Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was Your Worst Power Tool You Ever Owned??????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oldslowchevy
    crapsman
    "twin cutter"
    i'll second and third that

rick.
    phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=BigThom]Makita:s

mini cordless circular saw. When new the battery would die after a 6" cut in 1/2" masonite. Used it once then tossed it.

i thought it would work good for a plunge cut in cabinets to clearance for pipes. wrong, too slow rpm and it would kick.

reciprocating saw (sawzall type). collar broke on first use. Used it once then gave it away and bought a real tool.

both the cordless mini and electric are junk. but back in the day they were the only co. that a had a decent cordless selection. the corded one is the one i would now take under a flooded house and leave it there when finished.

now for the big shocker,

the ridgid k-40 gpf snake. a $600. paper weight used it a few times and now it sits in the shop collecting dust. i would feel guilty selling it to anyone.

hate to think what the new auto spin will do. at $130. i don't think much.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

12 volt ridgid drill - batteries suck a$$

Comment

Ryobi detail sander. I actually didn't buy it but sort of permanently borrowed it. I thought it looked like a great idea until i tried it. The sanding pad doesn't actually move. The whole tool just vibrates and thats supposed to do the sanding action. Uterly worthless tool. Its easier to turn it off and manually brush it back and forth to do the sanding. I found out why the owner never asked asked for it back.

Comment

oh and i almost forgot. Dremel moto tools. FOr such an incredibly handy and useful tool they are built like trash, almost puposely disposable. All plastic and cheap. I've burnt out or ground down three dremels. I would be willing to pay over twice as much for one if they were just better made.

Comment

I'll ditto the dremel. I've gone through three as well.

You'd think I'd learn after #2

Best tool value wise. The $14 air brad/staple nailer from Harbor Freight. As long as you use name brand brads like PC its a champ. HF brand brads are too soft and jam up.

Comment

I dont know if theres a worst power tool that Ive bought, but working at Home Depot I see some crap.

This year Black and Decker came out with the automatic adjusting crescent wrench. Push a button on the side and the jaws tighten/ or loosen up. There still is a thumbscrew but Im sure people will think they can automatically adjust it and be fine, not round bolts off.

B & D also has another "clever" device for this years Christmas season. An automatically adjusting C-Clamp. Much the same and the above crescent wrench.

Now though, the marketing geniuses at B & D will begin advertising these things like crazy, maybe even get Bob Vila to promote it. Then all the (getting stereotypical here, my apoligies) women will think that it is the thing that their husband has always wanted. They will rush out to get it and be mad when we are out of them, because B&D didnt plan ahead and they are on backorder everywhere, (I wouldnt blame them for not producing enough with this chincy stuff). Then come January, the backlog will be filled and the stores will have them up to their ears, and not be able to give them away. Same thing has happened with the B&D Bullseye, the B&D autotape in previous years with Home Depot.

Im sorry, what was the original question?

Comment

Undoubtedly, the Craftsman 6.5 amp (315.17480) single-speed router that I purchases on a whim back in 1978. It was on sale as I recall and I picked it up for some future project. I put it away and after about a year or so, my Dad borrowed it and was the first to use it for some laminate trimming. He returned it after a couple of weeks saying it was a "b!tch" to use, because the collet would slip on anything heavier.

It had some nice features like handle mounted trigger, micrometer-type depth control and even a light to illuminated the cutting area. But the little 1/4-inch collet was simply nothing more that a split ring and nut that tightened down over the drilled out shaft. It wouldn't grip the bit shaft more than 1/4-inch (linear) and you simply couldn't get it tight enough to keep from slipping. I even replaced the collet assembly and the new one didn't do any better. I still have the router and it's practically like new, and maybe someday I'll find some secret to a more secure collet. But for now it's pretty worthless and a reminder to try these things out immediately so I can still return them when they don't work properly.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by Orange Apron
                    I dont know if theres a worst power tool that Ive bought, but working at Home Depot I see some crap.

This year Black and Decker came out with the automatic adjusting crescent wrench. Push a button on the side and the jaws tighten/ or loosen up. There still is a thumbscrew but Im sure people will think they can automatically adjust it and be fine, not round bolts off.

B & D also has another "clever" device for this years Christmas season. An automatically adjusting C-Clamp. Much the same and the above crescent wrench.

