Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have 24V XLI?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone have 24V XLI?

    Just got this set, my first cordless (present). Is it all it's built up to be? Just a home do it yourselfer user.

  • #2
    Roger

    So what's your first impressions? How do like the power? Weight? Give us some details!
    Everyone thinks there problems are more important than yours!

    Comment


    • #3
      Feels like a heavy duty set of tools. I really like the cordless saw, don't know how i did without one (just finished a small project). Feels like the tools are all pretty solid, i dont think i will need to buy any for a while. A friend of mine keeps going on about his dewalt stuff, not sure how this stuff really compares. Mind you he was pretty jealous of the lithium batts in this kit (he has the 18 volt). So far so good, I like it, just thought I would get some feedback from someone else who might have a set or used them for a while. I haven't really found much else to reflect the same on these forums.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Roger Sehra View Post
        Feels like a heavy duty set of tools. I really like the cordless saw, don't know how i did without one (just finished a small project). Feels like the tools are all pretty solid, i dont think i will need to buy any for a while. A friend of mine keeps going on about his dewalt stuff, not sure how this stuff really compares. Mind you he was pretty jealous of the lithium batts in this kit (he has the 18 volt). So far so good, I like it, just thought I would get some feedback from someone else who might have a set or used them for a while. I haven't really found much else to reflect the same on these forums.

        Did you get a spare bulb with yours? The manual states that there should be an extra bulb in the flashlight, but I didn't see one in there, or in the package anywhere.

        Comment


        • #5
          no spare bulb, if you undo the cover on the light u can see there is a space for it but it's probably empty like mine.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Roger Sehra View Post
            no spare bulb, if you undo the cover on the light u can see there is a space for it but it's probably empty like mine.
            Roger-

            I think I'm going to return mine based on that. :-)

            I haven't done anything with mine yet, just charged up the batteries. I do like how the new charger fits in the bag nicely.

            I've been trying to find out what others think about their sets too. The things I don't like about it are pretty minor. Most of the tools have some pretty good changes in comparison to the older 18v set.

            Comment


            • #7
              wow, allen the tool guy really helpful aint ya! thanks for the advice. I thought these forums were to ask questions but i guess its too much to ask. I guess when i become a full member i will learn what questions are appropriate. maybe i will follow your lead and get a shiny new bulb out of the deal.

              Comment


              • #8
                Roger and Paladin,

                Did you try giving Ridgid a ring? I had a similar situation and they mailed the part out pretty quick.

                Also, make sure you register for the Lifetime Service Agreement, make sure you have the original UPC and a copy of the receip.

                And Roger, if you do register, you can go through all the batteries you want for the life of the tools...no charge. That should make your Dewalt buddy jealous.

                Have you guys drilled through any plate metal yet? I'm especially interested in how the drill performs, as I think I'm going to get my bro one for Xmas.

                Thanks!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post
                  Roger and Paladin,

                  Did you try giving Ridgid a ring? I had a similar situation and they mailed the part out pretty quick.

                  Also, make sure you register for the Lifetime Service Agreement, make sure you have the original UPC and a copy of the receip.

                  And Roger, if you do register, you can go through all the batteries you want for the life of the tools...no charge. That should make your Dewalt buddy jealous.

                  Have you guys drilled through any plate metal yet? I'm especially interested in how the drill performs, as I think I'm going to get my bro one for Xmas.

                  Thanks!
                  Thanks,

                  Not really worried too much about the missing bulb, just trying to get feedback on the new set. Already registered for warranty, thats how i learned about this forum. Do they make a 24V impact drill? Or do they make a MAX Select?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not yet Roger. Heard it's on the way. btw the LXI 4 Combo is on sale for $400. Got mine today and it feels like good quality stuff.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JWMustang View Post
                      Not yet Roger. Heard it's on the way. btw the LXI 4 Combo is on sale for $400. Got mine today and it feels like good quality stuff.
                      JWMustang-

                      According to Roger's location, it says he's Canadian. I think the two of us just got ripped off. $400 plus a free tool. That's a smoking deal, enough that I'm thinking of returning my set, and hopping the border.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Comparison of 18V and 24V tools

                        This is a dupe of my posting in the "what's new" forum

                        I bought the 18volt set a couple months ago (the one with the impact wrench...not the reciprocating saw) when it was on clearance for $209. Just picked up this 24volt set a two days ago. Here is my impression...from a comparison standpoint.

                        The drill is actually a bit lighter (half a pound) than the 18V but this is probably because it doesn't come with a depth gauge or bit holder...questionable omissions on such a high end tool. The depth gauge is something I'd probably only use occasionally...the bit holder is something I use all the time...switching from drilling to driving.

                        The saw is lighter too, 8lbs 13oz vs. 9lbs 11oz. but again it does this with questionable changes...substituting a glass-filled nylon platform for the aluminum one on the 18V saw. It also switches the blade from the left hand (my preference as a right hander) to right hand side. Blade size is the same.

                        I don't have the 18V reciprocating saw for comparison but read the 24V one is a big improvement. It certainly is a beast. It weighs in at 9lbs 4oz. and runs incredibly smoothly. I have only owned cheap, tooth rattling, portable reciprocating saws (Black and Decker 14.4v Firestorm, Ryobi 18v OnePlus) and this thing is leaps and bounds better than them.

                        I read, on these forums, that some people were having very low runtime issues with the 24V set. I thought I discovered what was going on with the charging issue some people are having...but now I'm not so sure. The batteries have a charge level indicator on them. When they are plugged into the charger the indicator stays on. After only 5 minutes the indicator indicated full charge. However, the red charging light, on the charger was still on. I pulled the battery and it drained to nothing in a couple minutes. I then left the battery on the charger until the green, fully charged, indicator light came on. This took much longer...at least 30 minutes. Though I haven't done a rigorous discharge since then I have used them quite a bit and the batteries are still going strong.

                        Update on the charge issue. My drill suddenly died....the charge indicator only lit one light. Based on my usage it should have been nearly full. When I stuck it back in the charger it immediately gave a green light. Put it back in the drill and it worked fine after that. Something got messed up in it's little computer brain that the charger was able to fix. That is a little scary. Thank goodness for the lifetime warranty.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X