X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Table Router:FIXED BASE OR PLUNGE

I use a milwaukee 5625-20 in my benchdog router table because IMHO fixed base routers work better in the router table. Although through good ole yankee ingenuity plunge routers have been used very sucessfully in the table. Would like to have as many people as possible respond. Would love to hear about your router table set up.
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

I used to have a Freud FT2000E plunge router in my table, but swapped it for a Milwaukee 5625 fixed router when they went on sale last spring. I also picked up a Freud FT1700 fixed router on sale as well, and usually keep that one in the router table b/c it's above table features are so good.

http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116

I don't miss having a plunger at all....I don't recall ever using that feature.

Comment

Freuds are awesome

Originally posted by hewood View Post
      I used to have a Freud FT2000E plunge router in my table, but swapped it for a Milwaukee 5625 fixed router when they went on sale last spring. I also picked up a Freud FT1700 fixed router on sale as well, and usually keep that one in the router table b/c it's above table features are so good.

http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116

I don't miss having a plunger at all....I don't recall ever using that feature.
      Hey hewood, I love my Milwaukee and like that I can change bits w/o removing motor from table(but using wrenches under table) then Freud comes along and beats the milwaukee w/ above table changing. OH WELL!!!!!
      You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

I have an old Craftsman 3.5 HP plunge mounted in a Freud table. It would be nice to have features like above table bit changes and height adjustments but you don't miss what you have not tried. I find the fine adjustment of the freud fence very useful.

Comment

Bigger than the both of us

I guess your question really gets to the overall setup of your router table and
          you budget for building/buying/improving it.

I used to have a stand-alone router table to which my router was fixed. Bit changes were a pain because I had to work the wrenches under the table.
          Also depth changes were a pain - easy to go down, because the weight of
          the router (Bosch 1617EVS) cooperated with gravity. Up was more of a challenge. My current router table has a table insert which I can lift out
          of the table and adjust simply and quickly (with the same router).

If you have $150 to spend on a cool gadget, perhaps a router lift is in order.

Comment

I use my PC890 router's fixed base in my router table. It has an 'above the table' adjustment for raising and lowering the bit and also for changing bits - that works great. I pretty much only use the plunge router base for plunge routing!

Rick
            Rick in Cowichan Bay, B.C., Canada
            http://www.rickswoodworking.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Akita View Post
              Hey hewood, I love my Milwaukee and like that I can change bits w/o removing motor from table(but using wrenches under table) then Freud comes along and beats the milwaukee w/ above table changing. OH WELL!!!!!
              On the upside for the Milwaukee, it has more power than the FT-1700! Comes in handy for hogging through raised panels....

Comment

I have a PC 7518 in my table, an almost finished NYW version. It's an amazing router. Strong as can be. I also have the Woodpecker's PRL router lift and couldn't be happier.

Michael

Comment

I have a P.C. 7539 3 1/4 hp evs mounted on the table extension of my table saw. This set-up works ok I just haven't had time to finish it. I need to make it more user friendly by installing some removable router inserts. A quick tip that works for me I removed the plunge release handle on the router, it makes depth adjustment it soo much easier.

I also have a Ryobi R500 2 1/4 plunge (industrial grade) and a PC690 which I sometimes use as hand held and table mounted.

regards,
                  tgomez

Comment

I have a Porter-Cable 690 series mounted in a JessEm type lift system. Mounted in the lift, all the irritations of the P/C pretty much vanish. With the lift system, changing bits is an above table task.

I also have a Rigid 29000 Combination Router, which mostly serves for plunge routing work. It is a Cadillac among routers as far as I can tell, much nicer than the P/C for bench work. For one thing, the motor doesn't need to be turned to adjust depth of cut so the cord is always in the expected place. Also, changing bits is a one wrench job.
                    Duster

Comment

Working...
                    X