Now though, the marketing geniuses at B & D will begin advertising these things like crazy, maybe even get Bob Vila to promote it. Then all the (getting stereotypical here, my apoligies) women will think that it is the thing that their husband has always wanted. They will rush out to get it and be mad when we are out of them, because B&D didnt plan ahead and they are on backorder everywhere, (I wouldnt blame them for not producing enough with this chincy stuff). Then come January, the backlog will be filled and the stores will have them up to their ears, and not be able to give them away. Same thing has happened with the B&D Bullseye, the B&D autotape in previous years with Home Depot.

Im sorry, what was the original question?
                    some home depot associates think alike huh? that is the exact thing i thought when i saw that wingstack come in. I've played with the new autowrench and it is really a bad built tool. The slop in the adjustable jaw from side to side is huge. It's a worthless tool that is priced right in order to entice sales from grabbags and relatives who don't give a thought. For those who aren't in retail this won't make sense but it is for 2006 christmas what the B&D auto tape was for christmas 2005. My store will sell 1000 of them but i won't be proud of it.

Comment

RIDGID 16 Gal shop vac

Absolute mind-numbing piece of garbage. Yeah, this vac sucks, all right, just not in the way you buy a vacuum for. I've checked for blockages, replaced the filter, even opened up the blower housing, there's no visible reason it has such lousy suction. I held on to it for too long to take back to Horrid Depot so I'm dumping it for ten bucks. It was either that or use the drum for a planter. Replaced with a Craftsman that cost less and is vastly superior in every way.
                      Design is totally amateurish. You can't even pick it up without the (&^%! wheels falling off!
                      Last Ridgid electric product I ever intend to buy.

Comment

throwing it away....lol. not too bright, it has a lifetime warranty. wonder if you actually ever owned one.

Comment

Ridgid vac OK in my book!!!!!

Originally posted by jpolicke@optonline.net
                          Absolute mind-numbing piece of garbage. Yeah, this vac sucks, all right, just not in the way you buy a vacuum for. I've checked for blockages, replaced the filter, even opened up the blower housing, there's no visible reason it has such lousy suction. I held on to it for too long to take back to Horrid Depot so I'm dumping it for ten bucks. It was either that or use the drum for a planter. Replaced with a Craftsman that cost less and is vastly superior in every way.
                          Design is totally amateurish. You can't even pick it up without the (&^%! wheels falling off!
                          Last Ridgid electric product I ever intend to buy.
                          I have the 2 in 1 16600. I have replaced the switch(free from ridgid). The switch was the only maintenance!!!!I use a cleanstream filter w/ it. Mine has excellent suction. I even vacuum the mulch out of the truck bed that we cannot get w/ a shovel and it does not clog. Granted I like my WAP 840A better but the big Ridgid has not let me down!!!!!
                          You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Craftsman vacs and Ridgid vacs are quite similar as they are both made by emerson(to the best of my knowledge).
                            You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Had a router once that had all the screws loose on the inside...not a woodworking router, but a $3,000 high-end network router to use in a hosting company....You'd think these guys could use a screwdriver!!! Immediately voided the warranty and screwed the boards down properly, then called the company to let them know cr*p doesn't go.

For woodworking tools, the worst I've had so far is a Bosch powered plane. It's uncomfortable to use, unweildy, and made of rice-cake plastic. It's lost somewhere in the shop now and I don't care to find it. I've since figured out how to sharpen my hand planer blades. I'd rather use a hand plane than that thing any day!!!
                              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

in my eyes,B & D,Bosch all get praise from users,but today I saw they are not always have good performance,I think this is resulted in the OEM business in China,which they have the price down a little but has a bigger reduction in quality.
                                More and more tools are being made by China,as far as I learn a chop saw made by China-Ken will supply to Milwaukee as Grabberman told me.

But at the same time,it means the Chinese made tools quality has big improvement.In my understanding,the highest quality Chinese tools are near 80% of brand tools like Bosch,Dewalt,etc.They still have a long way to catch up with Bosch,Dewalt in quality and service.There are over 1000 companies in China who produce power tools but only few companies that have the capability to catch up with Bosch,Dewalt,the ratio would be 0.3%,China-ken is the one among them.

Christmas is coming,you guys who have good ideas of buying my new friend in MD a right gift?

By the way,I am in Shanghai,welcome any of you visit Shanghai.
                                Enclosed is the thrid highest building in Shanghai and the highest building is being built(so far 70thfloor is finished).
                                Attached Files
                                Real sweetness always comes after pain

Comment

Working...
                                X