X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own a Ridgid lathe?

I'm looking at buying a barely used Ridgid lathe and wanted to know if anyone owns one or has had some experience with one. Pros/cons?

They are a real nice beginner lathe. Easy to get standard accessories for. What kind of price are you looking at for a used one and what comes with it?

Comment

The lathe hasn't been used. They haven't mentioned a price. They've just said that they need the cash. I think it comes with a basic set of turning tools.

Comment

It does not have a good rep. If they give you some good tools and such with it, then it might be worth looking.
        From what I've seen the lathe is worth about $75 by itself, even new.
        www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

What kind of reputation does it have? I have never owned a lathe and really wouldn't do much with this one. I was just intrigued because I don't think they're asking that much for it.

Comment

Starrt here
            http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...t=ridgid+lathe
            www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Well some people have them and use them all the time. If it is new and you can get it for $200 or less grab it. Or let me know where it is and I will. The only problem it has is the vibration. ALL lathes have that and a few sand bags will provide the wieght it needs to remain steady. Don't listen to anyone about anything that does not have or has not had the item. Hearsay is just that, I know people that say the jet and Delta lathes are total junk, because they spent a couple grand on a One Way

Comment

For $200 you can get better lathes that are still made.
                There is a good reason ridgid no longer makes that lathe.
                www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Discontinued because it was not a big seller. There are a couple million of them out there still in use. Either Ridgid or Craftsman branded. I have a Ridgid and have 3 friends that have the Craftsman that use them all the time. Only lathe in price to size class is the HF and it is junk compared. I have not owned the HF but have seen it in the stores and can speak from first hand knowledge.

Comment

Any 'tube' type lathe, such as the Ridgid, will twist and vibrate too much to get good turnings. So far the Harbor Freight offerings, they have one jewel in the rough, the Model 34706. It goes on sale every few months for about $189-$199. It has a cast iron way and has served many beginners a way to get into turning. It is an almost perfect clone of the Jet 1236. Check out the WoodNet forums or the WoodCentral forums and you will see many good reviews on the 34706 as a beginner lathe.

gator

Comment

Heard about this thread and the ignorance of posters that never owned a Ridged or Craftsman equivelant lathe. Gator, I really appreciate you saying that my turnings are not any good. Stupidity is one of the main reasons I stay away from most forum sites anymore. Please feel free to enjoy you Harbor frieght lathes, I am certain they are a much better lathe than mine and you can do better turnings on them because of that.
                      info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

PapaDan -

First, I'm sorry if I offended you and second, I'm sorry you got a hair up your ___ and took offense.

I started with the HF 34706 and agree that it is not a 'complete' lathe. It is a good beginner lathe. I have used a lathe with a tube way and I can vouch for the fact that the tube way vs a cast iron way is all the difference in the world. Have you turned on a lathe with cast iron ways?

I would advise the original poster to not just look at responses here but to look at the turning forums at WoodCentral, Sawmill Creek and WoodNet. There are internationally known turners there that will be glad to offer advise.

gator

Comment

If you read the first reply to this thread, I said it was a good beginner lathe. I know it is not a Jet and I know the jet is not a One Way. The Ridgid is a good beginner lathe that accepts standard acc. Several years usage and a couple hundred turnings and my tube type has never "twisted".

Comment

papadan,

Your posting here makes it easier for people to see your site, and finished work. IMO, somebody with your skill influences the board many times more than trolls and speculators.

I remember looking at your tool shop, and seeing the TS2400 there and all of your wonderful end products. That's what sealed the deal for me, i ended up buying one shorthly thereafter.

thanks

Comment

Thanks CMW. Guess my earlier post was a little harsh, just get tired of people downing things they know nothing about. Gator, I do have another lathe. I have a Jet mini that I use for winter turning when my garage is just too cold to work in. I use the Jet in the house where it is warm and my hands don't hurt. I cannot find any differences between what I turn on the Ridgid, versus what I turn on the Jet. Quality chisels, proper sharpening, and experience makes all the difference in the end product. I have no intension of ever replacing my Ridgid lathe, it does a fine job of whatever turning I do. If you are happy with your HF then more power to you, just don't knock mine!
                              info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Working...
                              X