Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important is anti-vibration in a reciprocating saw?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How important is anti-vibration in a reciprocating saw?

I was considering buying a reciprocating saw for occasional use and I wanted to know if it is important to have the anti-vibration feature?

I would either buy the R3001 ridgid which does not have anit-vibration or buy a used Milwaukee Sawzall which has the feature.

By the way has anybody tried the Ridgid model?

Regards,

i can not say about the ridgid sawzall and i have not used the milwaukee with the anti-vibration feature, i have used milwaukee sawzalls most of my working life though and to be honest i think they are the best made and you dont need that feature. reason i say this is i have never meat any one doing fine wood working with it i also don't know many folks that use this tool longer than 10-20 minutes at a time and most are cuting sill plate for doors or rebar (most of the time) so i really think it is a gimk to raise prices and atempt to sell more. i also have heard that the ridgid quick blade release has some thing that waers out and tosses the blade but since i dont own the ridgid i can not say if there is much truth behind it or not.
    9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

If it is only occasional home owner use I would use the model that is cheaper, The milwaukee uses a linear drive system incorporating a wobble plate and shaft, it runs smoother, quieter and in my opinion has more power but is suseptible to impact damage (a problem incountered by plumbers pinching the blade in pipes). The Ridgid uses a planetary drive system when damage does occur due to impacts it is costly but not as frequent. the quick lock has a tendency to get jammed mainly from saw dust or water.

Comment

I totally agree with OSC where Milwaukee Sawzall's are concerned. They are, IMO, by far the the best recip. saw money can buy. That being said, for the non professional, most of the major brands of recip. saws will satisfy their needs. This is one tool that you should be careful not to over buy on.

I have an ancient, over 30 years old, Milwaukee that I got used years ago. It shows absolutely no sign of dying but if it did I doubt if I'd buy another Milwaukee. One of the other less expensive major brands would work well for my occasional use but most importantly I don't have enough years left to warrant buying the Milwaukee.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I share the positive experience with Milwaukee, as I own the V28 sawzall. Runs remarkably smooth, and the front grip is awesome. Blade change is a snap, and the delivered power is unbelievable. I've used it about a half dozen times, for demo, installing a kitchen exhaust, fencing, and it came through like a champ.

The corded models receive high marks too, so I don't think you can go wrong.

I would avoid Craftsman recip saws if I were you, as I borrowed my brothers corded Craftsman before I was fortunate enough to get the Milw.

It bogged down, and vibrated til no tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            ... most importantly I don't have enough years left to warrant buying the Milwaukee.
            I'll hand down my 13 amp. Mill to my son.

Comment

I've always used Milwaukees and they are superb. I have a Bosch also and it's great. However I recently got a Hitachi that was too good a deal to pass up, and I am impressed with its performance. As far as anti-vibration, it's not really a deciding factor if you are not using it professionally...

Comment

When I fractured my wrist couple years back I got the sawzall w/o anti-vibration. The vibration hurt my wrist,so I tool it back and got the super sawzall w/ anti vibration. Felt alot better.
                You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
                  When I fractured my wrist couple years back I got the sawzall w/o anti-vibration. The vibration hurt my wrist,so I tool it back and got the super sawzall w/ anti vibration. Felt alot better.
                  Since you had previously injured your wrist, I just wanted to mention that you should also suit your hand/wrist up with a good set of anti-vibe gloves and/or a medical wrap for support. This might keep away the Advil after extended use of vibrating tools.

Just an idea.
                  Phil
                  Tools Rule

Comment

Can't say that I've ever used the Milwaukee with anti-vibration feature, however.....

Can't say that I've ever used the Milwaukee with anti-vibration feature, however I'm very impressed with how smooooth the Ridgid 24V reciprocating saw is. This is coming from older Ryobi and B&D models that would rattle your bones. The Ridgid seems smooooooth as silk in comparison.

Comment

Working...
                    X