X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Honest Opinions

First of all, i did page 23 of the online manual and got a shock. In fact, quite a few shocks. There's tons more info in the online catalog, a page difference of 26 pages. The instructions are clearer and more in depth. It's a wonder that i ever got the thing running in the first place. Having absolutely no experience on a table I didn't understand what they ment by put the head of the square in the mitre guage until i saw it in a woodcraft class. They have pictures in the online catalog (no pics in the hardcopy) Suffice it to say, I've tossed that insult and printed out the online version. I started to dismiss this procedure has having been done, but i always try one more time. When it mentioned " if a tooth interferes with the square, the mechanism underneath must be adjusted", of course bells went off. I tried it and sure enough the front tooth stopped the movement of the blade on the square. Hadn't heard that in the class-table saw video-kelly meyers boo-Rick peters book and i could go on So that trunnion thing that i hoped i'd never have to do I know, not realistic . Thanx for that link BHD. Priceless. Can't wait to read it cover to cover.

But there's one more thing, I've scoured the web looking for any and all reviews on the 3650 especially and the ridgid woodworking line in general. I made up my mind that i wanted to put together a hobby shop quickly within my retirement budget. I saw the ridgid and to my untrained it looked pretty good. I read what i could and couldn't find any hands down , god don't buy it reviews. As i went along comparing prices and specs that were totally unfamilar (.005 runout) , not knowing or understanding exactly where this was all going, i decided to go depot. 20 years ago it probably would a been sears. So i've been popping them in the van one at a time.... So far the table saw, the jointer and drill press. I 'll probably do the planer this month. all that to ask this What is your honest opinion about the ridgid line and how does it compare to the delta's the grizzly's etc? my eyes are peeled

thanx
    NUBY

djame, I'm very satisfied with the Ridgid tools that I own primarily because, when I purchased them, I thought they were the best tools for my needs. None of them have given me any trouble at all and all have performed up to the high expectations I assumed they would.

Given the chance, would I purchase all of the tools in the Ridgid line? Absolutely not. Like every other manufacturer on the planet Ridgid does some things well and other things not as well. Personally, I tend to look at each tool purchase on its own merit with the company of manufacture being down near the bottom of the list of requirements.

For many of us budget is a deciding factor of what tools to buy or not buy. The Ridgid line of woodworking tools, IMO, is a very good bargain when looked at from a quality for money spent viewpoint.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Personally I don't own any Ridgid power tools, (a large share of that comes from the fact that Home depot has only been open in our area for about a year), and I have not been in a wood tool buying mood in the last few years,

but I have looked at them,

there are better tools out there and there are much worst,

If I was to rate them in a general way I would classify them a High grade home owners, to a low to maybe mid range professional tool, (and by this I mean it is a contractors saw not a professional top line cabinet saw)

but then there are many company's that sell a range of tools to from low end to better,

and when it comes to tools a lot is in what you like and what is in your price range, and what and how your going to use them,

Having a wonderful old cabinet saw to rip a few 2x4's on once or twice a year is overkill, but to try to build cabinets on a table top saw doesn't work very well either,

Ridgid power tools will do many people a wonderful job and will be all they will ever need,

and unless you have access to many different brands and be able to try them out for a few projects, Normally one will not know that there is better or worst out there, you will know you like some things about what you have and things that you ask what was the designer smoking when they thought out that feature,

on table saws, size of table top, (I vote for solid extensions), and I like some space behind the blade, (some of the smaller saws have the blade set way back to the back edge of the table, the problem is that is not much stock support as you run the stock being cut behind the blade and I feel that makes a more dangerous situation as your trying to counter act the weight of the stock as your finishing the cut), If you have this kind of a situation use an axually table behind your saw to support the stock as it leaves the saw.

and the ease and quality of the fence,(the locking and it ability to take a jarring and if it needs to be realigned often),
      also I extended my table on the right hand side so that the fence can be a full 48" from the blade, and the extension table is solid, (used a formica toped plywood). In a shop using plywood I feel this is a necessity.
      so I would say the ability to at lest to be able to extend the fence to a 48" from the center, normally with some addition hardware being bought optional, is necessary on my list,

the miter gage and slots ability to to be solid, and ease of adjusting, and just some bulk in them (have at least 5 different miter gages, and the old heavy one is the easiest one to use)

Power, if you have sharp blades you really don't need a lot of power, unless your ripping 3" rough lumber,
      ~~~~~~~~~~
      so when it comes to power tools

some of what makes a good tool is one that meet you needs, If your turning out $100,000 custom cabinets or if your building bird houses with your grand kids the use will determine a lot of what will make a good saw for you,

but a skilled person can take a hand saw and make a beautiful piece of furniture and a unskilled person can take a $5000 dollar table saw and not split a 2x4 in half,

so good tools do help a person, but then a again a large amount to what one will be able to do is up to them not the tool,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I happened to be in HD today, and it just so happened that I had read djame's comments about the online vice included manual for the TS-3650 this morning before I went.

