Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim/Laminate Routers

Hey fella!
    I'm trying to decide between the Ridgid and the Bosch.
    Any input here?
    What about PC's trim router? Should i consider that one as well?
    Anyone own the Ridgid? If so what do you think?

Same for the others... If you have used any of them, give me your take on it.

Thanks
    Nobu
    Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

I don't think you can go wrong with either. That's just my 1000 pesos worth.

Comment

Here's someone else's take on this subject. This is offered only as an example of another alternative and not as an endorsement.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Goodness...

Why Dave, someone might get the opinion that you think trim routers are a waste of $$$

I understand that guys point. It is definately NOT a must have tool.
        I could get by with my larger routers for going everything. No doubt about it. It just seems like it would be so much nicer to use a small, light router to put small chamfers, rounds, etc. on a piece.

I haven't made my mind up on this tool. That's why i'm looking for opinions.

Can ya dig it mah brothers!?!

That's my ni yen worth.
        Last edited by nobunaga-sama; 11-29-2006, 05:29 PM.
        Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

nobunaga-sama, on the contrary, I think trim routers do have their place in many woodworkers shops. As I stated, I offered that fellas thread only as an alternative opinion to spending a lot of money on one.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have a porter cable trim rounter, and really like it,

and after I got it I use it for many of the normal routing jobs that take a 1/4" bit, it is so much easer to handle,

and basicly leave the other rounters for the 1/2 jobs,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Get the Bosch!!!!It has won all the laminate trim router tests. You can also get the variable speed model!!!!!!
              You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

Ever since I got it my large router has been getting a lot less use. Its just so much easier to control and handle for a lot of the smaller work. The Bosch is a pretty nice unit. I'd say its about equal to the ridgid except its got slightly better micro adjustment. I came very close to pulling the trigger on the Ridgid but was eventually scared away by the total lack of bases and accessories for it. The Bosch has a lot of aftermarket add-ons for it I'll probably be needing at some point. I like that the Bosch is also designed with a grip to actually be held. Something that has always struck me as odd with trim routers is manufacturers seem to forget someone actually has to hold the tool yet they don't bring any real gripping surface. I tried the PC model and it just felt awkward.

Comment

The December issue of Woodworkers Journal has an article comparing 8 different trim routers. They rated the Ridgid as second best with the Bosch Colt as number one. Of course this is their opinion. I'm concidering the Ridgid myself, mostly due to the price as compared to others.
                  If at first you don't succeed, try reading the owners manual.

Comment

I would get the Bosch over the ridgid. It's only $20 more for a superior trim router...

Comment

Sounds like we have a winner!

Thanks for all the advise guys!

Sounds like most everyone leans in the Bosch direction. I have to admit, even though i am a Ridgid fanatic i have the same opinion.
                      I did look at the PC (and i love their tools as well) but i just couldn't get into it for some reason.

i will probably go with the Colt.

Sorry i doubted you Dave

Thanks guys!
                      Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/artic...ticle&partID=1

Here's another review of trim routers. Once again the Bosch is the top pick with the Ridgid second.
                        I also noticed dewalt revamped their trim router with a new model. It actually looks remarkably similar to the Porter Cable unit, and the bases look the same. Wouldn't surprise me if it was the same unit in yellow given they are now owned by the same company and we're seeing a lot of crossover in their products.

Comment

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...id+trim+router
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Colt and Bolt!

I grab the Colt and ran fellas!

Thanks for everyones input. I picked up the Bosch over the weekend and hopefully i will get some time to put it to good use.

I am confident that it will perform fantastically.

Nobu
                            Yoroshiku onegai shimasu

Comment

I bought the Ridgid laminate trimmer. At the time, I was looking at the Makita also. I've had trouble with Bosch routers in the past so didn't really look seriously at the colt.
                              I use my timmer pretty much daily, love the soft start and the varible speed. Really like the control you get from the smaller "one hand" size.
                              It has enough power to do beveled counter top edges in oak, so I'm happy.

Oh, and deciding factor? My wife works with me and the Ridgid was the only trimmer she could get her hand around.
                              Last edited by Ross Creek; 12-04-2006, 11:52 AM. Reason: After thought

Comment

Working...
                              X