Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kickback - Dumb me! And Thank You Dave Arbuckle!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickback - Dumb me! And Thank You Dave Arbuckle!

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later but I was DUMB DUMB DUMB!! Took the splitter off the table saw because it was getting in the way of some cuts I was making (dumb move #1). I had to rip a small piece of 3/4" oak and said "I don't need to put the splitter back on for this" (second dumb move). No featherboard either (third dumb move). Well I almost finished the cut when the pushstick went flying out of my hand and I got grazed in the left shoulder by a flying block of oak! I couldn't believe how quickly it happened!(A special thanks here to Dave Arbuckle who wrote a post once about where to stand when you are making cuts - too the right of the blade.) Had I been standing left of the blade I have no doubt it would have hit me in the head. So a lesson learned here boys and girls. Please be safe and don't do DUMB things! Dave

MDF is the worst for kick back and yes safety first. I have a nine fingered carpenter that is a believer in safety now. (Oh, it happened at his home one weekend, not in the shop TG)
    No Bull Dust Just Saw Dust

Comment

I have an eight fingered sister I now call "Nubbie" due to lack of attention to safety...and a couple of scars of my own on my left hand.
      keep makn\' sawdust!...just don\'t breath any.

Comment

Dave,
        Sorry to hear about your accident, I have had the same happen to me with a big Jet cabinet saw and being 6'5" you can imagine where I got hit. couldnt walk for 3 days. but I have found a product from shop safety tech. that has fixed my problem with removing and re-attaching the splitter and anti-kickback device. it is a fold away splitter made for any saw that mounts on the back side of your saw that locks into place and can be folded away for plywood and miter-cutting, it can be found at most woodworker supply stores or contractor supply stores. I hope this helps your problem cause this item has paid for itself a few times over in my shop.
        Phillip Allen
        Orlando, FL

Comment

Originally posted by Allenqualitytrim:
          I have found a product from shop safety tech. that has fixed my problem with removing and re-attaching the splitter and anti-kickback device. it is a fold away splitter made for any saw that mounts on the back side of your saw that locks into place and can be folded away for plywood and miter-cutting, it can be found at most woodworker supply stores or contractor supply stores.
          Phillip, what is the name of the product?
          Bill

Comment

Phillip
            I have tried to find a website for Shop safety tech and came up empty. If you could post the name of the product that would be great! Thanks, Dave

Comment

On a more subtle note, I made a dado cut that caused quite a bit of tear out (on a side that would never show) and decided to blow the chips off the table while the dado head was still spinning - power off. A chip hit the blade and shot into my nostril causing a bloody nose. Made me realize to pay attention to safety at ALL times.

Comment

Go to this URL and see pic and supplierhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=5456

Comment

DaveM,

I am confused.

Everything I have read so far says to stand to the left of the blade. There is a prominent article by Kelly Mehler in the current Fine Woodworking magazine (page 56) that says stand to the left. I imagine his book says the same thing.

Your post says stand to the right.

So, what is the correct answer?

Thanks,

Rob

Comment

Personally, I stand left of the blade also. I find that standin right of the blade forces me to work left handed. Not a good idea in my book.
                    <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

Rob
                      I was just pointing out something that Dave Arbuckle has posted here regarding postitioning oneself. I am no expert so am not certain what is right to be honest. I do know had I been standing left of the blade I would of had a chunk of oak sticking out of my throat. Perhaps I might of had better control of the wood if I had been left of the blade and not had the kickback. Hard to say what would have happened. Dave

Comment

Dave,

Were you also to the right of the fence, or between the fence and the blade?

Rob

Comment

It was a relatively small piece I was ripping... probably a bit more right...

Comment

Working...
                          X