Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings From the Northwest

Greetings from Ory-gun,

I have been lurking here and on a few other forums for several days while I weighed the various options for purchasing my first table saw. Have used a radial arm saw for umpteen years and for the past couple of years my wife has been pestering me to buy a TS. A couple weeks ago, after her latest prompt from her, I bought a TS book to read up on how they worked, how to use them and so forth. Decided that she was right, so went hunting. I haunted various stores around town and on the internet looking and studying which saw would be best for our situation. Wanted something decent but had to be somewhat on the small size for out-of-the-way storage in the garage. The Ridgid TS2400LS fit most everything I wanted so decided to finally go get one today at the local Home Depot. They had two - One was brand new and the other was a "Returned - Slightly Used" and marked down from the regular price of $449 to $299. Decided to try the "used" one figuring we could take it back and get the new one if this one was beat up or missing parts, etc. Got it home and opened the box and it looked brand new. Not even any sawdust on it anywhere. That was looking like more like our good fortune. Wheeled it over and lifted up the stand and looked it over more carefully. The blade was installed but nothing else even looked like it was unwrapped except the miter, the blade guard still had styrofoam inside. I raised the blade a bit and made sure it was clear and able to spin. Wanted to check the motor to see if that was the problem that they returned it. Plugged it in and powered it up. Okay, technically the wife threw the switch, she was as excited as a kid at Christmas. Ran great, no problem. As it slowed to a stop it was then that I knew why the former owner brought it back and why there was no sawdust - The blade was installed backwards! We are guessing that they installed the blade to make a test cut and when nothing much happened in the way of actually cutting they probably decided it did not work right. Too funny, but a big bargain for us. By the way, that would seem like a potential case of kick-forward rather than kick-back. I have to sit and ponder how that was handled. Hopefully friends to do call the former owner him/her lefty.

As I said I have been lurking here for while and now that I have an actual saw I wanted to join in the merriment and also add a big thanks to all here who post so much good info! Thanks to all for making this look like a great place.

Ciao,
    Falcon

Originally posted by Falcon2358 View Post
    Greetings from Ory-gun,

Have used a radial arm saw for umpteen years and for the past couple of years my wife has been pestering me to buy a TS. A couple weeks ago, after her latest prompt from her, I bought a TS book to read up on how they worked, how to use them and so forth. Decided that she was right, so went hunting.
    Falcon,

Welcome aboard I'm sure I speak for the masses, when I say, your wife rocks.

Great deal on a great saw! I got mine for $315 from HD, via coupon and rebate. I think you should attempt to register for the Lifetime Service Agreement from Ridgid...free labor and parts for life!!! The LSA is not automatic, you have to send in the UPC and copy of the receipt so save it.

If the stock blade is still off, you might as well leave it off. It's a terrible blade, and since you got such a killer deal, you should treat yourself to a really nice blade, ie. Forrest (there's plenty of recommendations on this board)

Comment

falcon, you should trade it in for a chain saw one with an oregon chain

come visit the other sites (plumbing) for some serious help.

welcome to the forum.

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

Falcon, welcome to the board. I am sure you'll find a lot of good info on your saw on these boards. Glad you got such a good deal.

Josh

Comment

Originally posted by CheekyMonkeyWrench View Post
          Falcon,

Welcome aboard I'm sure I speak for the masses, when I say, your wife rocks.

Great deal on a great saw! I got mine for $315 from HD, via coupon and rebate. I think you should attempt to register for the Lifetime Service Agreement from Ridgid...free labor and parts for life!!! The LSA is not automatic, you have to send in the UPC and copy of the receipt so save it.

If the stock blade is still off, you might as well leave it off. It's a terrible blade, and since you got such a killer deal, you should treat yourself to a really nice blade, ie. Forrest (there's plenty of recommendations on this board)
          I think she rocks too! Loves using our angle grinder and saws-all then can put on an evening gown and get a standing ovation singing as a soprano.

Thanks for the advice on the LSA, I had not looked into that yet but you have given me some extra info that I had not known.

As far as the blade, I already have a Freud that works great. I did look long and hard at the Forrest line of blades but in the end I went with the other brand. I had actually picked up a few accessores to get me started before I even had a TS. (Incra Miter, Feather board, push shoe, Freud blade). Had I known in advance that I would get such a great deal on the saw I might have gone with Forrest.

Ciao,
          Falcon

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
            falcon, you should trade it in for a chain saw one with an oregon chain

come visit the other sites (plumbing) for some serious help.

welcome to the forum.

rick.
            Plumbing. Sigh. I -HATE- plumbing! I am even in fear that after typing that "P" word on my laptop it will start dripping water somewhere. However, the next time I get into a plumbing situation, which is everytime I have to do that sort of thing, I am glad I now have some resources to call on for help!

Ciao,
            Falcon

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
              Falcon, welcome to the board. I am sure you'll find a lot of good info on your saw on these boards. Glad you got such a good deal.

Josh
              Thanks. Yup, this forum has been a great help in many ways, not just specific to the Ridgid brand, but also the overall combined knowledge I have gained from folks here.

Ciao,
              Falcon

Comment

Working...
              X