I was very surprised to find that my local HD (which I had not been in for about 4 weeks) had finally replaced the old TS-3650 they had on the floor with a new one which looks like it has been properly assembled for a change. They also had left the manual with the saw for potential buyers to view. I checked it out and found that the version of the manual is no where near as detailed as the one I got with my saw back in Dec 2003. My manual reads like the one available online (http://www.ridgid.com/CatalogDocs/TS3650_6498_eng.pdf)

and is a much better description on performing alignment of the saw than the one that is out there on the floor with the saw at my local HD. Why this trimmed down version is being sent out with the saw is beyond me, but it sure is creating problems for new owners as we have seen here time and again in comments about setting up their new saws. I wonder what the legal ramifications to TTI and/or Ridgid might be if someone got hurt using the incomplete or otherwise unreliable information in the shortened version? somehow these two versions of the manual have materialized and the lesser one is being distributed with the saw it would seem. Is this a move to save a few trees and boost profits a few pennies per saw? I think not, at least I hope not. It is something that should be looked at and corrected I think. And both copies of the manual need review by someone who speaks English as their primary language for grammar and spelling.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob, I was wondering why there was so many complaints about the owners manual that comes with the 3650. I couldn't understand why so many people were having so many problems putting their saw together. The manual that was included with my 3612 was very detailed but with easy to follow step by step instructions. Your comparison between what you received back in 2003 and what current buyers are receiving explains a lot. I too can't understand why they now only supply only the Cliffs Note version of the owners manual with the saw.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Give me Ridgid or give me...

djame,

I can't and won't tell you why you should buy Ridgid power tools, but I can explain why I bought mine.

#1 - Price point! If money was no object, I'd have a SawStop cabinet saw, a passle of Powermatic, and a covey of Jet, Delta, and Bosch tools lining the shelves and cabinets of my custom woodworking shop. Unfortunately, until the lottery commission cooperates, money is an object. Ridgid tools might not be the best tools on the market, but they are frequently the best value on the market.

#2 - Quality! Don't let point #1 take anything away from the great features and quality of the Ridgid tools I own. They might not be the best, but they are far from the worst. My TS3650 is a pleasure to use. Likewise my JP0610. I even like my noisy old wet-dry vac that helps me keep my floor clean enough to find the next piece of lumber to cut up or shave down. Ridgid tools are, in my experience, of a higher quality than most other low to mid-priced tools.

#3 - Availability! If I want to look at a Powermatic cabinet saw, I have to drive almost an hour. I picked up my TS3650 from the HD 5 minutes from my house, and they helped me load it in my truck. Say what you will about Home Depot, but they have provided fantastic point-of-purchase customer service to me.

I think the best advice to follow is to look for the tools that have the features you want and need, the quality and durability that you require based on your usage, and at the price point you can afford. Brand name should only be a consideration once you've got the tool home and your neighbor asks you what brand you bought.

Comment

Bob D, thanks for that link. That is a very good manual! I am pretty sure my blade is not properly aligned because when I rip a long board, it is not true from one end to the other. I am going to go thru the alignment process and see if that helps.

Cindy

Comment

As a proud TS2400 owner, I can't begin to tell you how satisfied I'm with this great saw.

I've built a couple work benches, some cabinets, ripped tons of ply, and have used it for a host of other projects, and I enjoy every instance, when I get to set that puppy up.

I also own the Ridgid MSUV (of which I have really grown to love). In addition I have the R3120 Jig saw (awesome!!, especially with Bosch Progressor blades), the 6" ROS (equally awesome) and I've used the 4pc Xli extensively (brother owns a set).

I can vouch for the fence and cut quality on the 3650, as a friend of mine owns one. It really is a great ts for the price. When time and space allows, I'll trade my 2400 for the 3650.

Lastly, I would limit your attention to people who actually own Ridgid tools, especially because people here are extremely subjective and candid. So, you will get an unbiased real world review, which will help you make the right choice.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I needed that. Wondering if you made a $$$ biggg mistake is hard on the nerves.

NUBY

Comment

I think within a given classification, ie: portable planer, floor jointer, contractor saw, etc., most of the Ridgid tools are pretty comparable and competitive with Delta, Griz, Craftsman, Jet, etc. Features and accessories vary, prices vary, warranties, etc. No one makes the best of any one tool, and no one makes a line of duds either. When I'm in the market, I research models, features, and sale prices, then tend to jump on the best deal or the one that makes my heart race the fastest! Sometimes sale prices can shave over 30% off...if the savings are big, I'll overlook a few minor concerns, but I don't like to buy on price alone either. These are longterm tools and should be considered for the long haul and resale value too.

Comment

Working...
                    X