Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on which table saw to buy?

I've finally come to the point where I want to toss my $100 craftsman portable table saw and get something where I can do some real work.

I was planning to get the Ridgid TS3650 but I just got a promo deal in the mail for the delta contrator saw. The Delta 36-682 is on sale for 499 which includes the 30" Biesemeyer fence. It seems like a great deal. You also get a $50 store credit, which would pretty much pay for a mobile base upgrade.

Any thoughts, I don't think the delta has any dust collection hookup, and it's a right tilt. But I've always liked the Biesemeyer fence. The TS3650 seems really solid, but I'm not sure how the fence compares.

Matt

Matt - That's a crazy good deal on any new saw with a Biese fence. Considering that it's a well proven design from a reputable brand and has cast iron wings, along with the $50 gift card, and I don't see how you can beat that....$450! Leaves plenty of money for goodies like a nice blade.

Most people really like the Biesemeyer fence...it's the most highly copied fence on the market and is just in a different league than most stock fences near the $600 mark. The fact that you've always liked it should have conserable weight. The Ridgid fence does the job well, but I suspect many owners wouldn't have minded getting a Biese on their 3650's at no additional cost, which is essentially what the Delta deal is offering.
    Last edited by hewood; 11-15-2006, 01:17 PM.

Comment

That is a pretty good deal on the Delta and I'm sure you'd be very happy with that saw. However, you will be giving up a few things if you choose the Delta over the Ridgid. The Ridgid has two(2) CI wings and the Delta only has one. The Ridgid will give you 36" wide rip capacity whereas the Delta only has a 30" capacity. The blade guard/splitter on the Ridgid is much more user friendly to remove and remount than the one found on the Delta. Finally, the Herc-U-Lift Mobile Base on the Ridgid is vastly superior to anything else out there. The Biesemeyer fence on the Delta is a great system but the Ridgid fence also ranks up near the top for fences in its class.
      Last edited by BadgerDave; 11-15-2006, 02:04 PM.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Like white on rice I'd be on that deal! That's an $800 saw. No comparison in fences IMHO...you can easily buy or make a base if you need mobility, but upgrading to that fence would set you back some big bucks. You should be able to slide the rails to the right to gain about 10" rip capacity if you need more.

Comment

I like the TS3650 a little better than the Delta, but long term I didn't know if the delta would be a better choice. I'm not sure how many people are making accessories for the ridgid.

Comment

Originally posted by manfang View Post
            I like the TS3650 a little better than the Delta, but long term I didn't know if the delta would be a better choice. I'm not sure how many people are making accessories for the ridgid.
            The Biesmyer fence should hold up alot better in the long run. It's a very tough accurate fence. Interesting that you asked about a Delta saw on the Ridgid site though!

Comment

I'm not sure how many people are making accessories for the ridgid.
              Not sure that I understand your concern? Both saws are contractor style table saws so any aftermarket accessory will probably work on both saws.
              Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

No contest...get the Biesemeir.

Comment

Most interesting to hear the replies to the original post, especially regarding the fence mostly from folks who don't own the 3650. I own the 3650 and I find that the fence is equivalent or better than the Beismeyer fence and I have used both. The 3650 is an excellent saw and the LSA is definately something to be considered. Both saws are made off shore, (I won't restart that debate). As Badger Dave has indicated the Herc U Lift is an exceptional mobile base. I would get the 3650 I don't believe that you will regret it.

just my opinion for what it is worth.

Ken

Comment

Here's an old thread on the Biese fence topic that might be of interest to some. Both sides of the debate make some good points IMO.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=broken+fence

Comment

just out of curiosity, who is offering this deal?

Comment

Rockler is who's selling it for $499 including a $50 gift card.

I went back to Home Depot last night to checkout the 3650. The floor model was in really rough shape, the mobile base was broken, and the fence didn't lock as sold as it should. I don't think it's a flaw with a saw, it probably just due to hard living with thousands of people bumping into it. I will say it's difficult to evalute a tool that's mostly broken.

Anyways, I checked out the delta today, and the biesemeyer fence sold me; it's built like a tank. I think the 3650 saw itself is a little better than the delta, but I liked the biesemeyer fence so much I bought the delta.

Thanks all for your input.

Comment

Rockler is who's selling it for $499 including a $50 gift card.

I went back to Home Depot last night to checkout the 3650. The floor model was in really rough shape, the mobile base was broken, and the fence didn't lock as sold as it should. I don't think it's a flaw with a saw, it probably just due to hard living with thousands of people bumping into it. I will say it's difficult to evalute a tool that's mostly broken.

Anyways, I checked out the delta today, and the biesemeyer fence sold me; it's built like a tank. I think the 3650 saw itself is a little better than the delta, but I liked the biesemeyer fence so much I bought the delta.

Thanks all for your input.
                          Congrats on your new saw...sounded like an amazing offer to me....you paid $350 for a fence, and a $100 for the saw! Make sure you get a really good blade or two to optimize it...

Comment

Working...
                          X