought) I get it home open it up the top styrofoam was in tact this time and the legs looked to be fine . I start unpacking it then remove the top layer of styrofoam and the bottom one is broken up ,not as bad but still cracked up in a few places , I didnt see any damages to the parts so I put the stand together. Pull out the saw itself , and see one of the thumb screws is bent at a 45 degree angle,(one that will be under the cast iron table) should I pack it all up and return it or just bend the thumb screw back to straight? Or do you think this obvious hit it took to the lower part of the saw will effect its operation, and just return it AGAIN?
    Just that one thumb screw looks bent on the lower blade guide , That assembly has 2 bolts that attach it to the casting. should I go ahead and assemble it and hope its only the thumb screw ? If youve read my other posts you'll know I got a bum arm and this loading and unloading it and hauling it back and forth kills my arm.

This is what I would do. Call Ridgid and have them send you a new thumb screw(I have called about damaged parts from shipping and they always send them out free of charge with no hassle). Also swap out the bent thumb screw with one from the upper blade guide so when new one comes it will be easy to replace.
    SSG, U.S. Army
    Retired
    K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Hi Tod,
      So do you think it will be OK and track right? , This is my first ever band saw always just used a jigsaw, from what I can tell it looks to be just the thumb screw got knocked a bit, but the whole botton assembly does just bolt onto the cast part with 2 bolts would they send that assembly or tell me to return it to HD?

Comment

With out seeing it it is hard to tell. But I would guess the thumb screw is the only part you would need.
        SSG, U.S. Army
        Retired
        K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Thanks Tod, for the fast reply i'll go on ahead and keep assembling it then , just didnt want to put all the time into assembly to find out the whole thing was out of whack , once i'm actualy cutting something .
          Thanks again for your time and effort Sir.

Comment

ok I've got a question on this band saw, I installed the cast iron table , is there adjustmemts to move it over some, the blade is riding hard against the insert not centered, i've been at my parents house helping my mom out but now was looking at it and I loosend some bolts but didnt get any movement , looks like if your standing in front of the saw youd have to push the table back to center it in the insert slot if run it'll chew up the inserts side. I know its just a plastic insert but shouldnt it sit centered?And not chew up the insert?

Comment

Hi Allan,
              I dont think so, as the insert hole in the casting has a stub so the insert fits one way . I'll reread my manual , its not set up fully yet I havent even plugged it in yet I was putting it together than had to run out a few hours , I noticed the blade riding the inserts edge than thought I could just loosen some of the bolts and move it centered into the slot but no movement there , thought id ask here about if it's outta whack. I'll have to return it but I wont get a third one i'll purchase another brand .I can buy a Craftsman,Jet, or Delta locally.As I already returned another one that was damaged. so this would be the 3rd one, i'm loosing confidence in Ridgid already and I havent even fired up the Ridgid Jointer or the Band saw. Oh it is the BS 14002 Model. and Thanks for the help .
              Last edited by American and Proud; 10-08-2006, 06:58 PM.

Comment

I have the Bs 1400-2. The insert will go in 2 ways, the correct way is with the open side to the back of the band. Also make sure the band is tracking on the center of the wheels.
                SSG, U.S. Army
                Retired
                K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

Private message sent.
                  SSG, U.S. Army
                  Retired
                  K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

That problem Fixed ,Thanks.

OK after talking to Tod, we figured out the lil lower saftey guard was also bent along with the thumb screw in earlier post. Bent it back blade is now clearing the insert side .
                    Thanks Tod and was nice talking to you .
                    Also Thanks to others who helped .
                    Now i'll get on with all the proper adjustments and tighten everything all down , didnt want to continue if i had a bad saw . Hopefully once fully together and alighned i'll feel better about my Ridgid purchases.

Comment

Working...
                    X