X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop Pic's

I didn't have a camera when this tread was running a couple of wekks ago. Got one yesterday for the b-day. Couldn't wait to try it out. So here they are. There is a little orange in there. If you have any suggestions how to pack more in there when it is compressed for the wife's car. Let me here it. The wood working show is in my near future.

Best Regards
    Attached Files

Where did u get the stand for the jointer? Shop looks real nice. Wish I had time to organize mine.

Comment

Nice set up. It looks like you've solved the one car in the garage problem just fine to me. I've got a similar situation. I'd download some pictures but it won't let me. How did you get your pictures up. The site keeps telling me that the filess/pictures are too big.

Comment

shop looks good but I don't think the dust collector should be right next to the gas water heater, just my opinion for saftey, sawdust by the flame could ignite easily. nice shop however

Comment

Jointer Stand

Originally posted by Bert648 View Post
          I didn't have a camera when this tread was running a couple of wekks ago. Got one yesterday for the b-day. Couldn't wait to try it out. So here they are. There is a little orange in there. If you have any suggestions how to pack more in there when it is compressed for the wife's car. Let me here it. The wood working show is in my near future.

Best Regards
          BERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          Where'd you get the jointer stand. gotta gotta have one

NUBY

Comment

More Room?

I also have to park my car into my two car wide workshop. I don't have near as many stationary tools as you have.

Some thoughts about getting more room.

Your ceiling looks to be about eight feet or better. I have built a lumber storage rack in the space between the garage door (open position) and the ceiling. With the garage door opener in the middle of the garage door opening, two racks could be installed. Currently I have one.

Locate the ceiling joists and use long lag screws to attach a couple of 2 by 4 by 8 feet rails to the ceiling joists. Have the two inch edge against the ceiling. Use these to attach (lag bolts) some short 2 by 4 hangers to the four inch side of the rails into the area above the garage door. Mount some 2 by 4 between these hangers. I used heavy duty steel angles and lag bolts to reinforce all corners. Since my car is ocassionly below this rack I made it real strong so I do not expect to find lumber on my car roof some morning.

My rack came out to eight feet long by six feet two inches wide (inside) by eighteen inches down from the ceiling. I noticed that your step ladder is handy. Use it to access the lumber in the rack.

I have also started to use the inside of the garage door for storing dowels and lightweight wood. I used 4" PVC drain, the green stuff. Cut 2 1/2 inch "collars" from the pipe. Drill a hole in the collar for a sheet metal screw and opposite that hole, a 1/4" hole for a screwdriver. Mount the collars to the inside of the garage door panels. Space them an needed for holding dowels and other "scrap" pieces. As the garage door opens and closes, the contents will rotate inside the collers.

(This technique is also handy for storing fishing rods).

I am currently working on some removable brackets to attach to the garage door that I can lay some planks. I can then use when pre finishing/painting. I figure that an 18'' to 24" deep area can be used. This will remove that chore from my workbench by using the "wasted wall area" of the garage door.

Comment

I still don't know how you guys keep your shops so clean! It's amazing! I've got more sawdust on my living room floor than you have in your shop.

Just in case my wife is reading this, I'm only joking about the sawdust on the living room floor. She's very good at keeping a clean house, despite my best efforts.

Comment

Working...
              X