X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R84001 18V Drill Clutch

After cleaning and regreasing the innards of this drill, I'm having a bit of a challenge putting the clutch assembly back together. The weirdest thing is that my gearbox had 2 dowels and a ball bearing between the ring in the gearbox and the torque spring washers. All the diagrams show only the short dowel and 1 ball bearing. I've got these 1/16 x 3/8 or so little dowels that were inside the gearbox when I opened it up. They were all standing upright on their ball bearings. But I'll be danged if that makes sense going back together. I can get it all back together and working, but without really much adjustment in the clutch. Anyone have a diagram of the gearbox? Anyone can instruct me? It would seem to make more sense to just have a longer 3/16 dowel with the ball bearing on top to ride under the slipring at the bottom of the gearbox. Thanks for any help.

I am not quite following which end you have apart, but if it is only the clutch asjustment ring, drop a ball into the hole at the front of the clutch housing followed by the clutch pin "dowel", followed by the washer then spring, the only rotational movement is internal but it needs to be a bearing. all the pins do is provide an extension that presses against the spring. Some drill co's used to use multiple balls, but that is no longer the case. If you have the transmission completely apart assemble it without the balls and pins. then turn it around and follow the directions above. Then you need to adjust the shifter ring so you have tension upon assembly. Hope this helps.

Comment

thanks Texan

I may not have tried just the short dowels and the balls like this but will give it another swag tonite. Thanks for confirming what I was thinking.

Originally posted by texan168
      I am not quite following which end you have apart, but if it is only the clutch asjustment ring, drop a ball into the hole at the front of the clutch housing followed by the clutch pin "dowel", followed by the washer then spring, the only rotational movement is internal but it needs to be a bearing. all the pins do is provide an extension that presses against the spring. Some drill co's used to use multiple balls, but that is no longer the case. If you have the transmission completely apart assemble it without the balls and pins. then turn it around and follow the directions above. Then you need to adjust the shifter ring so you have tension upon assembly. Hope this helps.

Comment

picture hasn't helped me yet

Thanks for the picture link, but this drawing shows only 2 dowels and balls and mine has 6 dowels and balls. And when I use only one short dowel and one ball, it doesn't even stick up high enough to engage the torque spring.

Comment

Working...
        X