Left Blade vs Right Blade Circular Saws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left Blade vs Right Blade Circular Saws

I was lucky enough to receive a Porter Cable Circular saw for my birthday on the weekend. Its a beatiful looking machine. The only thing is, its a left blade saw. I've only ever used cheaper circular saws and the blade has always been on the right. I have the option of returning the saw to exchange it for another model. Can anyone tell me any big advantages or disadvantages to a left blade saw over a right blade saw?

The blade on the left is easier to use if you are right handed. You can watch the cut without looking over the saw.
    Patrick

Comment

This is a great post! Thanks for asking!

Assuming you are right handed, (and cutting anything from right to left) the pro's are:

You generally cut the smaller piece off, so the saw's table rides on the larger piece giving more stability.

It's easier to see the saw blade at the mark if using a pencil or chalk line mark. If using a clamped on straight edge, you push the saw instead of pull it to ride the straight edge.

Now, the disadvantages...

The saw dust created is thrown at you, considering the above assumptions.

The torque of the motor will throw the blade at you in unique situations. Meaning the blade will "pull" away from the motor.

I for one am right handed (swing a bat left handed if it means anything) and much prefer the left handed circular saw. I'd rather push the saw to a straight edge, it gives much better stability than pulling hench, putting you off balance on your feet pulling into a straight edge. Saw dust is a neusance, plain and simple. If your cutting outside in a breeze, and not in a closed shop, the wind with a right handed saw can give you as much dust to deal with as a left handed.

I once had a right handed saw tear out of my hands due to the "pinch" on the blade and it's take off due to it. Now it went "AWAY" from me. But, if it was a left handed saw, I would have not been off balance, and it would have torqued into my grip, not away from me. But then again, if I wasn't ready, it could have come loose from my grip and come right at me.

Doesn't matter, if you are not on top of the safety issues, and know exactly what your doing and "what could happen": Accidents happen, and if your not on top of things, they will. Be right or left.

I can only offer you my personal opinion; I"d keep it, us it, enjoy it. I seldom use a circular saw anymore, and my regrets are on that I chose the Milwaukee lever lock instead of the PC lefty last summer. Could have saved 40 bucks too!
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I've worked at a lumber yard for like 10yrs and have always got mixed feed back when PC came out with this left blade saw. At differant times I've had customers tell me all the reasons you stated, for a right handed person to use the left blade saw. On the other hand several others have told me after using the right blade for years that just cant used to the change.
        That was me, I grew up using my dads all steel cased, craftsman right blade saw, and just never could get use to the new lefty's. It allways just feels like your standing on the safer side of the saw to me (probably just comfortable with it).
        At work we seem to sell alot more PC 347K right blade, which is what I have at home, but I think its mostly what your comfortable with.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, now at least I have somethings to consider before I make the final decision.

Comment

I bought a Skil Mag77 when I started my remodel company. Up from a B&D right blade. After a short adjustment period, I am now more than comfortable with the left blade saw. You do need to get used to starting most measurements fron the left side of the stock--rather than the right side, where we used to start.

Some cuts are awkward if you do not take the blade difference into consideration. If I ever need a lighter saw, the PC is the one I will buy.
            Mac<P>Problems are opportunities in disguise

Comment

I have had the PC Boss 6 inch circular saw for quite some time now. It is a left bladed saw also. Although as a right hander I find it to be more user friendly than my right bladed saws. But 6 inch blades for it are a pain to find.

Comment

I had the good furtune to work with a talented carpenter for a few years. (We were not doing carpentry, thought.) When I asked him this question I was told that a big reason all but one of his saws are RH is because they are often used in situations where the cutoff will fall on the far side of the saw (roof edges, trimming floor joist and rafter ends, etc.), and that most RHed folks find it easier to travel from right to left using their right arm, and the weight of the saw is supported on the good material that's _not_supposed_ to fall anywhere.
                If it seems too good to be true; <i>raise your standards.</i>

Comment

K L.........Does Black & Decker really make tools ??? thought it was a rumor
                  <a href=\"http://www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodshopphotos.com/gallery/Ralphs-workshop</a><br /><br />I can fix anything......where\'s the duct tape ?? :-)

Comment

K L.........Does Black & Decker really make tools ??? thought it was a rumor

They make lots and lots of bright yellow ones, and I hear some red ones too...

Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X