X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DP1550 Drill Press Opinions

For those of you who own the DP1550 what are your likes/dislikes about the unit. I am considering buying my father one in our Employee Reconditioned Tool Sale here at Ridge. Is there any woble? How the Power?

Any input would be cool. Thanks,

Josh

Hey, wait a minute, what’s wrong with this picture? The Ridgid representative is asking us if Ridgid tools are worthy of his money, that’s rather comical. Josh, I have the older gray model and like it. I had concerns about being underpowered with only ½ hp but that has proven unfounded, at least for my purposes. I’ve chucked up 2+ inch Forstner bits and drilled through hardwood easily enough and I don’t foresee any more demanding applications on the horizon. I haven’t noticed any run out but I have not measured it either. I also was leery of the circular depth adjustment mechanism, but the learning curve on it is extremely short and I’ve found that I really like it now. I only paid $180 and feel that I got a heck of a bargain but I would still be happy with it had I paid more.

Woodslayer

Comment

They're decent machines, but I wouldn't pay full price for one. At 20% they're reasonable.
      www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Drill Presses are completely new territory for me. The only one I have used is a cheap hand-me-down that my father curbed last month when the motor froze up.

I would assume that our Drill press lives up to the rest of the line but I havent heard much talk about it on the forums. I purchased our 4piece combo without any employee discount and I am not disapointed. I havent had the opportunity to try our press out so I figured I would ask some of you guys.

Thanks,

Josh

Comment

Josh

Are you going to use it mostly for wood work and pretty light duty, or are you going to need slow speeds for drilling steel? About how much use per week (worst case) do you think it will see? You are at an advantage buying factory reconditioned at the tech that worked on it should have fixed any defective parts and/or workmanship. I think you need to ask yourself if it's going to be enough machine to do everything you want it to. Good luck and I hope owners comment. For myself I have a JET that's a good bit more machine but then it costs more too. They have similar models that are pretty good. A USA Delta should serve you well, until you price them. I think the Ridgid should be fine for home workshop use. If not, you can sell it later and buy a beast.

Comment

Home use probably once or twice a week at most. For the most part we would use it for woodworking projects. Dont forsee using it on metal.

Josh

Comment

Josh

In that case and with your discount, go for it. Just make sure to really check it out carefully for "just in case" anything is messed up with it. If you have one without defects you should get years of service.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! I think I will go ahead and give er a try.

Josh

Comment

Working...
                X