X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Vac Attachments

I just replace my old Ridgid shop vac with the wall mount. To my dismay the hose is 1 7/8". As most of you know all of the dust ports on Ridgid tools are 2 1/2". Ridgid doesn't make anything to convert the 1 7/8" to 2 1/2". Any ideas?

Would this work?

Comment

I tried that attachment at my local HD the other day and it doesn't work. Why would Ridgid make this hose 1 7/8" and not make anything to convert it to 1 1/4" or 2 1/2"?

Comment

They probably don't make a 2-1/2" to 1-7/8" adapter for that vac because the vast majority of users wouldn't use that undersized vac for shop tool dust collection. A shop vac of that size will work just fine hooked up to a ROS and be marginally acceptable for the table saws and band saw. It will be almost useless however for the jointer and planer.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks for the info RNT.

I have the Ridgid vac 1245 and ALMOST went for the wall mounted one as it seemed so handy.

Your info definitely tells me that I will stick with the 1245 since I love the 21/2 inch hose for pick up tons of stuff. (just ordered a 20 foot hose from ridgid so I dont have to drag the vac everywhere.)

TC

Comment

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'll measure the inlet size when I get home. You guys are probably right about the wall mount being undersized. I was looking more for convenience than anything when I bought the vac. Like most of you, space is at a premium in my shop. I'll probably end up returning the thing and getting something different.

Comment

I picked up the Porter Cable 7812 when I was doing a ton of drywall work. It's pretty darn quiet, and well worth the 200 bucks. It really captures the fine dust.

came down to this one and the Fein Turbo II. The Fein is really nice, but more costly and the filters are $$$
              Last edited by CheekyMonkeyWrench; 10-24-2006, 09:49 PM.

Comment

I have two vacs:
                One is the shopvac wall mount (the cheap one, didn't know about the bulldog). The smaller diameter long (18') hose makes it convenient for hooking too my sanders, but it is LOUD. You will want a second filter if you use it for sanding because the fine dust plugs it up in no time and you'll want the second filter to change out if you're in the middle of a project.
                The second, definitely my favorite, is the 14 Gal 6 hp Ridgid. Its very quiet, super-strong and works real well as a blower, too.(Use it to blow dust and grass off the riding lawn mower so I don't have to wait for the engine to cool before hosing it down. Also makes a quick job out of dusting down the garage). I had an old Genie 10 gal vac that wasn't cuttin' it, so I removed the motor, plugged the hole for the impellor shaft with a bolt, and hook it in-line with the Ridgid as a chip collector. It works well with a small jointer/planer and TS as most of the heavy stuff falls into it, giving me a lot more capacity.
                Whatever you get, I recommend buying an extra washable filter so you can change it out quickly if you need too.

My $.02
                Go
                Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Originally posted by Gofor
                  The second, definitely my favorite, is the 14 Gal 6 hp Ridgid. Its very quiet, super-strong and works real well as a blower, too.(Use it to blow dust and grass off the riding lawn mower so I don't have to wait for the engine to cool before hosing it down. Also makes a quick job out of dusting down the garage).Go
                  I didn't even know Ridgid made vacs back when I purchased my PC. Plus they are about 15ft high on an aisle I never go down. I just checked their website and they are listed on the side, I must have glossed over it. I could've saved some cash. The one you have Gofor looks nice. The steel tank 16g looks sweet too.

Comment

The outlet woule have taken a standard hose. I thought about what a lot of you said about the capacity not being enough and I ended up taking the vac back and getting a larger model. Thanks for all of the helpful advice.

Comment

Working...
                    X